Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Round of 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

It must be embarrassing for a player that goes down, clutching his shin after diving, realising no one is arsed, so he has to get up and back in to position 😂

Pricks.

Do you know what grinds my gears?

When the camera is on fans who look like they’re contemplating suicide because their team is getting hammered, then when they see themselves on the big screen, they go all happy and mad for it, just because they’re on TV for 3 seconds.

Bipolar.

Absolute pet peeve that. If you're more concerned with making it onto the big screen at the stadium than the result then you shouldn't be there.

Do you know what grinds my gears?

When the camera is on fans who look like they’re contemplating suicide because their team is getting hammered, then when they see themselves on the big screen, they go all happy and mad for it, just because they’re on TV for 3 seconds. It takes the drama right out of it.

Bipolar.

Absolute pet peeve that. If you're more concerned with making it onto the big screen at the stadium than the result then you shouldn't be there.

That's not just a 'small team' trait. A clash of styles can create good games. I actually enjoyed portugal vs slovenia.

France vs Belgium wasn't a classic, for example.
But you can't assume that because the bigger sides play poorly in this format is how they would play in a format with jeopardy. It's telling that three of the poorest European Championships are the 2016, 2020, and 2024 editions. It's almost impossible for a good side to be eliminated in a group stage that allows three teams through from four groups.

Perhaps the better sides would still play poorly in a different format in 2024, but in general the likely outcome of a better format with jeopardy will tend towards producing better matches.

I get that people enjoy the festival aspect of tournaments, but this one - up to now - is not going to be replayed on nostalgic sports channels in 20 years time.

That said, the quarters are shaping up nicely...

But you can't assume that because the bigger sides play poorly in this format is how they would play in a format with jeopardy. It's telling that three of the poorest European Championships are the 2016, 2020, and 2024 editions. It's almost impossible for a good side to be eliminated in a group stage that allows three teams through from four groups.

Perhaps the better sides would still play poorly in a different format in 2024, but in general the likely outcome of a better format with jeopardy will tend towards producing better matches.

I get that people enjoy the festival aspect of tournaments, but this one - up to now - is not going to be replayed on nostalgic sports channels in 20 years time.

That said, the quarters are shaping up nicely...
Equally there's no guarantee the knock outs produce a good game. I'd argue they often spiral into negativity and fear of making errors. Especially when Southgate, G. is involved.

Aside from that jibe at poor much maligned Gareth, its true. There's tons of Euros and world cup games where caution rules. Or duff teams grind through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back