Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Round of 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hang on a minute: the hipsters were telling us Austria was where it was at.

Nah, I take your point. But I think the Turks have a better collective spirit about them and fancy the Dutch to be under a bit more pressure. I'm not sure the Dutch will give the Turks the appropriate respect and they have a tendency to get a bit complacent at times.

A hunch tells me the Turks will have a go and get through, no more than that.
I had a feeling they could surprise today, i said it one of the posts earlier today before the game.
That early goal definitely shocked the Austrians. Only really started to play in second half and it wasn't enough. Arnautovic especially looked poor.

But i think Netherlands got enough firepower to put them to the sword.

I'd probably go for a Spain-France, England-Turkey last four line-up, but not with any real conviction.

I think Spain are a better side than Germany, but we've often seen sides who were very good in the groups and last 16 crash out when things got real - and that side has quite often been Spain. But I think it'll take an epic performance from this Germany side to beat them, and I'd have plenty of doubts about some of their players having that in them (such as Sane, who unbelievably appears to be starting...).

I strongly fancy France to beat Portugal - somehow. That might be penalties, or more likely a drab 1-0.

England will beat Switzerland. England are used to being at the latter stages, the Swiss have never been in a semi-final. I don't see that changing.

And I have a hunch for the Turks against the Dutch, but who knows, maybe the Dutch are growing into it. I just don't think they have enough quality players to be a serious threat to make the final.

I had a feeling they could surprise today, i said it one of the posts earlier today before the game.
That early goal definitely shocked the Austrians. Only really started to play in second half and it wasn't enough. Arnautovic especially looked poor.

But i think Netherlands got enough firepower to put them to the sword.
Yes, you did predict an upset. Smart punt. I went with the Turks in my work predictiom comp. Thought it might be penalties, though.

Ronald Koeman strikes me as being one of those managers - Roberto is another - who can actually make a side worse. I have a bad feeling about the Dutch for that reason.

Yes, you did predict an upset. Smart punt. I went with the Turks in my work predictiom comp. Thought it might be penalties, though.

Ronald Koeman strikes me as being one of those managers - Roberto is another - who can actually make a side worse. I have a bad feeling about the Dutch for that reason.
I agree about Koeman but i think Dutch got good attack with Gakpo, Xavi Simmons and Malen.
Gakpo (surprisingly) look quite impressive on this tournament

I can think of another one.

England will beat Switzerland. England are used to being at the latter stages, the Swiss have never been in a semi-final. I don't see that changing.
I don't really see why this matters seeing as most of them have played in big games for their club sides? You have got players who have played for big clubs like Bayern Munich, Inter Milan, AC Milan, Liverpool, Juventus, Manchester City, Arsenal and Newcastle (lol) in that team. Playing at the business end of a tournament isn't alien to them or anything.

I'd probably go for a Spain-France, England-Turkey last four line-up, but not with any real conviction.

I think Spain are a better side than Germany, but we've often seen sides who were very good in the groups and last 16 crash out when things got real - and that side has quite often been Spain. But I think it'll take an epic performance from this Germany side to beat them, and I'd have plenty of doubts about some of their players having that in them (such as Sane, who unbelievably appears to be starting...).

I strongly fancy France to beat Portugal - somehow. That might be penalties, or more likely a drab 1-0.

And I have a hunch for the Turks against the Dutch, but who knows, maybe the Dutch are growing into it. I just don't think they have enough quality players to be a serious threat to make the final.

This didn’t matter in 2018 when Croatia beat England.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back