Confirmed Signing Ruben Vinagre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would we do this tho mate.

Hes not good enough defensively to justify him playing as a CB and as a CB, he would be mainly tasked with staying back, thus nullifying his attacking talent?

Im not saying hes bad as a defender, but it doesnt make sense to me.

I get people want them both to play, but tactically I see no benefit.
Playing on the left of a back 3 is not the same as playing CB in a back 4 though Goat is it. Plus having a natural left footer there gives us more balance, frees up the likes of Tarks to take a more central role where he would be more effective, and allows us to play a more attacking option like Vinagre in the LWB role. Plus we know that Myko is pretty solid defensively . Well worth a try in my opinion.

Wouldn't do it against the better teams like RS and City. I'd probably ditch the back 3 altogether and opt for a 433 or even a 4411 if we had better CMs than we have now.

The fact we haven’t done it yet, either after subs in a game last year or during pre season, suggests it’s not something they’re overly keen on.

I would be quite annoyed if we tried to shoehorn a left back we paid £15m for in at centre half to be honest - just sell him and buy a centre half if you don’t fancy him in the position he was bought for.

Personally I don’t seem to see it the same way as some other people. I thought some of his defending was a bit ropey but he had a good left foot on him.
I thought his defending was very ropey when he first came. But with hindsight I put that down to him being rusty following the winter break in Ukraine settling into the pace of the game here, and him being unfamiliar with the wingback role. His defending improved immensely by the end of the season, but I still don't think he's a natural wing back. Yes he seems to have a decent left peg but he isn't comfortable marauding down the left wing which is what that role demands in that system.

I'm hoping the main reason that Frank hasn't tried it yet is that he didn't have anybody to play the LWB role. He obviously didn't trust Nkounkou to do it. Now we have options.

Probably complete fantasy, but I have a sneaking suspicion that there’s been interest in Mykolenko and they wanted to be prepared if they were compelled to sell him to make another deal work at the end of the transfer window. Vinagre is a weaker defender, but faster and a much better dribbler, and adds some needed creativity, so I wouldn’t be angry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back