Salford v Everton - Saturday 27th July 2024 - 3pm

A predominantly U21 side 3 weeks before the season starts. Absolutely.

I've seen a PL side or two with plenty of first teamers get dumped out of the FA Cup by League 2 sides so a predominantly U21 side conceding a couple after 9 subs isn't a massive shock. Have a look at the EFL Trophy and how well PL U21 sides do in that.
The so called starting 11 played for 60 minutes without scoring a goal v Salford, the same 11 also were getting beat 2-0 v Sligo a few days earlier, exactly the same thing happened last pre season and we started badly then

The so called starting 11 played for 60 minutes without scoring a goal v Salford, the same 11 also were getting beat 2-0 v Sligo a few days earlier, exactly the same thing happened last pre season and we started badly then
I'd happily take any bet that the starting 11 for either of those pre-season friendlies won't be a starting 11 come the start of the season. And there were subs at HT - halves of football are traditionally 45 minutes not 60.

Everything about it screams minutes in legs and giving young players a bit of game time while waiting for a good chunk of the first team to be available. It's little more than a training session at this stage of pre-season.

Tbf it was an amazing effort to get the paper in shops by 5.45pm after a match on the Saturday. Full reports and scores from everywhere. And without AI
Yer, you could buy it on the way home after a swift pint when the match had finished.
Much better quality than the Pink that they used to do in Mancland too !

I know the gulf between the youth setup and being a regular contributor in the Premier league is immense but I'd like to see more from Dixon, I think he has shown so far that he could have a potential future in the squad whether that is in the near future or far off will be determined by how he takes the opportunitues provided but I thought he was the best player on the pitch against salford

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back