2021/22 Salomón Rondón

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad more and more people are seeing it.

Sure, not long ago I was saying he's probably the worst centre forward we've had in the Premier League era.

But, why I wanted him starting yesterday is because I think we're better with him upfront, than - remarkably, Brasil's number 9 - Richarlison.

For us, Richarlison is better wide when he can pickup pockets of space and carry the ball.

We don't have the team to supply Richarlison as a centre forward.

Rondon at least occupies a defender pretty well and in doing so, can create some space for Richarlison/Gray/Gordon - he's a presence - he offers a focal point/balance.

Agree on Rondon, but Richarlison was supplied with two chances yesterday that a mid table Premier League level centre forward would score 99/100. Indeed most centre backs would score those chances. To miss the target with both is simply not good enough and lack of service can’t be blamed.

Agree on Rondon, but Richarlison was supplied with two chances yesterday that a mid table Premier League level centre forward would score 99/100. Indeed most centre backs would score those chances. To miss the target with both is simply not good enough and lack of service can’t be blamed.

We're 19th in the Premier League for 'chances created'.

We're not playing balls through to Richarlison in the way Brazil do is the point. He's never on the last man/shoulder for us with top quality players around him.

Sure, he should be scoring yesterday (although the first, I think people are over egging the miss - drilled at pace/a lot of bodies in front of him). Bad miss, but not the shocker/sitter some are saying showing with stills;

But that's another point entirely.

My point/opinion is that we're currently better with Richarlison not leading the line.

We're not playing balls through to Richarlison in the way Brazil do is the point. He's never on the last man/shoulder for us with top quality players around him.

Sure, he should be scoring yesterday (although the first, I think people are over egging the miss - drilled at pace/a lot of bodies in front of him). Bad miss, but not the shocker/sitter some are saying showing with stills;

My point/opinion is that we're currently better with Richarlison not leading the line.

I don't disagree, but I don't think Rondon has 90 minutes in him, or maybe not even 60-70.

tbf Danny, he could have taken a touch, gone to visit his friends and family in Brazil, came back, took another touch and then slotted it.

Bloody hell that header looks even worse than it did last night as well :(

tbf Danny, he could have taken a touch, gone to visit his friends and family in Brazil, came back, took another touch and then slotted it.

Bloody hell that header looks even worse than it did last night as well :(

Not for me - pace on it/bodies in front of him. Snatched at it/should have scored but can understand why he didn't. It's not the sitter people are making it out to be.

The header was worse.

Not for me - pace on it/bodies in front of him. Snatched at it/should have scored but can understand why he didn't. It's not the sitter people are making it out to be.

The header was worse.
The header was right in front of me, I honestly had to sit down for a few minutes after it and compose myself.

But totally agree and ive said it for ages, Richy is terrible at leading the line.

The header was worse.

Feels like he snatches at most things mate. His goals return this season and last is absolutely crap but at least when he's out wide it can be a little more justified. Plus he drifts in and it makes him a little more difficult to mark.

Watching Pickford punt it long all night to Richarlison made my eyes bleed.

Rondon had to pretty much come out of retirement, his fitness on day one was possibly the lowest I've seen from any Everton player, as he neared fitness Benitez was sacked the damage was already done with the fans, if hes fit he deserves another chance.

Rondon had to pretty much come out of retirement, his fitness on day one was possibly the lowest I've seen from any Everton player, as he neared fitness Benitez was sacked the damage was already done with the fans, if hes fit he deserves another chance.
This is true this, some people see him as a Benitez player, he isnt, he is an Everton player and we need him out there

Guy can't get a break; having a terrific game and pulls up injured. Plenty of other problems with the team than Rondon

He was completely fine coming on against Palace. Taking Richarlison off for him was obviously insane, but he made our goal himself with his hold-up play and his frame, and could've had an open goal (and the equaliser) if Gordon had squared the ball instead of trying to go alone towards the end of the game

The hatred for a 3rd choice striker signed for nothing is really quite spectacular at times

Spot on - Benitez clearly was mistaken in how match fit he thought Rondon would be after all that time in a retirement league. But you can see now what he offers; people saying he scored a two yard tap-in are completely missing the point, its a tap-in that only happens because he is able to shrug off a defender easily, lay it off to Doucoure (who should be getting the shot on goal), and then following through on the deflection.

Again though, he's the 3rd choice striker - if defenders are having to double up on Rondon, that should be creating space elsewhere for the likes of Gray, Richarlison, Gordon to be getting in behind. If that isn't happening, that's not on Rondon - that's on the manager for setting us up badly and us then not being able to take advantage of that. He isn't mobile, you're right; but he doesn't actually have to be for his job in the team

Thought Dobbin was great when he came on and offered us something different, and Simms wasn't bad either considering he's coming back from a long layoff against Thiago Silva; but can people see what Rondon offers as a third choice striker based off of yesterday? Would've been useful to have someone who could hold the ball up to relieve some of that pressure on the defence
Glad you've finally come around lads. In Big Sal we trust.

1650562625773.png

Strongly suspect Rondon is better suited to these sorts of cameos once defenders are tired.

I also think that's where DCL is at too (or just not available, like yesterday). Which is something of a problem as I too subscribe to the view Richy works better not being the focal point for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.