2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watching the Ian Woan interview.

So Dyche, Woan and Stone all lived together for five years?

Dyche’s assistants are his old housemates?

It’s not just me, right?

This is a strange thing, no?
I dont think so...they probably worked 12 hrs a day, could swap ideas over a slice of toast etc. It must've worked for them seeing as they still work together

Sorry, I don’t think I’ve been clear.

I don’t mean it’s weird they lived together as young players. There’s nothing strange about that, especially back then when they weren’t on silly wages.

I mean it’s weird that Dyche’s coaching team 30 years later is made up of the people he lived with back then.

As long as it works. If he thought they were complete tools and offered nothing then he probably would find someone else.

Just watching the Ian Woan interview.

So Dyche, Woan and Stone all lived together for five years?

Dyche’s assistants are his old housemates?

It’s not just me, right?

This is a strange thing, no?
I think there families all stayed in their home town. In effect during the week the three of them lived together like a bunch of workers might do all over the country working away. Returning back on sat evening for the weekends.
It’s definitely better than living in a hotel room and hitting the booze every night.

If you think it’s perfectly reasonable that the best coaching team Dyche could construct from the pool of global talent are the blokes that he happened to live with 30 years ago, then fair enough.

I’m just registering my surprise at that.

I guess the concern I have from what I am reading is this. If they are really good mates, what if they are under performing pin their roles at any time…. I would think he is less likely to discipline or sack an under performing coach if he’s his best mate. Granted it’s not something you see much of in football but I would think that coaches / back room staff in general can also under perform like any employee at a club….god knows we’ve seen more than our fair share of them. I also agree that is becoming a bit monotonous now around him, his team and his methods but I suspect this is being driven by the club more than him to take some of the best away from other areas of focus.

I guess the concern I have from what I am reading is this. If they are really good mates, what if they are under performing pin their roles at any time…. I would think he is less likely to discipline or sack an under performing coach if he’s his best mate. Granted it’s not something you see much of in football but I would think that coaches / back room staff in general can also under perform like any employee at a club….god knows we’ve seen more than our fair share of them. I also agree that is becoming a bit monotonous now around him, his team and his methods but I suspect this is being driven by the club more than him to take some of the best away from other areas of focus.
I mean ultimately, if it works, it works - I’m just highlighting that it’s a bit odd.

It also has an echo of the ‘jobs for the boys’ cosy setup that has been fostered elsewhere at the club by the leadership.

It’s the principle as much as anything that has raised an eyebrow with me - but I do acknowledge that his familiarity with those two could be of clear benefit. They obviously must understand what he wants and needs to communicate to the players.

I mean ultimately, if it works, it works - I’m just highlighting that it’s a bit odd.

It also has an echo of the ‘jobs for the boys’ cosy setup that has been fostered elsewhere at the club by the leadership.

It’s the principle as much as anything that has raised an eyebrow with me - but I do acknowledge that his familiarity with those two could be of clear benefit. They obviously must understand what he wants and needs to communicate to the players.
As you say if it works it works, i think it does to a degree, he was able to keep Burnley up with the resources he had available in the Prem for a number of years, but two additional points to that 1) given how long he was in the Prem with Burnley could he have done a little more sustainable long term planning with them, I genuinely don’t know and 2) it remains to be seen whether his processes are going to be the right fit for Everton both in terms of results and style. I can see why people draw comparisons with Moyes but Moyes was a lot younger and had to learn the Prem on the job. I like Dyche and I believe he will get more time than previous managers even if we are relegated, just have some concerns longer term

For me, they have worked with each other for a long time and will know each other inside out and what their strengths and weaknesses are. I’m sure they will have also developed a way or dealing with the difficult conversations if one is underperforming etc.

I can understand the jobs for the boys thing but every manager brings their own team, usually people who have been with them across many jobs and many years. Look at Allardyce bringing Sammy Lee. Lampard bringing Cole etc. and even more so, Carlo bringing his son.

For me, they have worked with each other for a long time and will know each other inside out and what their strengths and weaknesses are. I’m sure they will have also developed a way or dealing with the difficult conversations if one is underperforming etc.

I can understand the jobs for the boys thing but every manager brings their own team, usually people who have been with them across many jobs and many years. Look at Allardyce bringing Sammy Lee. Lampard bringing Cole etc. and even more so, Carlo bringing his son.
Yeah, you’re right - I can’t disagree with any of that.

I don’t have a strong sense that the setup is wrong, at all, just that it’s a bit strange.

I think also that it relates to Dyche’s straightforwardness. He’s very uncomplicated and honest, and as such you’d think trust is very high on his list of priorities. He needs that straightforward attitude to be carried across the whole setup for it to take, and he knows these two will do that after knowing them for decades.

Agreed, yet my only issue is that the whole alpha male image doesn't always work. There were issues with this within the Burnley squad before he was sacked.

There needs to be a balance.

It only has to work for a few months to keep us up. If it causes problems down the line we can deal with it then but as long as it sparks a decent short term run of form I’ll take it.

If you think it’s perfectly reasonable that the best coaching team Dyche could construct from the pool of global talent are the blokes that he happened to live with 30 years ago, then fair enough.

Sounds like it works. Know each other inside out and as Woan said they have heated arguments over selection and tactics but Dyche obviously has the final word that they accept. Sounds like a good team and as Woan said...no Yes men. The Bond of 30 years is strong and they will not have sulks if their ideas are not acted upon.

Coaching teams are the single most overrated things in football.

It only has to work for a few months to keep us up. If it causes problems down the line we can deal with it then but as long as it sparks a decent short term run of form I’ll take it.
We can only look at the next few months and staying up thelwell might be planning long term regarding support staff but dyche's only concern is keeping us in this league and whatever ever methods possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back