2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think with Moyes it wasn't necessarily the scrappy football that was getting to people but more the cowardliness of it against bigger sides. Even under Dyche when we've gone to the bigger sides we're often under the cosh but we do at least attempt to have some kind of attacking threat on the counter. With Moyes it was just sit in and hope for a set piece at best. And Phil Neville said Moyes' mantra when away to the bigger sides was "let's get out of here alive"

100%. And he took it everywhere it seems. He did well for west ham but i listened to a few of them on phone in shows and it was the negativity approach that they couldnt take. He couldnt ever shake that off.

I think with Moyes it wasn't necessarily the scrappy football that was getting to people but more the cowardliness of it against bigger sides. Even under Dyche when we've gone to the bigger sides we're often under the cosh but we do at least attempt to have some kind of attacking threat on the counter. With Moyes it was just sit in and hope for a set piece at best. And Phil Neville said Moyes' mantra when away to the bigger sides was "let's get out of here alive"
Our entire game plan against every team is sit back and hope for a set piece.

We literally have the highest percent of set piece goals of any European top flight team last season.

Other than Sheffield United we scored the fewest goals last season.

So yeah Moyes was crap away at the top sides, but let’s not pretend we are anything other than mostly grim against most teams in the league.

We were crap as in the previous two seasons needs a clear out and get players with, flair, heart and desire. Hoping we’re not in for another season of hit and hope.

Our entire game plan against every team is sit back and hope for a set piece.

We literally have the highest percent of set piece goals of any European top flight team last season.

Other than Sheffield United we scored the fewest goals last season.

So yeah Moyes was crap away at the top sides, but let’s not pretend we are anything other than mostly grim against most teams in the league.

Not sure this is true... last game of the season at Arsenal we were sitting back, but looking to break with numbers which we did on several occasions... our lack of quality on the ball let us down.

I think we ended up only behind Arsenal in terms of goals scored from corners last season? We were 14th in the league in terms of number of corners won... That just says to me that we are very effective from set pieces.

Who knows, a bit of extra pace/quality on the ball next season and we might become more successful at counter attacking.

Not sure this is true... last game of the season at Arsenal we were sitting back, but looking to break with numbers which we did on several occasions... our lack of quality on the ball let us down.

I think we ended up only behind Arsenal in terms of goals scored from corners last season? We were 14th in the league in terms of number of corners won... That just says to me that we are very effective from set pieces.

Who knows, a bit of extra pace/quality on the ball next season and we might become more successful at counter attacking.
We have been better at doing that against the top teams ironically as they leave us more space. But I’m not sure the stats would back up that we actually score more that way.

I’m not sure the composition of the forward line will change next season. Especially if dyche is desperate to get Harrison back.

We have been better at doing that against the top teams ironically as they leave us more space. But I’m not sure the stats would back up that we actually score more that way.

I’m not sure the composition of the forward line will change next season. Especially if dyche is desperate to get Harrison back.

I think that's been true for years now to be honest... how often have we bemoaned our inability to break teams down who sit back and defend?

We've actually been very successful at beating the teams in and around us at the bottom of the table, but we've done it 'ugly', rather than out-footballing them.

I think that's been true for years now to be honest... how often have we bemoaned our inability to break teams down who sit back and defend?

We've actually been very successful at beating the teams in and around us at the bottom of the table, but we've done it 'ugly', rather than out-footballing them.
Oh the days when we could do both….
IMG_8069.webp

Beating these teams regularly is out footballing them regardless of any subjective aesthetic optics. You put a league table of us b the teams around us this season and we’re miles ahead at the top. You don’t do that without out footballing them. In those games we defended better than they did, we executed set pieces better than they did, we scored more important goals than they did, probably won more duels, transitioned better than they did. This is also known as outplaying them.

The result speak for themselves, we beat Burnley three times without conceding a goal, did the double over Forest without conceding a goal, 4 points of Sheffield United, played Palace 4 times won 2 drew 2, did the double over Brentford. It was only Luton we struggled against really.

If this isn’t out footballing them I don’t know what is? The aim of the game is to score more than your opponent, it’s not to rack up possession stats and make triangle passes for 90 minutes.

Beating these teams regularly is out footballing them regardless of any subjective aesthetic optics. You put a league table of us b the teams around us this season and we’re miles ahead at the top. You don’t do that without out footballing them. In those games we defended better than they did, we executed set pieces better than they did, we scored more important goals than they did, probably won more duels, transitioned better than they did. This is also known as outplaying them.

The result speak for themselves, we beat Burnley three times without conceding a goal, did the double over Forest without conceding a goal, 4 points of Sheffield United, played Palace 4 times won 2 drew 2, did the double over Brentford. It was only Luton we struggled against really.

If this isn’t out footballing them I don’t know what is? The aim of the game is to score more than your opponent, it’s not to rack up possession stats and make triangle passes for 90 minutes.

By 'not out-footballing' them, I meant more along the lines of the fact we didn't play them off the park. I fully agree with you, I've not doubt in the games we won we will generally have out-fought our opponents, been more clinical, defended better than them etc, but they weren't exactly performances where you can look back on them and say 'blimey, we battered them didn't we?'. Burnley at home was awful, but we won.

Not that it matters imo, a win is a win no matter how you earn it.

Very nice
Thanks. Feel free to use our passport and get extorted for more money.

Actually funny story… I was outside of Juventus stadium in March 2022. Had to buy a mask as the Italians were still worried about COVID. Some guy thought I was British. I have a THICK an American south accent. Not even remotely close to British. Dude asked for sterling. Was thinking he wanted forks and spoons. Then it hit me…

100%. And he took it everywhere it seems. He did well for west ham but i listened to a few of them on phone in shows and it was the negativity approach that they couldnt take. He couldnt ever shake that off.
Hence the reason I would never take Moyes back. He built a half decent team over 11 seasons and was happy enough with it. Bottled games against bigger teams but as long as he finished top half he would pat himself on the back. He could have built further but think he was more than satisfied with top half

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back