2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the game has moved on and it’s pretty obvious that the successful teams play possession football. Everton will need to develop this style to compete, that’s my opinion. Whether that’s under Dyche or another manager, time will tell.
Successful teams usually have the best players.

Burnley and Manchester City are pretty much copy and paste, but the difference is the quality of the players.

Let me take another example: LFC were quite direct during the first period under Klopp. As they gained success, broke transfer records and bought better players, opponents gradually became less risk-averse. They gave away less space.

Klopp therefore had to modify his style, and they had to become more skilled at manipulating the opponent with the ball. However, when LFC competed in Europe, facing equal teams, they were suddenly more direct again and less concerned with possession.

Burnley and Manchester City are pretty much copy and paste, but the difference is the quality of the players.

Let me take another example: LFC were quite direct during the first period under Klopp. As they gained success, broke transfer records and bought better players, opponents gradually became less risk-averse. They gave away less space.

Klopp therefore had to modify his style, and they had to become more skilled at manipulating the opponent with the ball. However, when LFC competed in Europe, facing equal teams, they were suddenly more direct again and less concerned with possession.

The thing with Dyche though, is that he has never had a level of quality with the group of players that he's worked with. His strategy at Burnley made far more sense than whatever it is Kompany thinks he is going to be able to achieve.

Dyche makes the most out of the resources available to him - and who is to say that he won't try and play a more 'attractive' style when he gets players able to do so?

Man City too with the purchase of Haaland altered their style to be more direct.

Dyche is a safety first manager.

That is absolutely fine for our current situation .

However if ultimately we want to see a progressive , attacking team Dyche isn't your man.

I think we watch different Everton games mate. Id be critical of im being too open or going for it too much especially at home, that showed in our very early games.

He is anything but safety first in my opinion, we go out to win every game and compete.

Its actually really refreshing and its a change to the culture and mentality at the club.

The thing with Dyche though, is that he has never had a level of quality with the group of players that he's worked with. His strategy at Burnley made far more sense than whatever it is Kompany thinks he is going to be able to achieve.

Dyche makes the most out of the resources available to him - and who is to say that he won't try and play a more 'attractive' style when he gets players able to do so?
Agreed. At the same time as I like what Kompany is trying, or to put it another way; I like variety in ways of playing football.

Personally, I think it has been a long time since we have been as aesthetically satisfying to look at as now - it was a short period under Ancelotti. The point is that we play with a purpose.

Agreed. At the same time as I like what Kompany is trying, or to put it another way; I like variety in ways of playing football.

Personally, I think it has been a long time since we have been as aesthetically satisfying to look at as now - it was a short period under Ancelotti. The point is that we play with a purpose.

Agreed. It's like the people who forget we played some cracking stuff under Moyes at times because it wasn't possession based.

Especially against equal teams, and that is my point.
My point was I don’t think that the style we play will work universally. As you mentioned both Liverpool and Man City change styles to suit opponents. We need to similarly change depending on the opposition. “Horses for Courses”, and all that. The style we play at the moment is quite direct, don’t get me wrong, we play some nice football, we have some very good footballers in the team / squad. I think the present set up is perfect for counter attacking. I do think we will need to play a more possession based game if we are to dominate teams that are similar to our present set up, teams that will come to Goodison, sit in and try to hit on the counter. I don’t think we are a million miles from being able to do this, I think a more technical no 10 as an option instead of Doucoure could help.
A change of formation could also help, perhaps a switch to a 3/4/2/1 could work.

As soon as James got injured Ancelotti sacked off the front foot football and we became a counter attacking team good at set pieces. He knew he didn’t have the players to play that game without James. It’s the same now, possession football is easy when you’ve got City’s squad of players and people like Silva De Bruyne Rodri in midfield looking after it, some of our players can barely pass a ball so it would be ridiculous if Dyche to try and win games this way. He’d just end up the same way as Lampard did being run through by most of the league.

As soon as James got injured Ancelotti sacked off the front foot football and we became a counter attacking team good at set pieces. He knew he didn’t have the players to play that game without James. It’s the same now, possession football is easy when you’ve got City’s squad of players and people like Silva De Bruyne Rodri in midfield looking after it, some of our players can barely pass a ball so it would be ridiculous if Dyche to try and win games this way. He’d just end up the same way as Lampard did being run through by most of the league.
I think we have good football players all over the park, I don’t think we are far from being able to play a possession based game if required.

My point was I don’t think that the style we play will work universally. As you mentioned both Liverpool and Man City change styles to suit opponents. We need to similarly change depending on the opposition. “Horses for Courses”, and all that. The style we play at the moment is quite direct, don’t get me wrong, we play some nice football, we have some very good footballers in the team / squad. I think the present set up is perfect for counter attacking. I do think we will need to play a more possession based game if we are to dominate teams that similar to our present set up, teams that will come to Goodison, sit in and try to hit on the counter. I don’t think we are a million miles from being able to do this, I think a more technical no 10 as an option instead of Doucoure could help.

I don't think we really disagree.

I think we have good football players all over the park, I don’t think we are far from being able to play a possession based game if required.

We can’t play one if any of Keane Coleman Gueye or Doucoure are in the starting 11. They can’t handle a football and you only need one player who can’t handle it for the whole possession based system to break down. You don’t find any players like these in City or Arsenal.

We can’t play one if any of Keane Coleman Gueye or Doucoure are in the starting 11. They can’t handle a football and you only need one player who can’t handle it for the whole possession based system to break down. You don’t find any players like these in City or Arsenal.
Only Doucoure is a starter, I don’t think we are far away from being able to play a different style if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back