2023/24 Sean Dyche

Then he is deluded. He gave the reins to absolute useless DOF's who have made the squad what it is. Can't see how this is always on the manager as it never changes.
He never gave them the reigns whatsoever, that's half the problem. If you want to go down the DOF model then you need to let that person choose who they want to work with and let them make the signings that fit within their vision/strategy for the club. You don't then have a board interfering over the top with their own 'player ideas' and the special 'transfer committees' handing out ludicrous contacts that don't fit the clubs budget.

He never gave them the reigns whatsoever, that's half the problem. If you want to go down the DOF model then you need to let that person choose who they want to work with and let them make the signings that fit within their vision/strategy for the club. You don't then have a board interfering over the top with their own 'player ideas' and the special 'transfer committees' handing out ludicrous contacts that don't fit the clubs budget.
OK fair enough but my point on blaming the manager all the time still stands as the state of the squad is not on him. Whether he is the right man or not is not on him either. Think some are getting hung up on a manager change being the answer when it is far from it.

I'm much more a fan of Thelwell than I am of Brands or Walsh, but I have to agree; it's clear neither Brands nor Walsh had complete control over the football operations. Moshiri constantly got involved, making decisions on transfers and abusing his power. If Brands had been given complete control, he'd have been able to put together a comprehensive plan similar to what Thelwell has tried to do. Dyche is working with absolute scraps; we've lost all of our best creative players, and players like Dobbin and Chermiti are seen as the players to save us, potentially summarising how poorly we've been run in the Moshiri era.

OK fair enough but my point on blaming the manager all the time still stands as the state of the squad is not on him. Whether he is the right man or not is not on him either. Think some are getting hung up on a manager change being the answer when it is far from it.
It's not right in the middle of the season I agree but there is a large and varied skillset required for modern day running of clubs and Dyche just doesn't have it in his locker sadly and he doesn't come across as the type of guy who is looking to evolve himself either. Old school manager types like him and Moyes are very much a thing of the past now, most teams have more of a training ground coach type in charge, they are only interested in improving players and working on match prep and tactics, it's really only us, West Ham and probably Sheff Utd with Wilder every other team has more of a coach type in charge.

Still 33 points to play for, most of which are against teams in the bottom half of the league which is the kind of run-in you'd want.

Although the last 2 games in particular weren't must win, the dropped points means we've only managed to put more pressure on ourselves for the run in.

On a tactical note, we have had one of the better defences in the league this season, with both central defenders outstanding on many occasions. Yet we’ve lost two headed goals recently, Dunk and Zouma, where the nearest person marking a big defender has been Godfrey. Both goals were costly , and while I don’t expect Tarks and Branthwaite to be everywhere Godfrey is not of their size and I’d have thought Dyche would have allocated one of them to deal with such challenges.

On a tactical note, we have had one of the better defences in the league this season, with both central defenders outstanding on many occasions. Yet we’ve lost two headed goals recently, Dunk and Zouma, where the nearest person marking a big defender has been Godfrey. Both goals were costly , and while I don’t expect Tarks and Branthwaite to be everywhere Godfrey is not of their size and I’d have thought Dyche would have allocated one of them to deal with such challenges.
I have no doubt it's a weakness that's well recognised by opposition managers

but dyche fan boys like you make out that the fans that want to see a better brand of football,
There’s only 2 styles ,
Dyche’s joe kinnear Wimbledon 1994 or Martinez 2015. There’s an awful lot in between

There's only probably been 1 season of a better brand of football at EFC since 1995.

Martinez' first season.

Godfrey can't head a ball. Never had been.

Coincidence we've conceded 2 when he's played?

Bascombe (I know, I know) summed up our predicament pretty well in his review of the West Ham match - "...they do not have the skill or the imagination to hurt opponents in different ways. Every visiting side knows what’s coming, the question being whether they have the physical and psychological capacity to survive and thrive amid the aerial bombardment and chase for second balls. West Ham are the latest to do so."

We do the exact same thing every week and against all opposition, every other team knows exactly how we line up and exactly how we're going to play. That's on Dyche.

It's all about results, isn't it?

This is the form table since we last won a game on 16th December against Burnley;

1709563751572.png

If our next 10 games are the same as the last - we go down.

... up next,

Man Utd Away
Bournemouth Away
Newcastle Away
Burnley Home

... if we don't get a win/5+ points from those, that would be 14 league games without a win - too many.

You'd then have to decide whether we trust a manager to force the issue and start winning games or press the panic button.

I really do worry about our mentality at Goodison, and Dyches' football going into these the likes of Burnley, Nottingham Forest, Brentford and Sheff Utd with the pressure of needing to win. We can't do %, negative football at home because they'll dig in deep, and we won't have the quality in the final third and we'll bottle it.

He was spot on with his last comments - it's his, and his coaching teams responsibility as much as any to start scoring goals but the worry is;
  • Dyche has coached 303 games in the Premier League his teams have scored 297 goals in those games, less than 1 goal a game.

It's all about results, isn't it?

This is the form table since we last won a game on 16th December against Burnley;

View attachment 247927

If our next 10 games are the same as the last - we go down.

... up next,

Man Utd Away
Bournemouth Away
Newcastle Away
Burnley Home

... if we don't get a win/5+ points from those, that would be 14 league games without a win - too many.

You'd then have to decide whether we trust a manager to force the issue and start winning games or press the panic button.

I really do worry about our mentality at Goodison, and Dyches' football going into these the likes of Burnley, Nottingham Forest, Brentford and Sheff Utd with the pressure of needing to win. We can't do %, negative football at home because they'll dig in deep, and we won't have the quality in the final third and we'll bottle it.

He was spot on with his last comments - it's his, and his coaching teams responsibility as much as any to start scoring goals but the worry is;
  • Dyche has coached 303 games in the Premier League his teams have scored 297 goals in those games, less than 1 goal a game.
7 goals scored. Least amount in the league. So so poor.