2023/24 Sean Dyche

We won four games in a row immediately after the points deduction. Far and away our best run this season.
Well, we lost the first game to Man United after the deduction, but then went on a run, but as far as I remember we beat Brentford, West Ham and Palace before the deduction, drew Brighton and lost vs Liverpool. The run in 2024 is really bad tho.

Back when we had that purple patch of results - what, like 6 months ago now? - I said that I didn't think his tactics had gotten any better or his substitutions, etc. but that at least he had figured out how to get them to fight. And that fight would carry us for a bit, but eventually there had to be more, because you can't just sustain that week-in-week-out for a whole season. Couldn't have been more right.

And now we've even lost that fighting spirit too. So what's left?

That second half today was complete capitulation. Embarrassing.

if Dyche can address this lacklustre mentality once again, we will see a completely different team. Chances will naturally increase and teams won’t be able to hurt us the way they are doing now.

It’s really a simple fix, but I’m not sure if the players are believing in such approach anymore. Their pressing and desire to win the ball back is abysmal at best.

I’m not sure who is to blame, Dyche or the players.

Watching us at the moment is like watching the same game over and over on repeat,

The reason why we're so bad in the final third isn't just down to the players either, there's 0 movement off the ball, the wingers have 0 support and are isolated. They're expected to do a lot to either get a cross in or win a foul. It's embarrassing to watch at times. Dyche deserves credit for making us better defensively, that's about it.

if Dyche can address this lacklustre mentality once again, we will see a completely different team. Chances will naturally increase and teams won’t be able to hurt us the way they are doing now.

It’s really a simple fix, but I’m not sure if the players are believing in such approach anymore. Their pressing and desire to win the ball back is abysmal at best.

I’m not sure who is to blame, Dyche or the players.
There arent a Richarlison to save Everton once again...