2023/24 Sean Dyche

Got to be honest, as much as I loved beating the RS the other night and making them cry, i still would prefer not to see this fella in the dugout again next season. I know he has had many things against him on and off the field but lets be honest, the football has been terrible for much of the season. Needs must i know but surely we can want and do better than this for the future. We will more than likely just remain a bottom feeder for the foreseeable with this fella in charge.

Let us always remember.
We aren't battling relegation because of Sean Dyche, he has us on 41 points and safe long ago.
We are battling relegation because of Kenwright and Moshiri being clowns.
We had a terrible run of results but without the deduction it still would have meant little in the grand scheme.
We can't afford to sack more managers and we need a man manager as we're not spending big any time soon.
Stick.

There could very well be a ceiling that Dyche hits with us

I guess it depends on what happens with the ownership

He didn't have much to spend at Burnley so he was essentially getting blood out of a stone

That's been the case here as well

Who knows, if we actually ever get to spend money again then maybe he'll be capable of doing what Moyes did and get us back in the hunt for Europe and Cups?

…pretty much my thinking, I’d like to see him with an effective DoF and a decent budget as I think he could give it a good go.

It is reasonable but I think we have to say its more than just the derby win as well. The 15 game run was bad and its fine for us to remember that but we have to balance it by saying that if we'd won say 2 games in that run then we'd be in the top half on points actually won and that would have been miles better than anybody would have predicted at the start of the season so overall hes done well.
Yeah, fair but if we'd lost or drawn against Burnley or Forest which was entirely possible, we could be in a real scrap to stay up now.
There's tons not to be happy about, the luton losses, the way he set up against Palace, the way they collapsed against West ham, the poor decision making and on and on. I think it's reasonable to have lost faith in him over that period.
But, post Chelsea, he's seemed to manage to turn it around, so credit for that. Question is, which is the real Dyche? Maybe both.

Yeah, fair but if we'd lost or drawn against Burnley or Forest which was entirely possible, we could be in a real scrap to stay up now.
There's tons not to be happy about, the luton losses, the way he set up against Palace, the way they collapsed against West ham, the poor decision making and on and on. I think it's reasonable to have lost faith in him over that period.
But, post Chelsea, he's seemed to manage to turn it around, so credit for that. Question is, which is the real Dyche? Maybe both.
I think it is both and it always is because not everything has to be polar he's not an amazing manager who is going to constantly surprise us with his tactical genius but he's also not the clueless dinosaur some people want to say he is. We're a bottom half team and people need to get to grips with that because when you're in a position like we are there will obviously be lots of things to not be happy about it goes with the territory. Brighton have been battered about half a dozen times this season including losing 4 0 to Luton Bournemouth didn't win until about November Brentford lost 14 out of 18 games its just how things go for teams like us. I think you've misunderstood what I mean about the bad run its not about an if only situation saying we're so close to challenging for Europe its about saying if we hadn't had a run like that then our position would be better than anybody would have believed was possible at the start of the season so what difference does it make whether our points have come in streaks or been spaced out evenly.

Last edited:
Meh, if it gets results then I'm not bothered really

My only issue with Dyche is that he probably is going to favour journeymen over youth, which was what annoyed me the most about Moyes also

If he buys some journeymen who can actually get the job done though and we can be pushing for European places, then I'll be satisfied until a better prospect comes along
But no prospect in buying leaves us in the same position as now?

We all get emotional and fume when things go wrong...

Do I think these the man long term? No...
Not for a club that want to improve and challenge at the too...

Right now, he's the closest thing we have to our most successful manager in my lifetime (91) David moves...

Moves got us competitive and into Europe, starting off with a journey man squad and over time added a blend of quality into a hard working grafting side....
Even still we had blips and random thrashings...
Dyche has to be given a chance to see what he can do in the short term while we get things off the pitch in order...
One of the top defensive sides statistically, we just need a bit of pace and creativity up top to compliment the defence

Don't underestimate how that 12 points deduction may have effected how he approached games this season.

I know he doesn't have a reputation for silky football at the best of times, but that pressure surely took away any possibility to get a foot on the ball and play through midfield a bit more. At times we've seen some good combination play: the second goal against Forest was the end of a 16 pass move for example and we did ok building form midfield against that lot the other night, regardless of the Kopite propaganda machine churning out all the 'set piece' team stuff. When we get our noses in front we can relax and play.

There's also the fact that he's had almost 18 months with these players now and he'll have the strength of them and what they can possibly do; and a pre-season with them, and maybe a couple of his own players to be purchased funded by a sale of a player he hadn't bought, and we can maybe see a different balance between direct and indirect football. The derby had that balance and we can morph into that with the right purchases in the window.

…pretty much my thinking, I’d like to see him with an effective DoF and a decent budget as I think he could give it a good go.
Yeah I mean it definitely interesting to give him a decent budget and see what happens. I was definitely on his case a bit during the bad run, which was dire, but overall he’s done what was asked of him. In fact every time I was about to get the bed sheets out we went on a run of wins lol

and I don’t doubt he has had some head melting issues to deal with behind the scenes.

Meh, if it gets results then I'm not bothered really

My only issue with Dyche is that he probably is going to favour journeymen over youth, which was what annoyed me the most about Moyes also

If he buys some journeymen who can actually get the job done though and we can be pushing for European places, then I'll be satisfied until a better prospect comes along
Trouble is none of us know how much, if any, say he gets in transfers unless I'm mistaken and he has come out and said it's his department. None of the incoming transfers so far strike me as definitely being marked out by Dyche.

He has a better squad that what Lampard had last year.
And no disrespect to Burnley, but this is Everton we’re talking about. He was at Burnley 10yrs than sat twiddling his thumbs for 12 months after getting sacked. Why did no bigger clubs look to take him from Burnley ??
Really? He took over from the same squad (lost Iwobi) and kept you up - you were absolutely going down under Lampard... Lampard couldn't even grt Derby to finish higher than 5th in the Champ with a gargantuan wage budget and players like Tomori and Mason Mount!

No disrespect taken, I'm fully aware of the size of Everton and where the club is/wants to be and the aspirations of the fan base.

It also doesn't work quite like how you're suggesting -

Dyche got sacked yes, but any club taking him on would have to take on his contract.. I don't know the exact details of it but it's out there.. As to why no other club came in for him during his time at Burnley, simple really -

1) Perceptions as I alluded to earlier
2) Also... They may have done! He was on a good number, especially till around 2018/20 ish when Mike Garlick wanted to sell up and started withdrawing investment and bringing in others to work on the recruitment side of things behind the scene (Mike Rigg). Until then Dyche had a pretty lucrative contract (especially for a club of our size), in a very stable job/work environment and quite literally could shape the club/footballing operation as he saw fit. How many other places were offering that?

Simon Jordan on TalkS**te said Sean Dyche is a decent manager for keeping sides up in the premier league and not for taking sides further up the table, think only once he took Burnley to a top half finish.
Twice actually, 7th & 10th.

Doing that with the size of our budget at that time was quite remarkable tbh. We are under no illusions as Burnley fans and certainly do not expect to remain in the PL for a prolonged period - it really is nigh on impossible. Most teams that aren't top 10-14 spenders will one season be up against it and could drop.

It's pretty unfair to judge him on not being a perennial top half contender with Burnley (especially Burnley of 5 years ago) - he had quite literally transformed the club (developed training ground/infrastructure with PL money) which has allowed us to kick on. Before he came we were lulling back to being Champ cannon fodder, but Dyche's tenure has enabled us to become a really, really strong player at the top of the Champ with hopes of being able to consolidate as a PL team for a few seasons at a time.

If he gets you into Bramley Moore with out more shenanigans and getting the financial side of things in order, and you guys decide to part ways then that's fair enough - I think he'll have done a decent job and one day will be remembered for stabling the ship, though I believe it'd be fair to give him a proper crack at it.

It's hard to please such a big fanbase that will still have a significant % of supporters remembering the success of the 80s - certainly doesn't help either seeing your gobshite neighbours being resurgent under Klipperty but I do think there has to be an element of realism involved in acknowledging where you're at right now - and that isn't Dyche's fault.

Really? He took over from the same squad (lost Iwobi) and kept you up - you were absolutely going down under Lampard... Lampard couldn't even grt Derby to finish higher than 5th in the Champ with a gargantuan wage budget and players like Tomori and Mason Mount!

No disrespect taken, I'm fully aware of the size of Everton and where the club is/wants to be and the aspirations of the fan base.

It also doesn't work quite like how you're suggesting -

Dyche got sacked yes, but any club taking him on would have to take on his contract.. I don't know the exact details of it but it's out there.. As to why no other club came in for him during his time at Burnley, simple really -

1) Perceptions as I alluded to earlier
2) Also... They may have done! He was on a good number, especially till around 2018/20 ish when Mike Garlick wanted to sell up and started withdrawing investment and bringing in others to work on the recruitment side of things behind the scene (Mike Rigg). Until then Dyche had a pretty lucrative contract (especially for a club of our size), in a very stable job/work environment and quite literally could shape the club/footballing operation as he saw fit. How many other places were offering that?
So you’re basically saying dyche has no ambition to better himself, happy to sit on a fat contract with his slippers on, his only remit to finish 17th. Personally I’m not having that, he would have gone if a big club had come knocking

Regarding Lampard, I was referring to his squad first half of last Season compared to dyche this season, Lampard had 20 games I think, first 13 the squad was poor, he lost Mina and Godfrey 1st game doucoure 2nd game. Onana and James garner were 2 20yr old kids with no prem experience, Rondon was our only striker first 5, maupay then turned up and DCL played I think in 2 of the opening 13. Yes dyche had a similar squad to work with and lost Gordon not iwobi. But I think he had DCL more and Mina and doucoure were back fit for the 2nd half of the season , dyche is a much better manager

Lampard got derby to a play off final and they lost their best striker Vydra to you. And mason mount was a kid, think it was his first season in men’s football.

I just think his style and record on scoring goals would have put a lot of teams off with an ounce of ambition, including Everton as moshiri could have done for him 3/4yrs before