2023/24 Sean Dyche

Does anyone actually think these players are capable of playing the kind of football you want them to? Keep in mind, earlier in the season when we played a bit more expansively we got torn to shreds on the counter. There were a lot of games we probably should have won given the quality of chances we created, and didn't because players were missing chances. Now we're playing smarter, grinding out wins, famous wins too, and now the outcry is... play better football?

It's not as simple as just 'playing better football' either, and it's not like managers who play better football don't magically avoid winless runs. Graham Potter at Brighton famously chastised the fans for booing the team after a 13 game winless run. I don't know, maybe it gives them more credit in the bank for most of you if we're stringing loads of passes together, I personally like more direct, fast football but that's just personal preference. I think assuming that if we played more open we'd be doing better this season is a bit naive. I think this squad would crumble trying to play that. It's a mish-mash of about six different managers ideas of football, all cobbled together, injury prone, and on silly wages. We won't see 08 Barcelona anytime soon from this lot.

Dyche isn't perfect, the winless run was terrible, and gave me a lot of pause towards some of his stubbornness. The football isn't the most pleasing on the eye, I think some in the meda have described it as 'agricultural' although 'rubbish' might be a better word. Then again, who really cares what kind of football we play if we're winning? Our best season in ages, with Carlo Ancelotti, we played a style that could hardly be described as good football by anyone watching, but thanks to the quality of players we had, we were able to find new ways to unlock defenses and have those moments of magic. We've gone from James Rodriguez to Jack Harrison. And despite that, we could potentially end the season only nine points away from the Everton team that was 2nd for large chunks of the season. For me, given all that has transpired, that is an achievement. Keep in mind, no team with a points deduction has ever stayed up, and we have the second largest ever. He deserves next season at the very least, and I expect a lot of you will be changing your tune come December.

I'll try to log on more I guess to avoid people crying about 'hiding in a bunker' before then ;)

You’ve made mitigating excuses for these managers but none for Dyche. When he came in last season he had a terrible squad, confidence on the floor, already behind the relegation rivals, and DCl was injured. This season we’ve had points deductions, injuries to Coleman Doucoure Gana DCL McNeil and he had to sell most of our attacking players in the summer.

Can’t just say Chelsea is Chelsea. Potter had unbelievable quality in every position there and was awful, absolutely awful, the football was utterly turgid and the results were disastrous. He has the worst win % of any Chelsea manager. It’s one thing going 2 wins in 15 with these Everton players, it’s another doing it with that Chelsea squad.

‘Dyche wasn’t at that level with us in his bad run’ 2 wins in 15 is 2 wins in 15 whichever way you look at it. Could easily say Dyche has us moving forward whilst De Zerbi has taken a far better squad backwards.

Ultimately though you say that stretch of results under Dyche was unacceptable yet are happy to have two managers who have presided over the same results with better teams.
Talking too much sense my friend. The Dyche haters dont care, its not worth trying to convince them. De Zerbi and Potter.....I reckon both would have had an excellent chance of relegating us by now and blaming everyone else. Instead a mirracle is performed and we are safe with 3 games to go after having 8 points removed and folks are focusing on a winless run. Jeez.

Talking too much sense my friend. The Dyche haters dont care, its not worth trying to convince them. De Zerbi and Potter.....I reckon both would have had an excellent chance of relegating us by now and blaming everyone else. Instead a mirracle is performed and we are safe with 3 games to go after having 8 points removed and folks are focusing on a winless run. Jeez.
The last thing we need is a foreigner that doesnt understand the club, coming in seeing the shi show and checking mentally first and physically as soon as they can.
Everton in the current state needs Dyche… Dyche, who is doing reputation no harm, needs Everton

I’ve been in here slating him but whatever way you look at it the guy has done a fantastic job in the last 3 games. Keep confidence and momentum up, try and get some pace into the team in the summer and keep Gueye and Branthwaite, we should be fine next season.

And regarding your last bit, potter like I said took over a Chris houghton Brighton playing terrible football and had finished 17th
Sean took over a side in 19th with 15 points after 21 games. Above 20th only on goal difference and being smacked around by our relegation rivals every week.
Both are much better managers than dyche and play much better football
Better football maybe, but I reckon none of them would ever finish 7th with Burnley. That alone is an insane achievement, to say nothing of what he's accomplished here. I get its hard for a lot of you to see the club where it is today because it won a lot when you were kids. But the reality is the reality. Dyche has a far better CV than Graham Potter and is level on points with De Zerbi this season. Personal preference is personal preference but much better? Do me a favour.

I done a poll to see where we all stand on this

Flagging this again, as I'd like to get as many votes in as possible. Altho I've no idea what good numbers on a poll normally look like

Does anyone actually think these players are capable of playing the kind of football you want them to? Keep in mind, earlier in the season when we played a bit more expansively we got torn to shreds on the counter. There were a lot of games we probably should have won given the quality of chances we created, and didn't because players were missing chances. Now we're playing smarter, grinding out wins, famous wins too, and now the outcry is... play better football?

It's not as simple as just 'playing better football' either, and it's not like managers who play better football don't magically avoid winless runs. Graham Potter at Brighton famously chastised the fans for booing the team after a 13 game winless run. I don't know, maybe it gives them more credit in the bank for most of you if we're stringing loads of passes together, I personally like more direct, fast football but that's just personal preference. I think assuming that if we played more open we'd be doing better this season is a bit naive. I think this squad would crumble trying to play that. It's a mish-mash of about six different managers ideas of football, all cobbled together, injury prone, and on silly wages. We won't see 08 Barcelona anytime soon from this lot.

Dyche isn't perfect, the winless run was terrible, and gave me a lot of pause towards some of his stubbornness. The football isn't the most pleasing on the eye, I think some in the meda have described it as 'agricultural' although 'rubbish' might be a better word. Then again, who really cares what kind of football we play if we're winning? Our best season in ages, with Carlo Ancelotti, we played a style that could hardly be described as good football by anyone watching, but thanks to the quality of players we had, we were able to find new ways to unlock defenses and have those moments of magic. We've gone from James Rodriguez to Jack Harrison. And despite that, we could potentially end the season only nine points away from the Everton team that was 2nd for large chunks of the season. For me, given all that has transpired, that is an achievement. Keep in mind, no team with a points deduction has ever stayed up, and we have the second largest ever. He deserves next season at the very least, and I expect a lot of you will be changing your tune come December.

I'll try to log on more I guess to avoid people crying about 'hiding in a bunker' before then ;)
I seen an XG table that had us in 10th and I’ve seen another had us in 12th, so it’s not far off, it’s not like we’ve battered teams in half our games this season.

Are you now classing the Liverpool win as a FAMOUS WIN??? We’re not a league 2 side that’s just knocked them out the fa cup, bet Bill is gutted he didn’t use that one along side his we’ve had good times shout, that’s what im talking about some Evertonians, their ambition is on the floor

Sean took over a side in 19th with 15 points after 21 games. Above 20th only on goal difference and being smacked around by our relegation rivals every week.

Better football maybe, but I reckon none of them would ever finish 7th with Burnley. That alone is an insane achievement, to say nothing of what he's accomplished here. I get its hard for a lot of you to see the club where it is today because it won a lot when you were kids. But the reality is the reality. Dyche has a far better CV than Graham Potter and is level on points with De Zerbi this season. Personal preference is personal preference but much better? Do me a favour.
You just believe in your own head wjat you want. So what happened after he got Burnley 7th ?? They fell
Like a stone and got relegated a few years later. Proving that season was a fluke

And If dyche is so much better than potter and De zerbi why wasn’t he head hunted at Burnley, even when he got them 7 the top clubs weren’t interested. And then he was sacked and sat on his hands for 12momths
While potter went to Chelsea and de zerbi will go on to much bigger clubs than Brighton and Burnley.

No club with ambition will go near a dyche,
Because of the dog and duck style of football, Everton wouldn’t have gone near him if we were just a decently run football club

It all comes down to a our new owners, should we get one, and their short term ambitions. If the ambition is to spend as little as possible in the summer and try to stay in the premier league next season, with the intention of going into the new stadium as a top flight club, then Dyche is as good as anyone. If, however, they intend to start building from day one, I really don't think Dyche is the man for that job.

I seen an XG table that had us in 10th and I’ve seen another had us in 12th, so it’s not far off, it’s not like we’ve battered teams in half our games this season.

Are you now classing the Liverpool win as a FAMOUS WIN??? We’re not a league 2 side that’s just knocked them out the fa cup, bet Bill is gutted he didn’t use that one along side his we’ve had good times shout, that’s what im talking about some Evertonians, their ambition is on the floor
I think no one should deny we have not been very clinical this year. There are like 10 ways of calculating.

Some have us on 55, with 37 from open play and 18 on set pieces.

An official one that is used in Spain, also to scout players (I have access to Eibar ones).

Shows us on 30 from open play, and 17 in set pieces. I think it's pretty accurate, because 55 goals seems too much for me. We are 11th in total btw.

On the other hand we are on 50.3 for x against. 10 set piece, 40 open play. Makes it 5th.

Are you now classing the Liverpool win as a FAMOUS WIN???
Ruined their title ambitions? First home win in 14 years? Sounds pretty famous to me.
You just believe in your own head wjat you want. So what happened after he got Burnley 7th ?? They fell
What happened after Graham Potter left Brighton? They finished higher without him. And he got sacked miserably at this next job after spending a fortune. See you can do this for a lot of managers. Just remove all context and they all look pretty bad.
And If dyche is so much better than potter and De zerbi why wasn’t he head hunted at Burnley, even when he got them 7 the top clubs weren’t interested
He doesn't play football in a style a lot of top clubs fancy themselves to play. It still works for other clubs who achieve success. It's all personal preference.
While potter went to Chelsea
He failed miserably there. So maybe his 'style of play' wasn't all that.
We’re not a league 2 side that’s just knocked them out the fa cup, bet Bill is gutted he didn’t use that one along side his we’ve had good times shout, that’s what im talking about some Evertonians, their ambition is on the floor
We're not a league 2 side, you're right. Why should our ambition be high after this season? Do you really understand where the club are? We have to borrow money just to pay staff. To say we are in big trouble would be an understatement. We are hardly in a position to sack managers who take us to safety with relative ease after two points deductions because we 'don't like the style.' Graham Potter also had long winless runs when he was at Brighton. He's still a top coach, who I have no doubt based on how you're talking about Dyche, would be one who you'd call to get sacked.