2024/25 Sean Dyche

Moshiri started the rot when he kept employing people who didn't have a clue what they were doing.

The squad martinez left us with was a very decent squad
Agreed, and Roberto had coached all cohesion and spirit out of that squad. It was far from unfixable, but i think Roberto did lasting damage.
Not defending Dyche here, just saying why some my still resent Martinez.

Edit: I worded the post you quoted badly, Roberto didnt start it on his own. He was helped heaps by Moshiri and Bill - who was responsible for not sacking him before doing damage with his broken football philosophy

It’s not so much can these players pass a ball 5-10 yards and move up the pitch, they are international footballers. The main problem I see every week is our players don’t move and make easy passing angles, when it’s a night game they get marked out the game by there own shadows. A good coach can drill that into them.

Big disagree on this one. Think I said this in another thread we’ve got maybe three players who can actually strike a ball. To inject any kind of pace into an attack or cause a dangerous situation.

N’Diaye can probably be added in there but we’re bottom of the barrel for ball players, we’re pretty low down for athletes. I’d say the only way we get out of this is pretty much how we played last season. Pragmatic, front foot percentage football.

Not saying any of us like watching it, but we simply haven’t got the players to hold the ball, we haven’t got the athletes to play on the counter and I wouldn’t trust our shape in any kind of transition if the game is stretched.

What we saw for a good chunk of yesterday is pretty much our perfect blueprint for this squad/the first 20 mins against Brighton. Using the other teams strength against them, effectively only playing any football in their half.

I wouldn’t trust Gueye, Mykolenko, Coleman, Harrison, Mcneil with any kind of passing game. Let alone Keane or any of the other bench players.

We got results last season by playing in high intensity bursts, mixing up our press and being well drilled. I don’t think this squad has much more in them than that in all honesty.

Yeah in general I'm more in the "give them time" camp, we can't keep changing managers, etc.

But bloody hell 18 months of Dyche's buzzwords and middle management speak would be enough for most people, I wouldn't blame the players if they are starting to switch off.

My question would be whether, after 18 months, there is anything new that the players can really learn from Dyche and his two mates? Or do they need new voices and fresh ideas.
Fresh voices and new ideas, 100%.

I feel for the lads just come in, they look like they have what Everton was known for, Dyche will ruin them.

Big disagree on this one. Think I said this in another thread we’ve got maybe three players who can actually strike a ball. To inject any kind of pace into an attack or cause a dangerous situation.

N’Diaye can probably be added in there but we’re bottom of the barrel for ball players, we’re pretty low down for athletes. I’d say the only way we get out of this is pretty much how we played last season. Pragmatic, front foot percentage football.

Not saying any of us like watching it, but we simply haven’t got the players to hold the ball, we haven’t got the athletes to play on the counter and I wouldn’t trust our shape in any kind of transition if the game is stretched.

What we saw for a good chunk of yesterday is pretty much our perfect blueprint for this squad/the first 20 mins against Brighton. Using the other teams strength against them, effectively only playing any football in their half.

I wouldn’t trust Gueye, Mykolenko, Coleman, Harrison, Mcneil with any kind of passing game. Let alone Keane or any of the other bench players.

We got results last season by playing in high intensity bursts, mixing up our press and being well drilled. I don’t think this squad has much more in them than that in all honesty.
What do you mean strike a ball?. I’m talking about professional footballers, passing a football 5-10 yards along the floor, it’s something I see lower league teams do regularly. Movement is king. Man City, they have the best ball players in Europe, wouldn’t mean nothing if the players stand still, they have 2-3 options to pass to due to movement. I’m not asking to play like city or top ball playing teams. But do I think these players with proper training and drills can play like Brighton did under potter, yeah I do. If you disagree that’s fine.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back