Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2024/25 Sean Dyche

He was appointed as Everton Manager with the club on 15 points from 21 games with a desperate remit to keep Everton up, and no resources to make that happen.

Dyche achieved it. Can you remember how dire Everton were? No shape, no backbone, no fight. He’s then built on that and - without points deduction - got Everton comfortably mid table in his next season.

This is now his third season and again despite having to sell players and the backdrop of a chaotic listless club trying to be sold he at least has an Everton with the basics that has a more than fighting chance of going into a new ground avoiding a commercial and existential crisis of being relegated before that.

Should Everton kick on from that then he will deserve a lot of credit for a long time. It’s likely he’s not gonna be expansive enough nor favoured by new owners so in essence he’s the hard nosed pragmatist Everton needed before they transition into something else. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a line drawn at the end of season and his contract and new owners go for their vision in a different man, and that’s fine.

Just would be nice to get through the season without the self assured idealists and super bloos launching a destabilising coup against Dyche every time they don’t get their good feel three points on the weekend, and all because they would rather be proven right than Everton win. The MAGA of Evertonians that need punting back into the long grass so the sound and reasonable can prevail.

I agree that we have a better squad then the teams coming up most seasons, but Im not sure anyone else has a better squad.

This season Leicester have a decent squad to work with too though

Southampton and Ipswich are weaker, but do you think many other teams have worse squads? Compatible maybe but not worse

Clearly weaker: Ipswich, Southampton

Slight worse: Wolves, Brentford, Leicester

Same level: Bmouth, Forest, Everton, Palace

Slightly better: Fulham

I think that's my bottom half ranking.

And I do agree, that Leicester side that got relegated with Maddison, Barnes, Tielemans was probably the best team to get relegated in the last few years and should have achieved mid-table.

Had by far the best team in the championship with some internationals that started in knockout- European rounds. Surely a competitive squad for the league to stay up.

Think we are all aware of his style / limitations by now - the fixation on PL experience, preference to avoid substitutiions, fitness over technique, control over flair etc.

The same choices seem to result in sides capable of staying the PL.

Would you trust him with a bit more money to try and get us further though ?

This pre-season / start has made me a doubter.

All our points have come with doucoure in the middle, while he is frustrating and not an obvious technician, he value should be obvious to those without agendas

For me, now it's pretty weird. I thought he had a better game than Gueye yesterday.

As well as I think Keane was better than Tarkowsi indiviudally this season. Defensively both had their mistakes.

I reckon Branthwaite will be fit for next week, who gets dropped??? Not an easy decision now. Surely he's our No 1 CB.

Clearly weaker: Ipswich, Southampton

Slight worse: Wolves, Brentford, Leicester

Same level: Bmouth, Forest, Everton, Palace

Slightly better: Fulham

I think that's my bottom half ranking.

And I do agree, that Leicester side that got relegated with Maddison, Barnes, Tielemans was probably the best team to get relegated in the last few years and should have achieved mid-table.

Had by far the best team in the championship with some internationals that started in knockout- European rounds. Surely a competitive squad for the league to stay up.

My take as well, which puts us at best about 11th best squad (although I have Palace slightly better so rank us 12th best squad)

Lopetegui is making more of a mess with far better players at West Ham so far.

My take as well, which puts us at best about 11th best squad (although I have Palace slightly better so rank us 12th best squad)

Lopetegui is making more of a mess with far better players at West Ham so far.

West Ham really look dreadful atm. But they decided to appoint a manager that plays 180 degree turn of football over Moyes.

It will take time, could fail completely or also be like Bournemouth last season, where they now get rewarded for giving Andoni time.

Remember their 3:0 at Goodison, they looked like a relegation team back then?

He was appointed as Everton Manager with the club on 15 points from 21 games with a desperate remit to keep Everton up, and no resources to make that happen.

Dyche achieved it. Can you remember how dire Everton were? No shape, no backbone, no fight. He’s then built on that and - without points deduction - got Everton comfortably mid table in his next season.

This is now his third season and again despite having to sell players and the backdrop of a chaotic listless club trying to be sold he at least has an Everton with the basics that has a more than fighting chance of going into a new ground avoiding a commercial and existential crisis of being relegated before that.

Should Everton kick on from that then he will deserve a lot of credit for a long time. It’s likely he’s not gonna be expansive enough nor favoured by new owners so in essence he’s the hard nosed pragmatist Everton needed before they transition into something else. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a line drawn at the end of season and his contract and new owners go for their vision in a different man, and that’s fine.

Just would be nice to get through the season without the self assured idealists and super bloos launching a destabilising coup against Dyche every time they don’t get their good feel three points on the weekend, and all because they would rather be proven right than Everton win. The MAGA of Evertonians that need punting back into the long grass so the sound and reasonable can prevail.
dyche-sean-dyche.gif

West Ham really look dreadful atm. But they decided to appoint a manager that plays 180 degree turn of football over Moyes.

It will take time, could fail completely or also be like Bournemouth last season, where they now get rewarded for giving Andoni time.

Remember their 3:0 at Goodison, they looked like a relegation team back then?
Good point re West Ham. I’m off to KUMB to cheer myself up

TBF, when he came we had no money and were in the s**t. He kept us up and has made us into a competitive side despite still having no money. Who knows what style of footy he would play if he had the resources/players - we all think we do (including me) - but we don't know, he's never had that luxury. If it continues this way to the end of the season, i think he's earned his chance at the new stadium/with the new owners.

Good point re West Ham. I’m off to KUMB to cheer myself up
Happy to report back that despite having a new manager, a number of new recruits, and having played quite a few of the top teams, after eight games a sizeable portion of the forum posters on KUMB want Lopetegui sacked. Some even expressing a desire to get Moyes back for a third time 😂

Taken from a few tweets by x.com/greenallefc/ :

16 games away from home against bottom half sides under Dyche now, still only two defeats. It was 9 defeats in the 13 before Dyche arrived.

Against top half sides: P32 W7 D11 L14. 12 of those 14 defeats have been vs the traditional top 6 or Villa.

Not really. We forget we spent a lot of money prior to the more recent years of austerity so there would have been a baseline market value of player in our squad (not what we bought them for which was well over market value).

This squad season to season should have at least been stronger than the newly promoted teams over those years and more recently. So yes we’ve not spent anything, but our foundations in terms of squad player should have at least been more favourably comparable to the the number of newer clubs promoted season after season. Over those years we still probably have four or five clubs who come from a lower squad standing.
Yes that’s a point many, seem to
Forget. Our back 5 v Brighton cost 67mil, Brightons cost less than 10mil

All these ‘as a bare minimum’ posts are amusing

My own target for this season is for improvement on last season but you say it like it’s the easiest thing in the world.

Last Everton manager to do two consecutive seasons of improvement? David Moyes who did three in 2010/11, 2011/12, 2012/13, and even that was on the back of dropping 7 points in 2011 from where we had been.

So your minimum expectation is something that hasn’t occurred for ten years at Everton. Indeed getting over 49 points has only happened 4 seasons out the post Moyes years (2 of these with Lukaku and Koeman’s spending, one with Silva’s spending, one with Ancelotti’s spending). Now Dyche has to get it as a minimum despite turning a transfer profit every season he’s here and starting from a much lower base than any of those other managers did.

I don’t think he’s here beyond this season, nor do I particularly want him to be, but some of this ‘as a minimum’ posturing is just not based in historical fact or context. Same with all the ‘we should be beating Ipswich no excuses’ posts, anyone looked at the recent Everton record v promoted teams away? These were better Everton teams too.

The bar just keeps being moved higher and higher for Dyche ‘he should have this team top ten’ yet simultaneously he gets slammed for not moving the team on, building no foundations and lowering expectations. They don’t seem to be lowered to me.

If he does better 48 points this season then leave, can anyone really argue with a record of positive points performances in two seasons whilst making transfer profits?
Good points, but a manger who’s here for 3/4/5yrs has to keep improving the team and play imo, irrelevant of money,
Unless we sold our best player every summer and replaced them with an under 23 player. We’ve lost only Onana from
Last season starting 11 and dyche wasn’t even plying him the last few months, Witt ndiaye, lindstrom, O’Brien, mangala we arguably have a better squad than last season.

if dyche gets 43 point’s this season and stays beyond this season, then gets 45, then gets 41, we basically just turn into Burnley

What did everyone think about Kieran McKenna yesterday?

Had a lot of backing on here in the summer and prior to replace Dyche?
Hard say is a team that does not have prem experience, not going to say i am a big dyche fan. But has untill the end of the season to get a new deal or not with maybe some players added in jan. just want to see abit more better football played by the team.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back