Sell to Improve??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verbal Kint

Player Valuation: £35m
As the silly summer transfer season approaches and every Everton player with half a pulse is linked to the sky 4 clubs, every Evertonian dreads this part of the season, we hope that Barkley sign's a new contract, we hope John Stones doesn't attract a serious monster bid that Bill and the board find impossible to turn down. It has got me thinking just what stars we could afford to lose and would it actually make sense in the long term if we raised enough to fund a few cheaper replacements and put the rest towards a new stadium. The three players i have earmarked are Seamus Coleman, Phil Jagielka and Leighton Baines.

Seamus Coleman: 60k is what we paid for him, probably less than what Yaya Toure expects his birthday cake to cost, his form has been amazing, i didn't even dream he would be this good, if truth be told Seamus probably didn't expect it 7/8 years ago either, he was struggling to get a game for his junior side in Donegal at the time, he moved to senior team Sligo Rovers after this and was almost released there, he was regarded as 3rd choice right back, if anybody said he would be the best right back in the premier league after his horror show at the Stadium of Light against Benfica in the Europa league i would have called for the men in the white coats. We could expect to fetch £22m for him after the season he currently had, will he be worth this in 2 years? No i would imagine would be the answer to this, he will be 28 by then. As much as we would hate to see him leave an argument can be made that an offer in that range would be madness to turn down.

Cheaper options.
Sam Bryum Leeds £4m
Lee Trippier £???
Jonjoe Kenny Free
Ty Browning Free

Phil Jagielka Skipper and has been a fantastic signing by Everton, in his 30'snow but still an outstanding premier league defender, Still think we can fetch around 8-10m for him in today's market. Would be a big loss giving his leadership and great defensive capabilities but is he what Martinez wants, a ball playing centre half in the John Stones mold.

Cheaper options
John Stones Free Will Jags even keep Stones out of the first team next season
Ty Browning Free Martinez and Stubbs rave about this lad, is his time now.
Bruno Martins Indi Will probably cost the same but is younger and could be a long term partner for Stones

Leighton Baines Without question the best left back in the Premier league, but was he as effective last year? age is also a factor here 29 now and we also are blessed to have Bryan Oviedo and a promising young left back in Luke Garbutt coming up. His set piece delivery is second to none as are his penalty kicks whenever we actually get one. Will he be able to maintain his high level or should we cash in now, City have been rumoured to be interested.

Now i would be delighted if all 3 stayed for next year, so don't all shout me down here. But if offered £50m for all three would you take it??

I would sooner lose these 3 than Stones, Barkley and McCarthy. Or should we keep all 3 and hope that we qualify for the Champions league next season.

Why bother buying players for cheap who we think will be really good if we're just going to sell them once they're actually good. It's a never ending cycle of pointlessness. May as well shut the club down.

Don't most clubs outside the elite ones do that

Why bother buying players for cheap who we think will be really good if we're just going to sell them once they're actually good. It's a never ending cycle of pointlessness. May as well shut the club down.

Is that not what we have been doing for the last 15 years, Atletico Madrid have proved it can be done, i agree it's not sustainable in the long term as the likes of City and Chelsea keep pumping more and more money into it but to attract new owners or investors i think the Stadium issue needs to be addressed.

I can understand what the OP is saying. It is a sellers market out there! I would like to keep all of them but id probably say if someone came in with a 25mil bid for baines id take it!!!!!! Or would I? Jesus i keep changing my mind!

Coleman would be worth more than £20 million to us if he stays for another 5 years, which he's more than capable of. Jags, while in his 30's is still younger than Distin and Alcaraz, plus he's also our captain. I see him and Stones as the central defence for next season and beyond. The chance to sell Baines probably came and went last season, and I wouldn't be surprised if Martinez changed his game a little to accommodate Oviedo. So it's a no from me, although I can see where the op is coming from in raising revenue. Being an Evertonian is, and always has been a frustrating experience.

As i said im for keeping all 3, but we obviously need dough because Bill doesn't have any. New stadium to fund, would you be happier if Barkley left?

If we had a loaded owner then this wouldn't even be up for discussion

Yes but you've made this thread for no reason. We haven't received bids, this is a hypothetical, and it seems pointless to me.

I'd rather not sell our own players of our own will. I'd rather keep them.

If someone comes in and offers £30m for Coleman then we have a decision to make, but until then I'd rather not go out of my way to sell him. He is the best RB in the league and has years ahead of him. As for Jags/Baines, no offer would match their worth to us.

Yes but you've made this thread for no reason. We haven't received bids, this is a hypothetical, and it seems pointless to me.

I'd rather not sell our own players of our own will. I'd rather keep them.

If someone comes in and offers £30m for Coleman then we have a decision to make, but until then I'd rather not go out of my way to sell him. He is the best RB in the league and has years ahead of him. As for Jags/Baines, no offer would match their worth to us.

In fairness nearly every thread on here is hyothetical, have we bid for Bony, Batsuhyai, Lukaku.... As i said it's silly season, and i was just posing a scenario. Don't hate me:p

Status
Not open for further replies.