Sell to Improve??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely nailed it there.

To be honest, we could close the thread at this point because you the OP won't get a better answer. The time to sell your top players is when they're just past their peak but it's not obvious that they are and you have a younger, keener replacement in the squad already.

Oh Christ, I've just agreed with Zatara. My credibility is now at an all time low.

In general, spot on. But Garbutt isn't ready to be first choice left back yet. Chances are he won't be for a couple of seasons yet ( if at all ).

Doesnt work like that when GOT is recruiting new mods, does it?lol

We should only be selling players if :-

• They're not good enough
  • They're good, but don't fit into our system
  • They're good, fit into our system, but we have a ready made replacement
  • We get a silly offer for them
On those criteria, the only one of Baines, Coleman and Jagielka you could possibly countenance selling is Baines, because Oveido looks good enough to replace him. But Baines has just signed a new contract and Oveido might not come back as good after his broken leg. so it's a no from me.

We wouldn't get massive money for Jags and he certainly doesn't want to leave so that's just not going to happen. We have no-one approaching Coleman's talent at right-back so unless a silly offer comes in then he's going nowhere.

Also I think Baines means more to the club than just his on field ability (which isn't too shabby anyway), he seems to be very much at the heart of the team sprit/attitude, he is also a world class player who is choosing stay at Everton whjch is I think the way we want to represent ourselves.

Doesnt work like that when GOT is recruiting new mods, does it?lol

We're like referees mate. Not good enough to post at the highest level, past our prime, hated by everyone but thick skinned and power mad.

Anyway, keep it on-topic please :oops:

We're in a new era now with the mega bucks tv money. Smart clubs that don't waste it don't need to sell.
Smart clubs still sell their merchandise, because the new TV money will soon be arbitraged into agent fees, wages, and all sort of money. There is also the urge to keep within FFP.

I guess I should always repeat this: the most economical place in the Prem outside the top 4 is at #17. This year actually shows that most clubs below so'ton are structuring their team to not get relegated rather than to challenge for anything.

I will sell Baines at 25M, Jags at 10M, Coleman at 30M without any kind of reservation. Barkley must go if we receive any decent offer at around 20M.

Smart clubs still sell their merchandise, because the new TV money will soon be arbitraged into agent fees, wages, and all sort of money. There is also the urge to keep within FFP.

I guess I should always repeat this: the most economical place in the Prem outside the top 4 is at #17. This year actually shows that most clubs below so'ton are structuring their team to not get relegated rather than to challenge for anything.

I will sell Baines at 25M, Jags at 10M, Coleman at 30M without any kind of reservation. Barkley must go if we receive any decent offer at around 20M.

20M for Barkley? That's just silly talk.

Barkley at 20 million ?
Please tell me that's a typo.

It's all fine and dandy selling players, but you have to replace them.

Success breeds success. The better the team, the more attractive we are to watch. That means we're likely to appear in more televised games, which gives us more income. Keep on with that cycle and we're likely to be looking at more revenue from European footie too. If we can hold that cycle consistently for three or four seasons then who knows where we'll end up ? Some sales are healthy to keep things fresh but, in general we need to hold onto our best players. Anything else is madness.

Well I would rather we were structured to challenge for something, not to avoid relegation. Maybe I am old fashioned.

Am I naive to think that in a few years we could be looking at 50mill+ for Barkley? FFS Luiz, a 27 year old CB, just went for 50 mill. Imagine what a 23-year-old world-beating English midfielder could go for at 23 or 24.

We won't sell our best players, but it's hard also to keep them - let's be honest when Barkleys worth wages of 120k+ wages and we can't afford it - he's not going to stay is he!

So I understand where the OP is coming from, though I think it's players profiles out growing the clubs financial ability, rather then a need to sell them to fund stadiums etc!

It is always better to sell before you have to and I understand this argument, plus the fact that we would be keeping the squad young and enthusiastic. It isn't a question of 'cashing in' just keeping progressing.

Most that is just silly talk, particularly flogging our best players and anyway, the club is smartly run. The figures released at the AGM simply don't lie. The debt has been greatly reduced. The wages to turnover ratio is well down, far lower than other clubs.

Everton's finances are the best they've been at the club for about 20 years. And that's with no internal investment at all.

Most that is just silly talk, particularly flogging our best players and anyway, the club is smartly run. The figures released at the AGM simply don't lie. The debt has been greatly reduced. The wages to turnover ratio is well down, far lower than other clubs.

Everton's finances are the best they've been at the club for about 20 years. And that's with no internal investment at all.
Why not sell? do Jagielka guarantees us 2 places better per year, Coleman 6, or Baines 5?

From a financial perspective, these are good numbers to sell at. For those who are interested, I value each place at 1 million (in TV fees), and spread it over 5 years. That means if a player is judged to be capable of improving us for 2 places a year, he's worth 10 million.

And sadly, Barkley is not the kind of player to improve us by 4 places. Honestly, I will stick with Naismith in his place.

Status
Not open for further replies.