Set pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjoeefc

Player Valuation: £20m
Just wanted to say, how boss have we been at set pieces this season. Particularly defending them, I dont think I've ever felt so confident when defending corners or attacking free kicks that we wont concede.

In previous seasons it's been a massive problem and we would be dominating games and then concede a silly goal from a corner. It would have many questioning the zonal marking but now in hindsight zonal marking if applied correctly is surely the way. With the height of Keane, mina, doucoure, dcl and currently the two full backs in there as well it really has been an area we have excelled at.

I would be interested to know how many goals we have actually conceded from corners and attacking free kicks (with the exception of direct free kicks) this season if anyone knows?

I've just been through all the games and it was only the goal against Palace from Kouyate from a corner. That's the only set piece goal conceded all season with the exception of direct free kicks.

We’ve historically had the shortest defence in the PL, (Coleman, Baines, Jags), but it’s now been addressed and the difference is obvious.

Leicester didn't have one shot on target for the whole of the second half last night.
Yeah our shape and discipline was superb! They had loads of the ball but couldn’t break us down, which is incredible given Allan and Digne are two of our best players and Coleman is normally vital to any big defensive performance over the years too with his recovery pace.

Commentators have noted we sit in two very deep banks to defend long range FKs, rather than a high up wall

Prehaps this gives the players more time to react to the kick

Commentators have noted we sit in two very deep banks to defend long range FKs, rather than a high up wall

Prehaps this gives the players more time to react to the kick
Yeah one of them seemed baffled why we were defending a free kick so deep yesterday (Morrison I think).

It was obvious Leicester are a pacy team, whereas we had the height advantage. If we set up on the edge of the 18 yard box it was obvious vardy or one of their wingers would be favourites for getting on the end of it.

Im glad we seem to be finding ways to play to our players strengths for once, rather than keep trying to implement a failing system and expecting results to change.

Yeah one of them seemed baffled why we were defending a free kick so deep yesterday (Morrison I think).

It was obvious Leicester are a pacy team, whereas we had the height advantage. If we set up on the edge of the 18 yard box it was obvious vardy or one of their wingers would be favourites for getting on the end of it.

Im glad we seem to be finding ways to play to our players strengths for once, rather than keep trying to implement a failing system and expecting results to change.
Yeah that was a nice, simple answer by Carlo that pretty much nullified Leicester's threat.

The manager is not only applying logical, effective tactics; he's also keeping it simple and seemingly not bombarding them with instructions. They know their job and look comfortable for the most part.

Probably exactly why players love to play for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.