Stadium Thread - ALL Kirkby/Stadium Discussion Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm obviously too far away to contribute to the debate in a meaningful way, but I still can't understand how a shared stadium won't work. I can pretty much imagine that the fundamental cultural differences between the clubs, and more importantly the fans, but this is where the LCC should take some ownership & display leadership.... (ok, when you've stopped laughing...I know...) :(

I'm reading this & sitting in Melbourne where 9 AFL teams play in 2 grounds every weekend. No riot Police, no division between the fans, everyone mingles in & out of the ground....

Perhaps it's a Football (soccer) thing?

Im just going to pop in here from time to time and say random stuff like...

"If this thread was a movie, Charlton Heston would be the star."

because I really dont care WHERE WE PLAY!! Its all internet to me.

BBC NEWS | Business | Tesco 'well-placed for recovery'

Leahy interview.

About 1:20 into that he refers to Kirkby and how some faceless Whitehall individual shouldn't have the power to determine whether it and other Tesco projects should go ahead.

Read into that what you want.

I saw that this morning & hoped that it means Tesco are already preparing their appeal for the retail part of the scheme, somewhat re-hashed of course, & that the further delay involved means the Stadium is finally accepted as no longer being viable. However, that could be wishful thinking on my part - but it does seem odd to mention Kirkby in that way if he believes it's all going to be approved.

I saw that this morning & hoped that it means Tesco are already preparing their appeal for the retail part of the scheme, somewhat re-hashed of course, & that the further delay involved means the Stadium is finally accepted as no longer being viable. However, that could be wishful thinking on my part - but it does seem odd to mention Kirkby in that way if he believes it's all going to be approved.

DENNIS, if you were Leahy waiting on a decision to the Destination Kirkby project would you jump in with both feet and slam people making such decisions 'faceless individuals'? I know I wouldn't want to upset the apple cart if I was him. IMO, something has gone wrong there and the scheme will be - or more likely has been - rejected. Just my opinion, of course.

DENNIS, if you were Leahy waiting on a decision to the Destination Kirkby project would you jump in with both feet and slam people making such decisions 'faceless individuals'? I know I wouldn't want to upset the apple cart if I was him. IMO, something has gone wrong there and the scheme will be - or more likely has been - rejected. Just my opinion, of course.
Indeed, a curious comment if they don't yet know the decision & remain hopeful, but understandable if he's already thinking ahead to the next stage in the process - as there will be, regardless of whether the stadium is still part of the proposal.

for those people who seem to revel in any death knell to this project, id like to know what the alternatives are? Although Goodison is our spiritual home, the fact is its outdated and we need to move on to a more modern complex with greater capacity. It seems to me (and feel free to point out if im wrong here) that if Kirkby gets knocked back, we are back to square one. The club maintains that the scope for a redeveloped Goodison is not feasible, so where a new stadium will come from looks a mystery.

for those people who seem to revel in any death knell to this project, id like to know what the alternatives are? Although Goodison is our spiritual home, the fact is its outdated and we need to move on to a more modern complex with greater capacity. It seems to me (and feel free to point out if im wrong here) that if Kirkby gets knocked back, we are back to square one. The club maintains that the scope for a redeveloped Goodison is not feasible, so where a new stadium will come from looks a mystery.

If Kirkby gets knocked back "the club" (as in the current owners) wont be there for much longer. Other options could then come into play.

If Kirkby gets knocked back "the club" (as in the current owners) wont be there for much longer. Other options could then come into play.

Agreed....The current board and the people behind the scenes aka Phil Green will fade away....Bill will still remain for the foreseeable future, but it could prove the catalyst for the club to be sold rather than being available for investment with the current team remaining at the helm.

This.

I can't say I agree with a lot of what you say Davek, but your stance on Kirkby is spot on.

If DK is knocked back, then we can't just sit at Goodison and do nothing. Other alternatives will come into play, as i'm sure will these mysterious investors.

That Terry Leahy quote is promising, he's either frustrated about it taking so long, or something's not right (from his perspective).(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back