Votes: 52 6.0%
  • OUT

Votes: 727 84.4%
  • Shake it all about

Votes: 82 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Steve Walsh has become a regular presence at u-23s games and will debrief Koeman"
Good to see Walsh is assessing the youngsters as RK doesn't do that.
He took some flak after the transfer window but the form of Gana so far is suggesting he may have found the bargain of the summer.
Can see it now

International striker scoring for fun in the reserves Mr Koeman, worth a shot in the team, Oumar i think his name is.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/evertons-youth-scouting-set-up-11954225

Why Everton's youth scouting set-up is 'biggest' in the country
Everton's Head of Academy Recruitment Martin Waldron reveals extent of club's network
PM382944.jpg

Everton Scouts at a game
Everton believe they have one of the most extensive youth scouting networks in the country.

The Blues Academy have over 300 talent spotters on their books looking for the next big thing.

Everton’s Head of Academy recruitment Martin Waldron has seen the club’s network grow significantly since he joined the Blues in a full-time role in 1998.

“It’s a huge operation now and, in terms of scouts, we’re probably the biggest in the country,” Waldron said.

“Locally, we have around 235 scouts who cover the North West within an hour’s radius of here.

JS97952617.jpg

Waldron used to manager Leighton Baines' old youth side

“Nationally, we’ve got 90 professional scouts who go around all of the professional clubs around the country and report back to us.”

Waldron, who used to manage Leighton Baines when he was at youth side Key Ways Football Club in Kirkby, added: “I joined part-time 22 years ago now and the time has flown.

“There were around 12 scouts when I first came in and I’ve managed to changed it over time.

“I quickly got a foothold in what I was doing and they let me run with it.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/evertons-youth-scouting-set-up-11954225

Why Everton's youth scouting set-up is 'biggest' in the country
Everton's Head of Academy Recruitment Martin Waldron reveals extent of club's network
PM382944.jpg

Everton Scouts at a game
Everton believe they have one of the most extensive youth scouting networks in the country.

The Blues Academy have over 300 talent spotters on their books looking for the next big thing.

Everton’s Head of Academy recruitment Martin Waldron has seen the club’s network grow significantly since he joined the Blues in a full-time role in 1998.

“It’s a huge operation now and, in terms of scouts, we’re probably the biggest in the country,” Waldron said.

“Locally, we have around 235 scouts who cover the North West within an hour’s radius of here.

JS97952617.jpg

Waldron used to manager Leighton Baines' old youth side

“Nationally, we’ve got 90 professional scouts who go around all of the professional clubs around the country and report back to us.”

Waldron, who used to manage Leighton Baines when he was at youth side Key Ways Football Club in Kirkby, added: “I joined part-time 22 years ago now and the time has flown.

“There were around 12 scouts when I first came in and I’ve managed to changed it over time.

“I quickly got a foothold in what I was doing and they let me run with it.”
Martin waldron was a naughty boy when he was younger, crackin lad but liked a scuffle

I don't think we can really evaluate Walsh's contribution until he has been in post for 3 transfer windows, I don't know how much influence he had over the negotiations during the summer. The next window can be difficult, clubs don't want to let players go half way through the season. I could see some fairly low level transfer activity but nothing great.
Come the end of the season he will have long enough to get himself sorted and we need to see some value for money.

Time for him to earn his huge wedge

Stop it Tim you bad wet wipe.

I'm sure there will be targets scouted.

He's Director of Football and his remit isn't solely transfers. He's learning a new role and it'll take time, just like everything else.

If you watch Koeman's presser from yesterday, Koeman himself has said that the last few games have been useful for getting to know the squad and what needs changing, but that can't be done in two months.

What does Walsh actually do then if we have over to 200 other scouts? Sounds like a decent wee job he's landed.

He's not a scout!

He's the DoF. He is responsible for working alongside all departments (manager, coaches, scouting network).

He was a Head Scout at Leicester. This is as much a new role for him as it is new to our club having one.

@ToffeeTim

The presence of a director of football acts as an intermediary between the manager and the board and may relieve pressure on a manager by handling aspects away from day-to-day coaching, allowing a manager to focus on on-pitch performance. The director may also help to stabilise the club – many examples exist of director stepping in as a caretaker manager on the departure of the manager. The director – often an experienced football figure – may also positively advise a less experienced manager or the board of a less well developed club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back