• Warsaw

Votes: 63 21.5%
  • Sniderman

Votes: 59 20.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought we were OK going forward last night (and against Arsenal in the second half). Didn't create a lot of chances but moved the ball well at times, especially after Osman was introduced.

Defensively we are a disaster. We dont press, we look overrun in midfield everytime a team goes at us, we never stop a cross and we look panicky at the heart of defence. Really worrying stuff as I dont see this changing overnight.

We looked a bit more solid after Xmas, maybe since the Man City game, but we've gone to pot again.

I thought we were OK going forward last night (and against Arsenal in the second half). Didn't create a lot of chances but moved the ball well at times, especially after Osman was introduced.

Defensively we are a disaster. We dont press, we look overrun in midfield everytime a team goes at us, we never stop a cross and we look panicky at the heart of defence. Really worrying stuff as I dont see this changing overnight.

We looked a bit more solid after Xmas, maybe since the Man City game, but we've gone to pot again.
Howard in nets seems to be the link.

He'd take it too, but only with a more hands on coach under him. He has very firm ideas as to who are the players needed for what's ahead eg he wouldn't play Barkley.

Yes I agree with that. I could imagine Royle working as a senior figure to a Fergusan type figure below until the end of the season.

How many years has it been since royle managed a team? What's his role at the mo? Football moves on. Would you expect curbishley to be given a job somewhere and succeed.

Maybe it wouldn't matter only being a short term thing. His evertoness may be enough. I worry about royle tbh. Maybe with Big Dunc would be better.

Maybe someone from the outside would be better. Even Redknapp as a temp thing.

Oh I don't know....I just know roberto needs to go ASAP! This can't be allowed to carry on just because we're still in the EL.
When did Big Dunc join the coaching staff. If my memory serves me right it was about that time we became crap.

It's strange. When Joel was in goal defenders seemed less confident in his ability so helped him out, now when Howard is back it's as if they expect him to save things - which isn't happening

I don't know where you're getting that idea, I thought our defenders looked far more assured with Joel in the nets.

Best part of last night's match was Stones bringing the ball from our box to the half way like and then playing the ball into Lukaku where he was asking for it into his path to get a shot away.

That would be the bizarre decision to drop Robles after showing form that Howard is just not capable of. We haven't kept a clean sheet since he was back in the team and he kept 1 clean sheet before his injury. Absolutely disgraceful decision by Martinez.

So much is wrong in this. Just a few:
- very few are in fact wanting Moyes back. Those that do are doing so in sheer desperation
- RM wants to win every game, don't make me laugh. That's the game he talks; the game he actually plays is very different. You make it sound like we're always on the front foot, creating chance after chance, when in reality we probably have just 3 or 4 efforts on goal per match.!

Few = some........ so what I said still stands and is not wrong.
Yes we are creating fewer chances for one reason or another but he is not playing for draws he is still going out there to win even if we are not winning. So that ain't wrong either

The trouble is, it's hard to tell whether the Martinez of last season is the one to put your faith in, or was he a one season wonder. We certainly played more fluent and attacking football and if this has been a one off bad season I'd like to find out.

Good managers don't grow on trees and I think it would be risky to sack him now, on the off chance that a caretaker would turn things
around.

If we were two or three points from the drop in mid April I'd be really worried, but I think we'll be OK.

Let's judge him on what happens in the rest of the season.

When did Big Dunc join the coaching staff. If my memory serves me right it was about that time we became crap.

Fair point/question. I actually hadn't considered that. His first game on the bench was West Ham at home last season, early March.

Make no bones about it last night was awful. What worries me is the sheer inevitability of it. I knew we would lose that game and you could have predicted exactly how the game would pan out.

There is a lack of fight and desire around the players currently. Barry gets slagged off a lot by fans on here, but he is one of the few who looks like he gives a care for what’s going on. McCarthy runs through brick walls and is immune from any of the following criticisms. As I said in another thread, I’ve never seen an Everton player with such will to win which is in such sharp contrast to the players around him.

I don’t normally like singling players out but last night was a shambles. I will start with Lukaku. His pass for their second goal is appalling. It is a lack of care. It’s not a one off either, he fails to hold the ball up very well. When you are struggling as a side, you need your front man to at the very least hold the ball up when he gets good possession played into him. I can’t really knock his goal return this season. However I worry we have signed a striker who looks good in a top side that make chances for him, but in a side that is struggling is a bit of a liability.

~ Next is Kone, again just gave the ball away too often. He passed the ball away once and there was no reaction. (much like Lukaku for their second goal) no attempt to chase back. It seems like there is a casual acceptance of failure that has crept in. I miscontrol/give away a pass/miss a header/ don’t mark my man and a shrug of the shoulders comes on as if someone else can deal with the problem. Mirallas balloons a free kick high over the bar and starts having a pop at somebody else after it’s done.

Aaron Lennon doesn’t seem particularly interested whether we win or lose. Barkley has been poor. The list could go on. What worries me is that you have players like Garbutt (who again did well last night but was exposed) and are being shown up because some of the more senior pro’s are not performing as they ought to be. I do worry about the pressure being placed upon the likes of Garbutt and Stones though (as well Barkley) is going to drag their performances down. It’s hard when you look at the body language to draw any conclusion other than he has lost elements of the dressing room. Whatever happens significant changes need to come in the summer. We have to get back to basics.

Of keeping clean sheets. His biggest mistake has been dropping Robles for Howard. Once again Howard let in the first goal that was very saveable. It is hard to put into words just how poor a decision it was to restore Howard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back