Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
While that is a perfectly reasoned and logical post and is something most of us would agree on ,it has one major flaw
it doesn't offer enough opportunities for foreign travel for Mr Walsh.
I however agree with practically all you said except for keeping Jageilka.
He has been a great servant to the club but unfortunately I feel his time is up.
A free transfer would suit all parties
I understand where you're coming from with Jags, but the FA cup game v RS showed he still has something to offer when utilised sparingly. He would only be 4th choice back up and I think he could give us another season until Feeney was ready to take his place in the squad after spending next season on loan. I considered keeping Funes Mori instead, but figured we could get decent money for him, especially if he gets into the WC squad.

Are you disagreeing with me here Nymz or just being flippant?. If you're disagreeing, what do you think we need if we're to compete with top 6 next season?

By the way. It isn't half a team at all. Only 3 of those I mentioned are starters, the others are cover/squad players and you could argue that we just stick with Stek for the second keeper.

No I agree we need a fair few I just meant you made it sound like 6 signings isn’t a lot. 3 starters is £££!

Pickford
Coleman -- Holgate -- ??? -- ???
??? -- Gana
Sigurdsson
Walcott -- Tosun -- Lookman

Stekelenburg
Kenny -- Keane -- Jagielka -- Baines
Davies -- Baningime
Dowell -- Vlasic -- Onyekuru
DCL
Sell everyone else...

If we signed 3 players we would cement 7th place and give the kids lots of games.

Next season we create a system, get the players playing a certain way. The following season is where we aim higher.
Personally feel that would leave us with too small a squad Zat. An injury to Tosun, for example, would leave us with no back up striker on the bench and in a situation where DCL is playing too much. Young players need taking out of the firing line now and again and i'm convinced that's been a major part of the problem with Davies this season.

Also, I guess the ??? next to Gana would be a defensive midfielder. We need a baller somewhere in that midfield which is why I suggested bringing in somebody like Wilshire. Rooney is the only one capable of doing that at the moment but even he isn't in your set up.

No I agree we need a fair few I just meant you made it sound like 6 signings isn’t a lot. 3 starters is £££!

Yeah I know. Looking at £40m just for the right quality of CB I would imagine, but Wilshire on a free would be a bonus if we could make that happen. Somebody like N'Zonzi, because of his age, would only be about £20m hopefully.

But we'd also be able to bring in half decent money on the likes of Funes Mori, Schneiderlin, Besic, Mirallas, Niasse and Sandro, so I would hope net spend would be less than £50m. As I said, we could always keep hold of Stek too.

Pickford
Coleman -- Holgate -- ??? -- ???
??? -- Gana
Sigurdsson
Walcott -- Tosun -- Lookman

Stekelenburg
Kenny -- Keane -- Jagielka -- Baines
Davies -- Baningime
Dowell -- Vlasic -- Onyekuru
DCL
Sell everyone else...

If we signed 3 players we would cement 7th place and give the kids lots of games.

Next season we create a system, get the players playing a certain way. The following season is where we aim higher.

Sell Wayne Rooney on 150k a week ,ill have a word with Walsh

..quality is what we need, athleticism is what we need. If those attributes are within somebody young, then all the better. I’m sure such players are out there but i’m less sure we have a DoF who can find them.
Last summer we bought too many players. We also bought the wrong players but that is a separate issue.

Bringing so many new faces into the squad at the same time makes it more difficult to build a team as a cohesive unit and makes it more difficult for the new players to get time on the pitch and to settle at the club.

We should not try to build a team in just one window, signing about four players will be plenty and maybe a young player or two who are not regarded as first team players immediately. Four new players added to the best of what is already therewould improve us enormously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back