Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not a random article tho mate, its from Dom King, somebody who recently has very much had his finger on the Everton pulse.

Somebody that as far as Everton is concerned, seems to mostly print what hes told to print.

I mean I suspect that Silva and Brand have watched most of our games last season, either at the time or via vids, they will of course have also looked at stats as you say and to be fair, Hogates arent amazing.

Mason Holgate Characteristics
+ Strengths
Tackling
Strong
- Weaknesses
Concentration
Very Weak
Crossing
Weak
Holding on to the ball
Weak
Aerial Duels
Weak
Passing
Weak

We all see what Mason is about, he does look a very decent prospect and is still very young, so maybe rather than loaning him out or "risking" him week in week out, we are gonna punt him and put a smallish buyback clause in the deal, in case he can turn that potential into actual talent.

The stats aren't great, but when you drill down they are not bad. His rating at Centre back (from the website you quote) have him at over 7 per game (very respectable from a centre back). I also think his performances in the flesh bely that rating and he was much better.

I looked a bit at other young centre backs game time in the league. Long story short only Declan Rice has completed as many starts/minutes as Holgate (Holgate has more overall, Rice has more in terms of league only). The only defenders I could see who played more were Alexander Arnold & Gomez (who played all his games full back) which is obviously a much easier position for a young player to break through.

You have to ask how much would Liverpool ask for Gomez never mind Alexander Arnold? How much would West Ham ask for Rice? Are we likely to get an offer of anything within that region? If not I would find it very odd to justify moving the lad on.

The minutes argument, when factored in that he has not by no means embarrassed himself (even if as some might suggest his performances have been mixed) give us a number of generalisable points. He is arguably the most developed and impressive young centre back in the league, certainly in the top 2. I'm not sure what we gain from letting him go without a hefty fee.

More broadly I have no issue with moving him on. I suspect West Ham would want at least 20 million for Rice and Liverpool would probably want upwards of 30 for Gomez. If these sort of figures were being banded about for Holgate I would have no massive issue with moving him on. I think we have to be pragmatic about young players. Some we will move on for smaller money, some will play for our first team, others we will give game time too and move them on at the right point to maximise a decent profit on a deal.

I have no problem with that but I do wonder if this summer if this summer is the best time to do that with Holgate. He has actually been very impressive when you consider his age, yet hasn't really had the plaudits to suggest so and the gap between what we could receive and what we would receive is very high. At present I'd be tempted to hold, give further opportunities and perhaps sell next summer.

The stats aren't great, but when you drill down they are not bad. His rating at Centre back (from the website you quote) have him at over 7 per game (very respectable from a centre back). I also think his performances in the flesh bely that rating and he was much better.

I looked a bit at other young centre backs game time in the league. Long story short only Declan Rice has completed as many starts/minutes as Holgate (Holgate has more overall, Rice has more in terms of league only). The only defenders I could see who played more were Alexander Arnold & Gomez (who played all his games full back) which is obviously a much easier position for a young player to break through.

You have to ask how much would Liverpool ask for Gomez never mind Alexander Arnold? How much would West Ham ask for Rice? Are we likely to get an offer of anything within that region? If not I would find it very odd to justify moving the lad on.

The minutes argument, when factored in that he has not by no means embarrassed himself (even if as some might suggest his performances have been mixed) give us a number of generalisable points. He is arguably the most developed and impressive young centre back in the league, certainly in the top 2. I'm not sure what we gain from letting him go without a hefty fee.

More broadly I have no issue with moving him on. I suspect West Ham would want at least 20 million for Rice and Liverpool would probably want upwards of 30 for Gomez. If these sort of figures were being banded about for Holgate I would have no massive issue with moving him on. I think we have to be pragmatic about young players. Some we will move on for smaller money, some will play for our first team, others we will give game time too and move them on at the right point to maximise a decent profit on a deal.

I have no problem with that but I do wonder if this summer if this summer is the best time to do that with Holgate. He has actually been very impressive when you consider his age, yet hasn't really had the plaudits to suggest so and the gap between what we could receive and what we would receive is very high. At present I'd be tempted to hold, give further opportunities and perhaps sell next summer.

Im a fan of him mate, ive liked what ive seen.

For me the lad should be given a real run and with the right partner can more than hold up his end... one more season of development and we could be onto a real player.. deffo not someone we should be thinking of selling now or in the near future!

Reactions: gmb

Are we waiting on Mexico to get binned on Monday? Or waiting on Croatia tomorrow - either way I’d say the favorites are not looking too good so far.....

Are we waiting on Mexico to get binned on Monday? Or waiting on Croatia tomorrow - either way I’d say the favorites are not looking too good so far.....

Possibly.

I cant see us doing much business from the World cup anyway, but maybe the markets stagnated atm cos everybodies focus is either holiday or the world cup.

As I say, I think the most important thing is the whole getting back to work thing, it will give Brands and Silva a better chance to have a chat and also have a few chats with a few players.

I mean its also not just us that will be getting back to work on Monday, other clubs as well, maybe Agents, I know football is a 24/7 thing and it doesnt really "sleep", but its so much easier when everybody is in "work" mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back