Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I believe this Mina link. Reminds me of overloading on #10’s last year but this time on right sided centre halves. Williams is right sided, but just assume as we all hope that he’s punted, that still leaves Jagielka, Keane and Holgate (who apparently isn’t for sale and will play a prominent role next season) as right sided centre backs at the club.

After Mori was sold, we literally don’t have a single left sided centre back at the club other than Lewis Gibson in the u23’s.

Mina as good as he is, is yet another right sided defender which again would leave the squad unbalanced. The likes of Jagielka and Keane CAN play the left sided defender role of course, but it isn’t their best position and it isn’t ideal.

The stories have been constant since the end of the season, by the Echo and elsewhere, that we’re looking for a left back, left sided centre back and a winger/striker.

Unless there are deals in the offing to punt Williams AND Keane/Jags then I’d be surprised if the centre back brought in isn’t left footed.

Right-footed players can play left-sided CB too you know.

Not including Williams but if we are offloading one of Keane or Holgate absolutely no chance we are signing 2x CB's.

Keane
Jags
Holgate
???

5 CB's means 3 are on the bench every game. I think Mina is paper talk sadly.

Keane Holgate plus 2 others? Williams Jags and Mori out hopefully. Pennington reserve 5th choice with one of the others potentially being able to cover full back.

Not sure I believe this Mina link. Reminds me of overloading on #10’s last year but this time on right sided centre halves. Williams is right sided, but just assume as we all hope that he’s punted, that still leaves Jagielka, Keane and Holgate (who apparently isn’t for sale and will play a prominent role next season) as right sided centre backs at the club.

After Mori was sold, we literally don’t have a single left sided centre back at the club other than Lewis Gibson in the u23’s.

Mina as good as he is, is yet another right sided defender which again would leave the squad unbalanced. The likes of Jagielka and Keane CAN play the left sided defender role of course, but it isn’t their best position and it isn’t ideal.

The stories have been constant since the end of the season, by the Echo and elsewhere, that we’re looking for a left back, left sided centre back and a winger/striker.

Unless there are deals in the offing to punt Williams AND Keane/Jags then I’d be surprised if the centre back brought in isn’t left footed.
Supposedly this Bensebaini is coming in too, who's a left sided CB. So I guess that would be the starting two, if you were to believe any of this. Williams out the door, Jagielka past it and wouldn't be surprised to see him go too if we get another right sided player. Plenty of Championship clubs would take him I reckon. He was linked with leaving just last year iirc.

If you believe any of it of course.

Keane Holgate plus 2 others? Williams Jags and Mori out hopefully. Pennington reserve 5th choice with one of the others potentially being able to cover full back.

No chance Jags is leaving this summer. He's already spoken about next season and we are never ruthless with our over the hill "legends".

It'll be 1x CB coming in and 1x LB with Williams and Mori out imo.

The cynic in me says The Echo are using Mina to push through a move for this Bensebaini or Vida.

That from a French football writer and podcaster so you’d assume he’s watched and knows the player pretty well.

Again, this one to me makes more sense than the Mina links. We desperately need a left footed centre back in the team/squad.

Right-footed players can play left-sided CB too you know.
Yes I know and I actually said that in the post you’ve just quoted. But for balance, it isn’t ideal and it’s a bugbear of mine.

I like left footed players on the left side of defence, and right footed players on the right side. I’ve always felt that way. Why shoe horn a right footed player on to the left side where he naturally isn’t as comfortable or effective?

Bugged the hell out of me watching Martina constantly checking back on to his right foot whilst playing left back last season. He’s cr@p at his natural right back position also admittedly, but at least he looks more comfortable there.

There fact we haven’t got a single left footed centre back at the club needs to be addressed and thankfully, that seems to be one of the priorities.

Imo we won't get Mina, think that's agents using us again as leverage. Unless Jags and Williams go out, I can't see us signing two new CBs of starting quality and (if the links to Bensebaini and Tierney are true) I can't see us going into the season with a starting CB pairing and LB who are inexperienced in the Premier League and young to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back