Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those stats don't show him being eased in though do they? They show him scoring 21 league goals in his first full season after 10 games the season before. DCL had 11 games last season and has so far scored 4 in his first full league season. The comparison just makes him look rubbish, which is unfair to the lad, and i'm sure isn't the effect you were going for.

I'm not sure where this sudden penchant for comparing one player to another and then saying 'i'm not comparing them but...' has come from but it seems rife at the moment.

To stay on topic, I hope we bring in a striker of real quality who can both work with and without Tosun, allowing DCL to take a back seat and work on his game with a view to becoming the real deal further down the line.

Ha, I think the stats at teams like Norwich and leicester were meant to be included

I did say below the stats that, "I'm not saying DCL will turn into a Wordie." Harry Kane was eased in as a Premier League striker. DCL should be afforded the same time.
Kane wasn't eased in he forced his way through because anyone could see he is a goal poacher. Kane had to do it the hard way.
Kane had to break into the team when spurs had Dempsey, bale, adebayor and Defoe.

What's DCL's excuse, at the start of the season he only had missed as competition

8 Goals in 2054 minutes is just about 1 goal every 2.8 games which is not terrible.
6 Assists is an assist every 3.8 games
He's involved in a goal every 1.6 games.

The lad is doing just fine, give him abit of support

Isnt it more like 2200mins now? Agree with your sentiment though ;)

1 in 5 in things that arent the EFL cup, and consistently missing sitters like last week.

Probably has single handedly cost us about 10 points this season. I hope he will do fine in about 2 years, but hes nowhere near it now. Harping on a strikers assists, who cant score goals, is like talking about how many assists a goalie has when he keeps letting in every shot.

What in the name of Zeus are you on about? That's rhetorical lol

Every manager ? So koeman , unsworth ( about 6 games) and Sam? All three are crap managers and we havnt had a single striker all season up till January.

So you list the facts to prove my point...then try and make an excuse for them...lol

View attachment 45493

Above are the Stats for a Mr H.Kane. I'm not saying DCL will turn into a Worldbeater but he needs time as Raino85 has suggested.

Its just common sense really...

Why have you provided stats which show Harry Kane having a PL record of 1 in 3.3 or better for his entire Spurs career in the PL to support an argument for DCL who has a PL record of about 1 every 8 games?

These comparisons to top class players really don't help, because he comes off worse in them every time. Just let him develop and accept that while he may turn into a great player/goalscorer, he also may not. Personally I'd prefer to focus on what he is right now, which is a striker who works hard and has some excellent natural attributes, but currently doesn't really have enough to his game to justify him being a regular PL player.

Where do you come up with 1 in 8?

I did say below the stats that, "I'm not saying DCL will turn into a Wordie." Harry Kane was eased in as a Premier League striker. DCL should be afforded the same time.

Those stats don't show him being eased in though do they? They show him scoring 21 league goals in his first full season after 10 games the season before. DCL had 11 games last season and has so far scored 4 in his first full league season. The comparison just makes him look rubbish, which is unfair to the lad, and i'm sure isn't the effect you were going for.

I'm not sure where this sudden penchant for comparing one player to another and then saying 'i'm not comparing them but...' has come from but it seems rife at the moment.

To stay on topic, I hope we bring in a striker of real quality who can both work with and without Tosun, allowing DCL to take a back seat and work on his game with a view to becoming the real deal further down the line.

Surely the logic is simply to show that even top players need time...could use Drogba as an example...theres loads.

How many times since christmas has he actually played up front?

2 starts with one up front.
7 other sub appearances I think its four up front...

He's got a goal and 2 assists from 3.5 games worth of play,

I’m just reminding him
While some of his posts make sense and he does great research into players his fascination with youth and the belief that you can win trophies with a lot of young players puzzles me.
Even Fergie’s class of 92 had a spine of older experienced players and only 4 ( G Neville , Scholes , Beckham and Giggs ) as regulars
The rest were either sold or second choice ( P Neville , Butt )

While some of his posts make sense and he does great research into players his fascination with youth and the belief that you can win trophies with a lot of young players puzzles me.
Even Fergie’s class of 92 had a spine of older experienced players and only 4 ( G Neville , Scholes , Beckham and Giggs ) as regulars
The rest were either sold or second choice ( P Neville , Butt )

This is an interesting post...i'd also be keen to learn how many young lads leeds had under O'Leary in the champs league..

To be clear on this my views are;

1 -- We wont be spending as much as other sides so need to find another way into the top 4

2 -- If we had 11 u21 players in the squad, even as a second 11, then that means no need to spend on squad players and we can focus on only bringing in first choice 'stars'.

3 -- Conversely, I don't believe trophies can be won with a lot of young players...taking onboard my above two points, what I think is that if a group of young players were to come through together (as we have now) then this can create a togetherness and team spirit. Also, as they will all know how each other plays having come through together then the gradual addition of key players would help them develop...when these young lads hit 23-25 and are playing with 3-5 'stars' that's when we would be looking at top 4.

Pickford
Kenny
Holgate
Feeney
Connolly
Davies
Baningime
Williams
Dowell
Lookman
Onyekuru
Vlasic
DCL

If we have a 25 man squad and these players can keep developing and improving then that's 13 places filled...Some will be first choices, others squad players and some will be sold off...

But they need games to gain experience and improve.

4 -- Fast forward 3 seasons...Next season we have a small squad and spread a lot of game time around...Season 2 we sign 2/3 very good starters...Season 3 we go for 2/3 more top players, that's when we look to push the top 4...not now...now is just building.

DcL is fine as a developing player, problem is he should be fourth choice. It again highlights the weakness in our squad that he's pretty much first change on the left wing and forward. A senior striker takes that chance on Saturday for all of his good attributes. I'd also have backed Lookman...

I really want to see a manager and DoF come in with a real vision for the future and a style for the team. (Importance of DoF is to make sure we don't just have to scrap everything every new manager) I think that's where the new regime have really fallen down. This is why I want a young, talented manager - and not some big name mercenary who perhaps want to give their name a boost after damaging it at a bigger club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back