Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I know is when Gana leaves the game our midfield goes from competent to absolutely invisible. So I feel like he probably is good enough to play regardless of the formation since he props up Schneiderlin/Gylfi/Davies/Besic to a useful level

I love Gana but he isnt a holding midfielder.

He plays like the Kante mould ball hunter who always does the running for the deep lying midfielder:

Kante Drinkwater at Leicester

Kante Matic at Chelsea

Essentially we have 2 ball hunters in Gana and McCarthy who are / were the legs for Schnerderlin and previously Barry.

If we go with Gana and a holding midfielder and one of Bernard / Gylfi then thats fine but if he opts for both Bernard and Gylfi I cant see Gana playing unless Silva wants to go all radical.

I love Gana but he isnt a holding midfielder.

He plays like the Kante mould ball hunter who always does the running for the deep lying midfielder:

Kante Drinkwater at Leicester

Kante Matic at Chelsea

Essentially we have 2 ball hunters in Gana and McCarthy who are / were the legs for Schnerderlin and previously Barry.

If we go with Gana and a holding midfielder and one of Bernard / Gylfi then thats fine but if he opts for both Bernard and Gylfi I cant see Gana playing unless Silva wants to go all radical.
I don't see why he can't play behind Gylfi and Bernard breaking up play. I understand how we have played but that doesn't mean we have to keep doing it. What skill does he lack and don't say passing because he is absolutely fine just not spectacular

If that happens then we might see a good season. My point is that there should have been no if about it.
Agreed. The CB issue is worrying, but the signings made so far have been good and Bernard should be an excellent addition.

CB still needed though, personally I'd have given up on Mina as he looks to be stringing us along, and moved for Lacelles but we may still get them both done. Newcastle just care about £££ so I'd throw £35m at them to test their resolve.

I don't see why he can't play behind Gylfi and Bernard breaking up play. I understand how we have played but that doesn't mean we have to keep doing it. What skill does he lack and don't say passing because he is absolutely fine just not spectacular

I think its more than in that formation we would need that pivot in the middle mate who can shield the back 4 and stay in position but also link up defence with attack and be able to spray long passes which Gana simply couldnt do. Morgan has it in him but you very rarely see it.

Nzonzi would be the dream signing he has all the attributes we are crying out for.

Hopefully we get 1-2 more through the door ;)

Agreed. The CB issue is worrying, but the signings made so far have been good and Bernard should be an excellent addition.

CB still needed though, personally I'd have given up on Mina as he looks to be stringing us along, and moved for Lacelles but we may still get them both done. Newcastle just care about £££ so I'd throw £35m at them to test their resolve.
I’d love him here, but I think it would take more like 50m and I don’t think we’ll be doing that.

Joyce/king/Hunter etc have been strangely quiet this summer. None of them called the Richarlison deal, that was broken by someone from the Daily Mail, and none of them had a whiff of Bernard either, that was broken by Lee Clayton, also from the Daily Mail.

The Mail have been bang on the money!

I think its more than in that formation we would need that pivot in the middle mate who can shield the back 4 and stay in position but also link up defence with attack and be able to spray long passes which Gana simply couldnt do. Morgan has it in him but you very rarely see it.

Nzonzi would be the dream signing he has all the attributes we are crying out for.

Hopefully we get 1-2 more through the door ;)
I'm not saying Gana is perfect for the role but he is a really solid player and honestly it is probably going to be tough to find someone better. N'Zonzi is a decent shout and I'd take him but he has the likes of Roma sniffing around. I'm probably in the minority but I don't think a Schneiderlin and Gana combo is the end of the world for this season. But Schneiderlin with Davies or Besic won't do

Can't see Lascelles happening for three reasons...
1. Ashley would want a massive fee, £50m plus... and would have no time to re-invest it in replacements
2. The fans up there would go nuts if he sold arguably their best player right before the deadline
3. Benitez would likely quit in disgust leaving them minus their best player and with no manager

Even Mike Ashley isn't that daft... is he ?

The loan market still running until the end of the month gives the club plenty of time to further reduce the size of the wage bill and get a few of the younger players out to gain some experience.

Interesting to see what happens, you could see any of Pennington, Galloway, Browning, Beni, Connolly, going out on loan again.

Reckon Besic will end up back at Boro with their Traore money coming in and hopefully the Bolasie rumours are true too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back