Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are trying to get the RIGHT CB in, I’m sure they could’ve signed some mediocre CB a long time ago. We are acquiring quality at this point and shipping out quantity.

Which I'm all behind, as well.

There is a balancing act and I think it's fair to say we all - probably including Silva and perhaps Brands - expected the key parts to be in a tad sooner. We have two out of four so far. Bernard would be a brilliant little bonus.

I know for sure this to be the case: We needed a CB and LB in very quickly after the window opened. We did neither. Now we're even struggling to get a CB and the manager is correct in saying we afce another preseason when/if we get his targets.

Brands has got shut of a lot of players and not balanced that out with purchasing key reinforcements.

Conveniently leaving out there's been a world's cup on there aren't we.

We could of gotten that lad from Celtic about a month earlier then dinge. We would of spent £35m on a 21 year old who is completely unproven in a competitive leauge. We didn't we waited and got dinge for £18m a 25 year old lad who has played for and won things for some of the best teams in the world.

We could of gotten diop who went to west ham for £20m. We identified mina before the world cup. Unfortunately for us the lad had a stormer and United and lyon are in the mix.

My point is that we are aiming for a higher calibre of player and unfortunately they take longer to do deals with.

Richarlison is a prime example. Young exciting kid with bags full of potential but no body was interested in the lad. Hits the media was done in a week.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that if this was any other season and the transfer window closed on the 31st. If we had all of our business done by the 9th, brands would of been praised for getting all the players in early. So talk of needing another pre season to bed them in is bull because its been like that in this country for a long time.

I do think he's been critical, but is it not fair to say that we all did expect some movement a bit sooner on key targets?

Look, I've actually criticised and disagreed with Joyce a fair bit in the past. He's a sound bloke (according to the people I know who have met him) and I think it's excellent we have him as a (reliable) link to the club in a very good paper, even if he is a slimy Red.

In this instance though, I don't think he's gone overboard. I do think there has to be questions asked of everyone involved for leaving things so late, when it's clear what we needed.

Hopefully, those questions can be asked safe in the knowledge we have got our targets in.
I agree mate. Don’t think Joyce has said anything out of the ordinary to be fair. I’m very frustrated with the lack of players brought to the club. It’s been obvious from his first day on the job that silva required 2 new centre backs. We have let 2 go (rightly in my opinion) but with 2 days left in the window and no new arrivals in central defence, the question needs to be asked why? We have been shocking defensively pre-season. I just hope that the Mina saga, doesn’t end up being like the Giroud saga from last season, whereby all our focus has gone into attaining one specific player and we end up with no one.

We made one mistake we should already have one CB in already at least. I understand the argument for targeting quality but there is a bare minimum requirement too. And we currently have two fit CBs and neither have our confidence protected by a very slow, ponderous player. We have pretty much thrown away chances of quick start unless we get someone in this week who is ready to go and we get very lucky in our opening run of fixtures. For all the fuss around Mina(even if he comes) he is an unknown quantity in this league which is why I favour a loan or more experienced Premier league option as well

Bascombe and Hunter had the Bernard scoop yesterday as well mate.

Joyce, Hunter, Bascombe, Maddock, King - those guys sit in a room with the manager and press officer after every press conference (if they are in attendance of course). They are the local journos for the nationals and as such are the ones who get the embargoed stuff.

Same goes for the Echo, except the Echo have their own meeting either before or after the presser (usually Kirkbride and Prentice).

We may well start using different sources, but it's probably just a case of Brands keeping everything very close to his chest. When there is news, it is still coming from those guys as well, even if they aren't the ones to break it. The club trust them.

Joyce will have a good working relationship with a few members of the Everton staff, which is where he may get tidbits of info like he has put into his article. That won't come from the club in a formal way. It doesn't mean he's been bitter, he's just giving his opinion based on information he has been given.
That's not true though, is it? They reported on it after that lid at the Mail broke it. That's not a scoop, that's lift and cover. Bascombe, Hunter and Joyce have not broken one bit of transfer news this year, in or out. I'm not saying that they are not decent journalists, I'm also not saying that they don't have good contacts at the club but it doesn't appear that they are getting any info ahead of anyone else. At least not this year.

The reality is, we were left in a situation in which we were told very early on, we didn't have huge sums to spend and needed to shift people 1st, most importantly to make space for incoming wages.

The priority was always to reduce the
Squad size and hopefully get players in to strengthen areas where we were weak. We had a new manager and backroom staff and he had to evaluate the squad while contending with an extended world cup break. It seems to me, he realised we needed a left back as priority, and additional pace, while clearly deciding that Bolasie, Mirallas, Klassen, Mori, Williams, Garbutt, Rooney, etc were expendable and/or on too much money to be kept about for the sake of it. Without wanting a repeat of last year, with huge turn over of playing staff and no stability, he has obviously had to prioritise certain areas over others. This was never going to be fixed in 2 months with a shorter than normal window and a squad full of mercinaries.

Time and patience are required while they do the job they've been tasked. Let's wait and see.
It needed to be done with greater balance between outgoings and incomings in terms of time. Backload all ther incomings and that creates frustration and pressure for the manager needing to gel a team.

It's been rank amateur planning.

Conveniently leaving out there's been a world's cup on there aren't we.

We could of gotten that lad from Celtic about a month earlier then dinge. We would of spent £35m on a 21 year old who is completely unproven in a competitive leauge. We didn't we waited and got dinge for £18m a 25 year old lad who has played for and won things for some of the best teams in the world.

We could of gotten diop who went to west ham for £20m. We identified mina before the world cup. Unfortunately for us the lad had a stormer and United and lyon are in the mix.

My point is that we are aiming for a higher calibre of player and unfortunately they take longer to do deals with.

Richarlison is a prime example. Young exciting kid with bags full of potential but no body was interested in the lad. Hits the media was done in a week.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that if this was any other season and the transfer window closed on the 31st. If we had all of our business done by the 9th, brands would of been praised for getting all the players in early. So talk of needing another pre season to bed them in is bull because its been like that in this country for a long time.
I'm fully backing the manager here. He's not happy and therefore we shouldn't be either.

I agree mate. Don’t think Joyce has said anything out of the ordinary to be fair. I’m very frustrated with the lack of players brought to the club. It’s been obvious from his first day on the job that silva required 2 new centre backs. We have let 2 go (rightly in my opinion) but with 2 days left in the window and no new arrivals in central defence, the question needs to be asked why? We have been shocking defensively pre-season. I just hope that the Mina saga, doesn’t end up being like the Giroud saga from last season, whereby all our focus has gone into attaining one specific player and we end up with no one.

Tbf, I would have said that from day one we needed 1 cb - and I was willing to see how Keane could adapt. Given Silva is wanting to play a high line and Holgate (our only CB capable of playing that way) is currently injured, we should have seen movement sooner. That being said, it's clear we have targets and want to work on getting those first-choice targets in.

No its not.

When have coaching staff ever been called playing staff
They're part of the playing staff. What you are referring to is a squad of players. The two aren't the same thing. You have "playing staff" as a term to describe a much wider group of people who aren't part of the administration of the club.

There are two basic large armies at a club: administration and playing staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back