Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's our best right sided attacking midfielder and probably the only positive to come from last season.

It's nice to play football manager and slot other players into our formation but that's not real life. Look. Walcott is a great professional, has lots more to give, never complains. He's out of form, nothing more. It's the no mark wantaways that have never accomplished anything in their careers but demand the spotlight that need shifting.
I don't even think he's out of form. He's just inconsistent as most players of that ilk are. If he wasn't he'd be playing for Barcelona.

He's a must to have in the team away from home and in games where he has space to run into. Teams are frightened of his pace and just that fear can sometimes curb the oppositions attacking ability too.

At home, we have more options now and I'd like to see Marco use them occasionally now we're getting a fully fit squad.

I don't even think he's out of form. He's just inconsistent as most players of that ilk are. If he wasn't he'd be playing for Barcelona.

He's a must to have in the team away from home and in games where he has space to run into. Teams are frightened of his pace and just that fear can sometimes curb the oppositions attacking ability too.

At home, we have more options now and I'd like to see Marco use them occasionally now we're getting a fully fit squad.

If we had a Lukaku just imagine the goals we would score on the break with Richarlison and Walcott either side.

So so frustrating we still haven't replaced Rom with a top or even half decent goalscorer.

Harsh on Tosun, that. He's absolutely half decent. He's a 10-15 goal a season man. And there aren't many of them that can even do that.

Disagree entirely mate and I'll leave it at that as him and DCL have their fans for reasons I cant see. Both wouldn't look out of place leading the line for the likes of Crystal Palace and Southampton and that alone is a reason to say they aint good enough for us.

Disagree entirely mate and I'll leave it at that as him and DCL have their fans for reasons I cant see. Both wouldn't look out of place leading the line for the likes of Crystal Palace and Southampton and that alone is a reason to say they aint good enough for us.

With respect mate you're moving the goal posts within the debate. You originally said "we haven't replaced Rom with even a half decent goalscorer". And i'd say the impact Tosun has had since he came would put him within the bracket of half decent.

I'd agree, he's not good enough to be our first choice striker on his current showing. It is still early days though for him in England so i'm loathe to write him off.

At the weekend, Sakho is no slouch but he anticipated the ball and his first touch with his wrong foot to set the shot was absolutely outstanding.

There's life in our balding Turkish prince.

With respect mate you're moving the goal posts within the debate. You originally said "we haven't replaced Rom with even a half decent goalscorer". And i'd say the impact Tosun has had since he came would put him within the bracket of half decent.

I'd agree, he's not good enough to be our first choice striker on his current showing. It is still early days though for him in England so i'm loathe to write him off.

At the weekend, Sakho is no slouch but he anticipated the ball and his first touch with his wrong foot to set the shot was absolutely outstanding.

He is decent coming on against tiring legs chasing a game but that doesn't say much mate. We have gone from a top striker to the likes of him, DCL and Niasse.

Its gutting that midtable outfits like West Ham and Leicester have better options up top than us.

If I was Brands I would be getting shot of all 3 over the next 2 transfer windows and get Rashford/Martial with King as back up in then we can say we are top 6 contenders.

The issue is that we want to push for the top 6 but the top 6 have some of the best attacking talent in the world so any of our strikers are facing an impossible comparison at times. Kane and Aguero are already two of the best strikers in premier league history, Salah holds the goal record for most in a season, Lukaku could have a run at the all time record, Aubemayang is already looking prolific whilst Hazard is one of the best players in the world. Tosun and Calvert Lewin are both good strikers who will put up decent numbers this season I’m sure but because they’re not in that top bracket they’ll always suffer unfair comparisons and be written off as completely useless for anything less than 20 a season. If we get the service right into either of them they’ve shown they can score at this level.

The issue is that we want to push for the top 6 but the top 6 have some of the best attacking talent in the world so any of our strikers are facing an impossible comparison at times. Kane and Aguero are already two of the best strikers in premier league history, Salah holds the goal record for most in a season, Lukaku could have a run at the all time record, Aubemayang is already looking prolific whilst Hazard is one of the best players in the world. Tosun and Calvert Lewin are both good strikers who will put up decent numbers this season I’m sure but because they’re not in that top bracket they’ll always suffer unfair comparisons and be written off as completely useless for anything less than 20 a season. If we get the service right into either of them they’ve shown they can score at this level.
Spot on my old friend.

3 of those players big moves didn’t work out. Lozano is already in the champions league and has his entire career in front of him.[/QUOTE
the three Barca lads were all on lengthy contracts and decided to leave them,Bernard could have had his pick of clubs in champions league and Europa league but came here ,.maybe a little more faith and belief is needed

Harsh on Tosun, that. He's absolutely half decent. He's a 10-15 goal a season man. And there aren't many of them that can even do that.
The other thing is that, because we played to Lukaku's strengths, nobody else within the team ever scored more that 6 or 7. We now have 4 or 5 players very capable of getting double figures and I would argue that we don't need a player to score 20 goals, nice as it would be to have one. Pretty certain Lukaku's only ever done it once by the way in 6 seasons.

I like Tosun, but it is going to be hard to break into the top 6 with him as our principle striker. Away from home where there is space to run into I would prefer Richarlison, and that also frees up the left side for Bernard. But you would still expect Tosun to start probably 2/3rds of our games.

He's fine for now but I think maybe next season we need to upgrade if possible. Easier said than done though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back