Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been travelling most of today and keeping up with the news but haven't had a chance to post. What a day it's been for us, absolutely delighted about the business we've done and credit has to go to Marco, Marcel and even Kenwright for making all these deals go through.

• Richarlison at £35m rising to £44m - huge sum but when you look at this transfer window (Anguissa to Fulham for £30m - he looks talented but I can't see how he's ever worth £5m less than Richarlison) and the deals going through, it looks like a reasonable deal for a player that has the potential to be as good as pretty much anyone. Redknapp comparing him to a young Cristiano is probably a good comparison - you can see the similarities in their styles

• Digne at £18m - he's 25 and has already had spells at Barca, PSG and Roma as well as playing a lot for France. If he hadn't been behind Alba (no shame in that), he would have been starting for the World Champions in Russia. That price in this market is extremely good value - just look at who Leicester bought for even more than that earlier on today.

• Virginia from Arsenal. No idea on the price but the fact that Arsenal fans seemed cut up about an 18 year old goalkeeper leaving them sums up his potential. Who knows if we'll ever see him play but he seems worth taking the chance on.

• Mina at 28m - it's expensive for sure but when you spend that kind of fee on someone unproven it's nice to know that big clubs like Lyon (eat my shorts Aulas) and Man United were interested in him. You don't win Brazilian league CB of the year twice in a row at just 21/22 years of age, earn a move to Barca and then have a cracking world cup without being seriously talented.

It's hard to tell if he'd adjust but we've been crying out for aggression at CB for years and this bloke has it in bucket loads. He's unplayable in the air and it's nice to have that threat, as well as having someone who can actually sniff out weak crosses which seems to be our weakness these days. Barca's buy back clause is £54m which is more than fair - if they buy him for that then it was a player worth having for the time being.

• Andre Gomes on loan for the season for just £2m is nothing short of a genius transfer. It's been obvious to our whole fan base that we need someone who can win the ball in midfield and drive it forward - this lad does both exceptionally well. I'd like to think that him and Gana will form a great duo in our midfield. He might not have performed at Barca but it's not easy to go there and perform (see £100m Dembele) - despite his struggles, he played in most of their matches and prior to that he was Valencia's best player.

• Bernard on a FREE. I've saved this until last because I've been waiting for a player like this to come to Goodison for years. How many times have our fans said we need someone who has "magic" and "unlocks defences"? If there's anyone available who fits that description it's Bernard. He's a true magician and for me he's a massive coup. If he was under contract at Shahktar I have no doubts he would've cost £30-40m and even then I'm sure he had offers to go to some of the biggest clubs in Europe. What a signing.
Looks like Zouma is also on his way. He's quick, tall, powerful, good on the ball and Crouch said that he had the biggest leap he's ever seen. I really hope we get him in as we need another player who can play in a high line and his speed makes it work. I doubt there'd be a more powerful partnership in the PL than Zouma and Mina and it'll cause any team problems. Ideally the delays are that we have an option to buy but either way it would be a brilliant no risk signing.

It's almost as if Marco and Marcel looked at our team, saw where we were lacking and went out and found a solution for every problem we had. On paper it's been that good a window and probably our best for a long, long time. I'll never understand how anyone can look at the business we've done and say anything negative.

Football is never simple and we learned that last season - however, it's refreshing to know that we'll at least try to play attacking football and that we've signed the players to make it work. Expectations are high this season but if we can get top 7, qualify for Europa, have a cup run and play great football then it's progress - we might even grab an away win at one of the other top clubs while we're at it.

:cheers:
Excellent summary my friend. Mirrors my thinking almost to the letter.

A very well done to both Marcel and Marco for making this happen, and to Mosh for facilitating it.

Back in April when we had the "is he/isn't he going" saga, the prospect of another season with Allardyce in charge had me despairing over our future. Now, I'm feeling quite the opposite.

Now we all need to calm down, be patient and get behind the players, including the likes of even Schneiderlin,jags and Keane on Saturday.

It's gonna take a few months to get a settled side adept at silvas game plan.

Good thing is, IF the bulk of these players settle going forward we shouldn't need as many numbers in the next few windows, just upgrades here and there.

I'd envisage none in in January.

Next summer looking at the potential squad on paper, a top striker will be the priority.

I think you always have to be looking.
If a potential gem comes up we go for it. Brands will be quickly assessing what we have and what could be better in early Autumn no doubt.

I would still like Lozano :)

I've been travelling most of today and keeping up with the news but haven't had a chance to post. What a day it's been for us, absolutely delighted about the business we've done and credit has to go to Marco, Marcel and even Kenwright for making all these deals go through.

• Richarlison at £35m rising to £44m - huge sum but when you look at this transfer window (Anguissa to Fulham for £30m - he looks talented but I can't see how he's ever worth £5m less than Richarlison) and the deals going through, it looks like a reasonable deal for a player that has the potential to be as good as pretty much anyone. Redknapp comparing him to a young Cristiano is probably a good comparison - you can see the similarities in their styles

• Digne at £18m - he's 25 and has already had spells at Barca, PSG and Roma as well as playing a lot for France. If he hadn't been behind Alba (no shame in that), he would have been starting for the World Champions in Russia. That price in this market is extremely good value - just look at who Leicester bought for even more than that earlier on today.

• Virginia from Arsenal. No idea on the price but the fact that Arsenal fans seemed cut up about an 18 year old goalkeeper leaving them sums up his potential. Who knows if we'll ever see him play but he seems worth taking the chance on.

• Mina at 28m - it's expensive for sure but when you spend that kind of fee on someone unproven it's nice to know that big clubs like Lyon (eat my shorts Aulas) and Man United were interested in him. You don't win Brazilian league CB of the year twice in a row at just 21/22 years of age, earn a move to Barca and then have a cracking world cup without being seriously talented.

It's hard to tell if he'd adjust but we've been crying out for aggression at CB for years and this bloke has it in bucket loads. He's unplayable in the air and it's nice to have that threat, as well as having someone who can actually sniff out weak crosses which seems to be our weakness these days. Barca's buy back clause is £54m which is more than fair - if they buy him for that then it was a player worth having for the time being.

• Andre Gomes on loan for the season for just £2m is nothing short of a genius transfer. It's been obvious to our whole fan base that we need someone who can win the ball in midfield and drive it forward - this lad does both exceptionally well. I'd like to think that him and Gana will form a great duo in our midfield. He might not have performed at Barca but it's not easy to go there and perform (see £100m Dembele) - despite his struggles, he played in most of their matches and prior to that he was Valencia's best player.

• Bernard on a FREE. I've saved this until last because I've been waiting for a player like this to come to Goodison for years. How many times have our fans said we need someone who has "magic" and "unlocks defences"? If there's anyone available who fits that description it's Bernard. He's a true magician and for me he's a massive coup. If he was under contract at Shahktar I have no doubts he would've cost £30-40m and even then I'm sure he had offers to go to some of the biggest clubs in Europe. What a signing.
Looks like Zouma is also on his way. He's quick, tall, powerful, good on the ball and Crouch said that he had the biggest leap he's ever seen. I really hope we get him in as we need another player who can play in a high line and his speed makes it work. I doubt there'd be a more powerful partnership in the PL than Zouma and Mina and it'll cause any team problems. Ideally the delays are that we have an option to buy but either way it would be a brilliant no risk signing.

It's almost as if Marco and Marcel looked at our team, saw where we were lacking and went out and found a solution for every problem we had. On paper it's been that good a window and probably our best for a long, long time. I'll never understand how anyone can look at the business we've done and say anything negative.

Football is never simple and we learned that last season - however, it's refreshing to know that we'll at least try to play attacking football and that we've signed the players to make it work. Expectations are high this season but if we can get top 7, qualify for Europa, have a cup run and play great football then it's progress - we might even grab an away win at one of the other top clubs while we're at it.

:cheers:

Good post mate, just on your last point, they didn’t just go out to buy were we are weak, they bought in areas that there was zero competition for and players have been under performing.

They now have to fight for their place. The competition has been purposely created.

I fully expect many of our players already here to kick on this year because they now have to fight and earn their place in the team.

Of course!

1. Pickford (GK) 24
  2. Robles (GK) 28 ❌
  3. Stekelenberg (GK) 35
  4. Joao Virginia (GK) 18 ⬅️
  5. Coleman (RB) 29
  6. Kenny (RB) 21
  7. Martina (RB) 28
  8. Digne (LB) 25 ⬅️
  9. Baines (LB) 33
  10. Garbutt (LB) 25 ❌ (loan)
  11. Robinson (LB) 20 ❌ (loan)
  12. Mina (CB) 23 ⬅️
  13. Jagielka (CB) 35
  14. Williams (CB) 33 ❌ (loan)
  15. Keane (CB) 25
  16. Funes Mori (CB) 27 ❌
  17. Holgate (CB) 21
  18. Pennington (CB) 23
  19. Browning (CB) 24
  20. Galloway (CB) 22
  21. Gueye (DM) 28
  22. Baningime (DM) 19
  23. Schneiderlin (DM) 28
  24. McCarthy (DM) 27
  25. Besic (DM) 25
  26. Connolly (DM) 20 ❌ (loan)
  27. Klaassen (CM) 25 ❌
  28. Davies (CM) 20
  29. André Gomes (CM) 25 ⬅️
  30. Bernard (AM) 25 ⬅️
  31. Rooney (AM) 32 ❌
  32. Sigurdsson (AM) 28
  33. Dowell (AM) 20
  34. Tarashaj (AM) 23 ❌ (loan)
  35. Vlasic (RW) 20
  36. Walcott (RW) 29
  37. Sandro (RW) 23
  38. Richarlison (LW) 21 ⬅️
  39. Lookman (LW) 20
  40. Bolasie (LW) 29
  41. Mirallas (LW) 30 ❌ (loan)
  42. Onyekuru (LW) 21 ❌ (loan)
  43. Tosun (ST) 27
  44. Calvert-Lewin (ST) 21
  45. Niasse (ST) 28

In: 6 (Richarlison, Digne, Joao Virginia, Bernard, Mina, André Gomes)

Out: 11 (Robles, Funes Mori, Rooney, Garbutt, Onyekuru, Tarashaj, Klaassen, Williams, Robinson, Mirallas, Connolly)

Current Total: 34
Do these 8 before the window closes and it'll be alright.

• Martina (RB) 28
  • Pennington (CB) 23
  • Browning (CB) 24
  • Galloway (CB) 22
  • Baningime (DM) 19
  • Schneiderlin (DM) 28
  • Besic (DM) 25
  • Bolasie (LW) 29

Martina
Pennington
Browning
Galloway
Schneiderlin
McCarthy
Besic
Sandro
Bolasie
+1 more ive forgotten, its 10.

May also punt one of keane/jags as theyre 4/5th choice

Good post mate, just on your last point, they didn’t just go out to buy were we are weak, they bought in areas that there was zero competition for and players have been under performing.

They now have to fight for their place. The competition has been purposely created.

I fully expect many of our players already here to kick on this year because they now have to fight and earn their place in the team.

Completely agree. It works both ways, Gylfi now doesn’t have as much pressure because we have a lot more quality around him and at the same time there’s not a single player without competition.

For me, the only two names guaranteed on the team sheet are Coleman and Pickford and both are already unbelievably motivated individuals.

I'm more hopeful now than I was before we acquired these players.

I think we have to place some trust in this manager and hand him time to work on these players to gel them and find the right system/formation to get the best out of them. That could take until after Christmas.

I just hope all those elated now and criticising others for trying to assess what we've signed will be the same people who give this Silva managership time to develop and the players he's bought the time to show what they can do.

Dave ,you're my always steady compass in keeping my occasional irrational positive Everton-feeling in check. Since you always serve up your ever healthy doses of scepticism I must warn you that with this kind of frivolous use of positive words I am at risk of developing a feeling I have truly not felt since the finest of seasons where Martinez had control of our mighty team.
No irony in this. This is just great.
I'll let you make me worry about the bill for this party later.

Just rode the red fume, how we're going to go bankrupt, can't afford to pay salaries due to our grounds limited capacity, relying on council grants etc, they're really on the rack.... I just said one word and it nearly went off,
Usmanov,

That's their biggest fear,

They are a truly insane group of fans. I've never seen a bunch of people project so hard. Screaming that we are to low to even be noticed by them while completely obsessing over us.

I honestly think that we are the only thing keeping them sane...ish. if we were to finish above them and win something, I truly believe there would be suicides in this city.

They are a truly insane group of fans. I've never seen a bunch of people project so hard. Screaming that we are to low to even be noticed by them while completely obsessing over us.

I honestly think that we are the only thing keeping them sane...ish. if we were to finish above them and win something, I truly believe there would be suicides in this city.

I still remember the screaming and wailing when we shut them out at Anfield to ensure we finished abead of them for the second season in a row and every single one of their media mouthpieces was up in arms about us absolutely fuming. If we won the next trophy between the two clubs there’d be incidents. If it was the league their would be riots and civil unrest on the streets.

As totally awesome as the day has been, wise homeboy Davek speaks so much sense - The manager dude needs time to get these ballers performing together. My stoke meter was running on empty Monday, but just 3 day later it’s been turbo charged with the signings - Drafting new homies in doesn’t always equate to winning streaks. Patience is needed bro-steiners.

I am super amped for the season, can’t wait for Saturday, chugging some kegs with my squad.

Peace out homies. x
That was a pretty funny post at my expense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back