Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I think he’s different to Gueye, Bri. I’m sure folk on here have seen more of him than him than me, but he’s not as ‘busy’ . I just wonder if Silva/Brands want somebody with the discipline to protect the back four, win the ball and give it to the playmakers. Barrios seems that type.

There were plenty of links in the summer but apparently his club President was desperate to keep hold of him until December. He has a £15m release clause but the indication is he will be even cheaper in January. A few months ago @Stephenlloyd posted a link suggesting a deal has been done. It’s all rumour, but with Brands close association with South America, there might be something in this one.

Attachments

• BB16A948-6F9F-4667-AD36-A0E0CE17A7C7.webp
    BB16A948-6F9F-4667-AD36-A0E0CE17A7C7.webp
    47.4 KB · Views: 180
Given the Silva/Brands mantra of two players for every slot and the fact that everyone is kacking it about Gana being injured I think this may be a possibility.....
Right now we'e got Gana, Morgan, Beni, McCarthy, even Davies can play DM, so not sure why we'd need another. Barrios reminds me of William Carvalho, except shorter and more violent. Not sure he's any better than what we've got and he's nowhere near the league of Gana.

You've probably got more of an idea, but going by YTube (Y, I know it gives a distorted view) it looks like he has what Gana's got, but is much better on the ball/passing.
Maybe I'm just blinkered and too eager to wish the unholy trinity a fond farewell - maybe a 10min Gana clip would look just as good
But I'd def reject the view that Gana has a spot nailed down. If nothing else, Barrios would give much needed competition to that role.
Simply put - Gana's no Reidy - and until we find another of his ilk we'll continue to fight for crumbs. Until then, the search must continue!

I'm not sure if we're looking at the same player mate?

Barrios is pretty slow. His passing is okay - definitely not incisive.

He's good at being in the right place at the right time to intercept the play and kick start a move. Other than that, meh.

This is why I don’t see a future fir gana, he can’t play the number 6 and isn’t good enough to play to more advanced role.

But the likes of @BlueToff have fallen head over heals in love with gana, because he’s top of the tackling stats

it's got nothing to do with that, he's just very good at what he does - he's certainly good enough to play a number 6, and he's a much better player than Barrios from what I've seen (a few WC games and an odd friendly etc)

Isn't that what Gomes is hopefully for?

Yeh, hopefully, but it doesn't mean we should go sign Barrios particularly unless we sold Schneiderlin and even then I'm not sure Barrios would be the type of player we'd need.

He's decent enough, but he's not exactly an all action midfielder so I don't see him fitting in with what Silva wants in midfield (energy and pressing).

Does Football manager still label players as “the next.....”?

If so we need to search for the next Michael Essien and Thierry Henry.

it's got nothing to do with that, he's just very good at what he does - he's certainly good enough to play a number 6, and he's a much better player than Barrios from what I've seen (a few WC games and an odd friendly etc)
I haven’t seen enough of Barrios to say how good he is or isn’t.

You may think he’s good enough to play the number 6 role, but does silva & Brands, as in the summer when Silva was talking about the importance of the 6 role, he never mentioned gana, but did Schneiderlin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back