Summer 2024 transfer thread.

I've had a slow day at work today (working from home) so I've had a look at the current Everton squad and what I'd potentially do if I was in charge (luckily for the club and it's fans I'm not in charge).

Sales:
Branthwaite....... £80m (£15k a week)
Onana................. £40m (£100k a week)
Calvert-Lewin... £20m (£100k a week)
Maupay.............. £5m (£50k a week)
Holgate.............. £5m (70k a week)
That gives us an income from sales of £150m and takes £17.4m a year from the wage bill (according to spotrac.com)

Released/Loan End:
Young....... £40k a week
Dele.......... £100k a week
Gomes..... £112k a week
Coleman. £55k a week
Lonergan £7.5k a week
Danjuma. £52.5k a week
Harrison.. £90k a week
That gives us £23.8m a year released from the wage bill (again from spotrac.com)

So that's a total of £150m from sales and £41m a year saved in wages which is roughly half the wage bill.

So replacing like for like we need:
4 x midfielders
2 x forwards
2 x wingers
2 x central defenders
1 x right back
1 x goalkeeper

Obviously it would mean a much busier transfer window than Everton are used to but we've been saying for years we need a complete reset and to ship out the deadwood.

None of the above suggests who we should potentially bring in and how much of the income would be available to be spent. I'm not qualified to comment on either of those points but with our current financial position we'd need to be looking at low cost players under £10m and up to £50k a week wages. I'd love to see the club stop taking risks on big money players like Dele and Beto that haven't really worked out. I'd rather see us risk younger players from lower divisions. The bar has been set extremely low by the current squad over the last few years. We just need a squad of players that can get us 38+ points a season for the next 2 or 3 years while we get to the new stadium with new owners, higher revenue, lower costs and more financial stability. Once we've got that we can look to improve the squad again and build for the future.
Forgetting the sell on clause for onana too means at 40 mill we barely get our money back

Do people think Jack Harrison is worth buying?

He plays because he might be our best option for RW but I really don't see him being worth what we pay in fee and wages and I don't think he makes the team better enough of the time.

I think the only people who think Everton should buy Jack Harrison are his mum and the fella who was sat next to his mum at the Burnley away game.

So you REALLY think we will sell 5 players, release 7 players and buy/loan 12 players? In 1 window?

200.gif
No I don't think it will happen but we can't get better players in unless we ship out the deadwood so I'd like it to happen.

We assume Onana and Branthwaite are sold and they will bring in a lot. Priority #1 has to be a striker. Priority #2 is then a CB who can replace Branthwaite as best as possible. After that a winger. While we will definitely look at bringing in a couple midfielders and a RB, as important as those positions are none of that matters if we dont address #1 and #2 which are the glaring and key issues.

We certainly should have the funds for it, but itll be down to the recruitment and while I feel we can get away with developing some players at the other positions, the striker has to be an already-proven product.

We assume Onana and Branthwaite are sold and they will bring in a lot. Priority #1 has to be a striker. Priority #2 is then a CB who can replace Branthwaite as best as possible. After that a winger. While we will definitely look at bringing in a couple midfielders and a RB, as important as those positions are none of that matters if we dont address #1 and #2 which are the glaring and key issues.

We certainly should have the funds for it, but itll be down to the recruitment and while I feel we can get away with developing some players at the other positions, the striker has to be an already-proven product.
We have 3 Strikers, it really shouldnt be a priority.

Our priority should be to replace the players we lose in the squad and then maybe, if you want, try and replace 1 of the 3 Strikers we have, but first of all 1 of them would have to leave.

If you look at this list of players :

Goalkeepers
Jordan Pickford
João Virgínia
Billy Crellin

Right Backs
Nathan Patterson

Left Backs
Vitaliy Mykolenko

Centre Backs
James Tarkowski
Michael Keane
Ben Godfrey
Mason Holgate

Midfield
James Garner
Abdoulaye Doucouré
Idrissa Gueye

Wide Forwards
Dwight McNeil
Lewis Dobbin

Strikers
Dominic Calvert-Lewin
Youssef Chermiti
Beto

And consider Striker a priority, then fair play to you.

That bit is a joke yeah? We could sell £200m worth of players and still potentially have very little to go towards new signings.