Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Everton's Transfer Window

• Good

Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s his biggest job this summer. Get rid of the players we all hate and offer absolutely nothing to the club.

Sadly I probably would get rid of Baines this summer too.

As would I. It may be a very harsh and unpopular opinion, but Baines and Jags are career failures and have been a part of a gray cloud of doom over every manager since Moyes.

Only three of them came straight from Dutch league to Prem which is my point. Plenty of them have come and flattered to deceive. Even Bony only managed to keep his form up for 2 seasons. That league is so poor that plenty of players can look good in it and then be utterly useless in England.
3 only to the Prem but all to top leagues and very widely agreed to be successful. the difference in level from the prem to the other league back then was far less and arguably the opposite

Wouldnt mind taking a chance on Jack Grealish. Seen him a few times -- only on tv mind- looks good on the ball, can play a bit and chips in with a few goals.

As would I. It may be a very harsh and unpopular opinion, but Baines and Jags are career failures and have been a part of a gray cloud of doom over every manager since Moyes.
Absolutely the opposite. They've been 2 rays of light peeking through the grey clouds of doom. Great servants to the club and neither of them would have looked too out of place if they slotted into HK's 80's sides. However time waits for no man and both are past it now.

Baines and Jagielka have been great servants to the club and have underachieved in their careers for reasons outside of their control. They were good enough to have won a trophy or two but for better luck at different times.

The FA Cup in 2009, the European run under Martinez when we should have beaten Kiev in the home leg, etc.

They were also unfortunate that they were playing when Rio Ferdinand, John Terry and Ashley Cole were also playing for England. Otherwise they'd have a lot more caps.

Truth is though that at their age they are not good value for their wages. They are both realistically only going to play about 5 games a season now barring long term injuries to other players. It's time to let them both go.

They'll have ambassadorial positions waiting for them at the club once they hang up their boots if they go on elsewhere for a short time.

Both England internationals who were first choice at a World Cup. Baines holds premier league record for assists as a defender. Both of them over 10 years spent in a top half premier league team that has played in Europe. Both could have left at various points to teams where they probably would have won trophies. Both have had careers most players could only dream of. Only the very very best play for mega clubs picking up trophies. Hardly fair to call them career failures.

Looks a quality player now though

No argument here. I'm just saying if you buy him then you're not "taking a chance on him."

Signing someone who could potentially be your record signing or at least in your top 5 most expensive signings ever is not what you'd call a punt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back