Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Everton's Transfer Window

• Good

Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t know why people are still going on about Delph a replacement for Gana. He isn’t, Silva has already stated after we signed Delph that if Gana leaves we will have to replace him.

Well, hopefully Silva is in a position to know how much money is available and where exactly it will be spent to make such a comment. But fans place too much confidence in quotes that they take far too literally.

What's happened to the Brands/Moshiri model of buying players under 26 on low wages? All our signings so far are 30 years old, and probably on high wages. It reminds me of a period when some blues genuinely thought that David Moyes didn't tell lies, and that everything he said was gospel.

Does amortisation influence FFP calculation?
If so, we could expect some contract renewals, for the young lads who have proven their worth Digne and Richarlison.

However unsure if that’s the case and it wouldn’t really generate too much of a difference with them two being from what I can gather long term players bought for relatively high fee, not Digne.

Keane, Pickford might assist a little too.

I’ve asked it before, but does anyone know where we stand with the £105m loss?

I accept we’ve got money, but think are more restricted by this ruling more than anything.

Yes, it does.

To use the Lookman example, if we say we bought him for £11m (I'm not sure if that figure included add-ons, but let's use it for the example), his contract was 4.5 years, but you call that 5 years for accounting reasons here.

£11m ÷ 5 = £2.2m

Lookman has 2 years left on his deal, so amortisation means his current value is £4.4m (£2.2m x 2)

Everything over £4.4m we sell him for is profit for FFP purposes

I'm unclear how it works when they sign a new contract tbf, if anyone knows I'd be vaguely interested

Well, hopefully Silva is in a position to know how much money is available and where exactly it will be spent to make such a comment. But fans place too much confidence in quotes that they take far too literally.

What's happened to the Brands/Moshiri model of buying players under 26 on low wages? All our signings so far are 30 years old, and probably on high wages. It reminds me of a period when some blues genuinely thought that David Moyes didn't tell lies, and that everything he said was gospel.

Mate we have signed a 25/26 year old who is quality.
A 32 year old back up goalkeeper as Pickford isn’t missing a game through choice.

And a steady 29 year old who at worst will be tidy in possession and was a low fee, will be on the average wage in comparison to the rest of the squad.
If we haven’t progressed by August 9th feel free to complain. Brands clearly has a plan and a guideline to what the model should be /: shown last season, quality signings often take longer. Not to mention we have to shift ALOT of deadwood.

You say and are implying I take quotes too far or whatever. But we have heard the whole ‘we may have to go with what we have’ over and over and over. Which was true. I think silvas been pretty open during his time, a lot more then other managers and if he says he doesn’t see Delph as Gana’s replacement I believe him.

For the record I think Delph is coming in to replace Schneiderlin/McCarthy/Besic.

If you were to swap those three out, Delph in for what would be a - net spend, lower total wage and a. Tad more quality then that would be progress.

Mate we have signed a 25/26 year old who is quality.
A 32 year old back up goalkeeper as Pickford isn’t missing a game through choice.

And a steady 29 year old who at worst will be tidy in possession and was a low fee, will be on the average wage in comparison to the rest of the squad.
If we haven’t progressed by August 9th feel free to complain. Brands clearly has a plan and a guideline to what the model should be /: shown last season, quality signings often take longer. Not to mention we have to shift ALOT of deadwood.

You say and are implying I take quotes too far or whatever. But we have heard the whole ‘we may have to go with what we have’ over and over and over. Which was true. I think silvas been pretty open during his time, a lot more then other managers and if he says he doesn’t see Delph as Gana’s replacement I believe him.

For the record I think Delph is coming in to replace Schneiderlin/McCarthy/Besic.

If you were to swap those three out, Delph in for what would be a - net spend, lower total wage and a. Tad more quality then that would be progress.

My comments weren't directly aimed at you mate. But 2 of the 3 players we have signed our basically in the 30+ bracket with Delph turning 30 in a few months time.

Silva has also said he wants another right back. Happy days if true, but it's difficult to see how we are going to obtain all these additional players with finite finances.

I said yesterday that Gueye's replacement will be based on the club's faith in Schneiderlin, or our ability to sell him. If they have faith in Schneiderlin, we will have 4 CMs fighting for two CM positions, with 3 of the 4 being on high wages.

I'll be surprised if we add a new 5th CM that is also likely to be on high wages to so that we have five CMs fighting for two positions.

If we keep Schneiderlin, I think Delph will be Gueye's replacement.

My comments weren't directly aimed at you mate. But 2 of the 3 players we have signed our basically in the 30+ bracket with Delph turning 30 in a few months time.

Silva has also said he wants another right back. Happy days if true, but it's difficult to see how we are going to obtain all these additional players with finite finances.

I said yesterday that Gueye's replacement will be based on the club's faith in Schneiderlin, or our ability to sell him. If they have faith in Schneiderlin, we will have 4 CMs fighting for two CM positions, with 3 of the 4 being on high wages.

I'll be surprised if we add a new 5th CM that is also likely to be on high wages to add a further CM to fight for two positions.

But again you are inclusing Lossl who is A. A goalkeeper and goalkeepers play for longer, and B. Is barely getting a game as he is one of the two back up goalkeepers we have.

I'll be surprised if we add a new 5th CM that is also likely to be on high wages to so that we have five CMs fighting for two positions.

Why do people keep going on that we have 'finite finances' Mosh has said on a few occasions that 'Money is not a problem for Everton' and I believe that. I also believe that after the Koeman Kash Giveaway Show we are more serious in HOW we spend our money. And in any business, if you have excess stock which is useless but costing you money, you shift it to relieve the burden. That's not 'having no money' its common business sense.

But again you are inclusing Lossl who is A. A goalkeeper and goalkeepers play for longer, and B. Is barely getting a game as he is one of the two back up goalkeepers we have.

I thought the discussion about who will be Gueye's replacement was interesting. But if you think this 'under 26 and on low wages' is anything other than wishful thinking and a snazzy soundbite, then I disagree to the point of being dismissive.

Delph won't be on modest wages, and I'll happily bet that any other first team players that we acquire won't be either.

I'm also quite confident that we won't be limiting ourselves to the aged below 26 market, as proven by our acquisition of Delph, and the fact that it's not a realistic or even desirable strategy to actually implement.

My nephew is a right back, under 26, and would accept low wages, but he's not going to interest Everton more than Thomas Meunier, who turns 28 in September and will be on a fat wedge.

Last edited:
Why do people keep going on that we have 'finite finances' Mosh has said on a few occasions that 'Money is not a problem for Everton' and I believe that. I also believe that after the Koeman Kash Giveaway Show we are more serious in HOW we spend our money. And in any business, if you have excess stock which is useless but costing you money, you shift it to relieve the burden. That's not 'having no money' its common business sense.

Come on mate. Our budget clearly is finite rather than infinite. And this is coming from someone that doesn't believe in all the scaremongering about FFP and the seldomly used soft punishments.

Our budget is limited. Of course it is.

I thought the discussion about who will be Gueye's replacement was interesting. But if you think this 'under 26 and on low wages' is anything other than wishful thinking and a snazzy soindbite, then I disagree to the point of being dismissive.

Delph won't be on modest wages, and I'll happily bet that any other first team players that we acquire won't be either.

I'm also quite confident that we won't be limiting ourselves to the aged below 26 market, as proven by our acquisition of Delph, and the fact that it's not a realistic or even desirable strategy to actually implement.

My nephew is a right back, under 26, and would accept low wages, but he's not going to interest Everton more than Thomas Meunier, who turns 28 in September and will be on a fat wedge.

Cant really disagree with most of that (I did say Delph would be on teh same wage as most of the squad). As i said earlier, Brands has clearly set in place a guideline and focus but is not limited to it.

However none of it relates to you including a 32 year old back up goalkeeper who is purely going to benchwarm for Pickford.

Come on mate. Our budget clearly is finite rather than infinite. And this is coming from someone that doesn't believe in all the scaremongering about FFP and the seldomly used soft punishments.

Only in the same way that other clubs budgets are limited. We are limited by common sense,but I'm sure that if an absolute nailed on steal was available for £50 million, we would have the money, whereas many wouldn't.

I've seen us with next to no money. With a great squad, a settled manager who needed maybe 1 or 2 players to kick us on to the next level, and seen him and his squad becoming increasingly demoralised as nobody arrived and players would have to go to make the funds. Season after season we would start slowly, in no small part as a result of this process.

At the same time, you would see, for example Manchester United negotiate hard, sell players/bring others in. On the face of it the two approaches looked similar but what went underneath them was very different.

I think we are at the latter currently. Silva seems quite happy with the process and Brands seems calm. Two summers ago we went and blitzed the window, paying what everybody wanted in terms of fees and endured a horrific season. The two aren't linked of course but it works both ways. Just because you get targets in early doesn't mean you automatically do better, particularly if you spend too much to begin with which puts undue pressure on the players.

There is also a wider trend in the market now. Prices decrease as the window goes on (which used to be the opposite). Loads of reasons for this, some due to the window closing before the season, some due to the amounts of money spent, or that inbalance between Europe and the PL in terms of funds. The end result though is that prices will continue to come down as the window goes on.

Deals will be squeezed. There's no doubt Brands is trying to do this and we have to do it. The key is when you stop squeezing and when you strike a deal. He did that every well last summer.

I should say, if all else fails the squad is ok. It's not brilliant but it's ok. As I've said I've seen us having to play under 18's because we didn't have enough players. We are ok. If we missed out on Zouma and no other defender came in, Mina and Keane can play and will do very well. You still have Holgate who has filled out and Gibson is looking quite good. We still have options.

A lot of deals will go to the wire and we will sign players at lower prices than clubs want. Thats my prediction. No way are we whacking 60 million down on Malcolm. Barca will blink. So will Juventus on Kean. No way is he not being sold this window with 12 months on a deal left.

Obviously that is correct but I suspect we’ve much more money available than some are saying.
Partly it’s just good business sense to not behave like a drunken euromillions winner, partly there’s little point in spending top dollar amounts until the current team have proven the ability to progress. Spending idiotic amounts on lots of average at best players is daft, not matter how much money you have... No one is going to forget Koeman in a hurry.
There’s also the continuing presence of Uncle Uzi.....

Only in the same way that other clubs budgets are limited. We are limited by common sense,but I'm sure that if an absolute nailed on steal was available for £50 million, we would have the money, whereas many wouldn't.

I'm more inclined to agree with you, than those that are describing us as 'skint' etc, or those that believe FFP is frightening the life out of football clubs.

But I do believe that we have a budget to stick to, and that we don't have the same budget as Manchester United, for example.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back