Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Everton's Transfer Window

• Good

Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet Modric had completely average goal and assist stats throughout his entire career yet is the finest creative mid of his generation and a ballon dor winner.

We did the stats game once before, Klaassen had x goals x assists, Siggurdson the same, also Rooney would bring x amount, add them all up and we’d get a champions league number of goals and assists. Except they couldn’t pass a ball to each other and we were heading down instead.

Put a decent striker in that team, let Bernard get a whole season fully fit, he takes a few more set pieces, then his goals and assists would be higher if that’s what’s needed to convince some luddites that he’s better than Albrighton of all people.

Modric doesn't play where Bernard does. He doesn't (and didn't) tend to operate in the final third as Bernard does.

You're absolutely right, there is more to a players game than stats, but there is no justification for Bernard starting basically every game and having such a poor return.

Especially when you consider that Hazard, Salah, Sterling, Mane, Sane, Rashford, King, Zaha, Fraser, Deulofeu, Jota, Anderson, Martial, Mahrez, Lucas, Mkhitaryan, Townsend, Redmond, Antonio, Ritchie, Willian, Iwobi, Gudmundsson, Babel, McNeil, Knockaert, Sessegnon, Perreyra, Snodgrass, Schurrle, Lingard, Lamela, Gros and March all got better returns.

That's 34 players in comparable positions across the league last season who achieved better numbers. Now you may argue that Hazard, Salah, Sterling, Mane, Sane, Rashford, Martial, Mahrez, Lucas, Mkhitaryan, Willian, Iwobi, Lingard and Lamela play with better strikers and therefore should have better numbers. Let's accept that is a fair argument.....

So what is the excuse for King, Zaha, Fraser, Deulofeu, Jota, Anderson, Townsend, Redmond, Antonio, Ritchie, Gudmundsson, Babel, McNeil, Knockaert, Sessegnon, Perreyra, Snodgrass, Schurrle, Gros and March all having better returns? Many of whom only had a third of the playing time that Bernard got last season.

Modric doesn't play where Bernard does. He doesn't (and didn't) tend to operate in the final third as Bernard does.

You're absolutely right, there is more to a players game than stats, but there is no justification for Bernard starting basically every game and having such a poor return.

Especially when you consider that Hazard, Salah, Sterling, Mane, Sane, Rashford, King, Zaha, Fraser, Deulofeu, Jota, Anderson, Martial, Mahrez, Lucas, Mkhitaryan, Townsend, Redmond, Antonio, Ritchie, Willian, Iwobi, Gudmundsson, Babel, McNeil, Knockaert, Sessegnon, Perreyra, Snodgrass, Schurrle, Lingard, Lamela, Gros and March all got better returns.

That's 34 players in comparable positions across the league last season who achieved better numbers. Now you may argue that Hazard, Salah, Sterling, Mane, Sane, Rashford, Martial, Mahrez, Lucas, Mkhitaryan, Willian, Iwobi, Lingard and Lamela play with better strikers and therefore should have better numbers. Let's accept that is a fair argument.....

So what is the excuse for King, Zaha, Fraser, Deulofeu, Jota, Anderson, Townsend, Redmond, Antonio, Ritchie, Gudmundsson, Babel, McNeil, Knockaert, Sessegnon, Perreyra, Snodgrass, Schurrle, Gros and March all having better returns? Many of whom only had a third of the playing time that Bernard got last season.
It's his first season in the Premiership you crazy man, Some players take time to adjust.
Richarlison bagged 5 in 38 games then 13 in 35 us, Bernard could have easily had 5 goals but for some reason he's a nervous wreck or got really unlucky.
People who slander Bernard should wear a badge of shame honestly him and Digne rip teams to bits on the left.

I'm just happy we're not talking about West Ham anymore. Who's up next after Leicester that we're going to be jealous of. I'm surprised Wolves haven't caused more hard on's tbh

You think Madison is better than Siggy even though he got less goals and assists this season, you opinion is now null and void. We appreciate the effort but its time for you to give up with this hypocrisy

I'm just happy we're not talking about West Ham anymore. Who's up next after Leicester that we're going to be jealous of. I'm surprised Wolves haven't caused more hard on's tbh
we had Wolves towards the end of last season, Might be Watford next.

The harsh reality is that those sorts of clubs are closer to our bracket than the top clubs are, so it's inevitable we'll get compared to them until we are finally able to break away from that mini-league of about 5 clubs who are all scrapping to be the next Top Six side

Leicester, Watford, Wolves and West Ham are decent sides who we do need to be wary off

We don't need to wet our kecks like, but we should be keeping an eye on them

But you would still have maddison over siggy?
Makes no sense at all

Maddison averaged a G/A every 203 minutes. Sigurdsson averaged a G/A every 184 minutes.

Sigurdsson had a very solid season last year and is the better player right now, however he's 30 this year. Maddison, at 22, has a much higher value and, I'd wager, will go on to be the better overall player if he's knocking out those numbers at his age.

If you recall, the conversation I originally had was that Leicester wouldn't swap X for Y, so on that basis, no I don't think they would swap a 22 year old for a 30 year old based on only a slightly lower G/A average. That's all I've said, doesn't seem all that controversial to me.

Just as Dortmund wouldn't swap Sancho for Di Maria or Gareth Bale for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back