Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Everton's Transfer Window

• Good

Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but there aren’t many like-for-like players with Gana. We’ve been linked to people like Gbamin and Sangare that aren’t as high press, Sosa, Lemina and Soumare that are more centre mids. Any of the above changes the way we set up so no, it’s not buying like-for-like to copy last season’s system.
That's just pure semantics though. We've already covered that when people are talking about a Gana type player they are just talking about someone covering the ground and doing the tackling. They just mean not another Schneiderlin type who will sit, because that wouldn't suit our tactics. It's possible to not concede lots of goals with a midfield of Gomes and Schneiderlin, but not if you play like we do. So i'll say it again. We either change how we're going to play completely (we will not do this) or we'll bring in the type of player people expect us to bring in (we will do this).

People seem to assume without Gana-type midfielder (which the vast majority of class teams don’t have) we’d never be able to defend or win games. Confusing.
I still don't understand why PSG went for him seeing as they dominate 95% of the games they play.

No, but there aren’t many like-for-like players with Gana. We’ve been linked to people like Gbamin and Sangare that aren’t as high press, Sosa, Lemina and Soumare that are more centre mids. Any of the above changes the way we set up so no, it’s not buying like-for-like to copy last season’s system.
Lets not pretend Gueye is the greatest player to ever play for Everton. He was good at what he did and had a great engine and attitude but there was a reason his tackle and interception stats were so good and that was because he was a major part in our inability to keep possession. The anfield derby last season when we played so well he was the worst player on the pitch. As I say, great servant and good player but certainly not irreplaceable

Lets not pretend Gueye is the greatest player to ever play for Everton. He was good at what he did and had a great engine and attitude but there was a reason his tackle and interception stats were so good and that was because he was a major part in our inability to keep possession. The anfield derby last season when we played so well he was the worst player on the pitch. As I say, great servant and good player but certainly not irreplaceable

Never called him irreplaceable he just has a very specific skill set and I think in the end we’ll be better without him.

Gana, Kante, Ndidi, Lucas Leiva, Ascacibar. There aren’t many proper destroyers anymore and I don’t want us to think we have to go after one. I want a big powerhouse centre mid personally.

Agree. Common negotiating tactic to walk away and say you are done in expectation that the seller comes back with a new demand that leads to the final deal.

Yep. And wouldn’t lash a £55m bid for a player if you haven’t had encouragement from him and his agent that he would come. Reckon personal terms and that will be agreed already (on the quiet though)

CBC1-E431-DC53-4097-A356-313217-F66869.jpg

Yep. And wouldn’t lash a £55m bid for a player if you haven’t had encouragement from him and his agent that he would come. Reckon personal terms and that will be agreed already (on the quiet though)

Maybe that explains the very strange statement we made, maybe we got rumbled!!!!

With us already serving a ban and the whole Silva thing we clearly dont wanna give the impression that we are utter cowboys, you know, like the other 4747474747 clubs in world football, I mean we are defo cowboys, but still.

Not seen a single shrewd judge say he was worth keeping. Well done again Marcel.

Indeed. He looks a good footballer. But in the way that most professional footballers are good at football. Even League 2 players are good at football. Otherwise we’d all be doing it.

Not quite good enough for us I’m afraid. But he’ll have a decent career I’m sure.

Never called him irreplaceable he just has a very specific skill set and I think in the end we’ll be better without him.

Gana, Kante, Ndidi, Lucas Leiva, Ascacibar. There aren’t many proper destroyers anymore and I don’t want us to think we have to go after one. I want a big powerhouse centre mid personally.
Sorry I misinterpreted your comment in that case. I am quite happy with a defensive midfielder who fills in holes and plays positionally. Gueye is all action but he's not the cleverest of midfielders. I would take a prime Lee Carsley over a prime gueye any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back