Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For reference, Malcom was MUCH more creative than Traore - even in their best seasons last year. I wonder what we could do on offense with Malcom on the right and a goal scorer like Richarlison on the left. It would be interesting.

For reference, Malcom was MUCH more creative than Traore - even in their best seasons last year. I wonder what we could do on offense with Malcom on the right and a goal scorer like Richarlison on the left. It would be interesting.

Malcom is quality and Traore is totally predictable.

Thats the difference...surely we wont be signing him.

Not sure what your point is. He's a year and a half younger than Depay.

Depay is a fascinating study in statistical analysis if there are any stat heads here bored. Just his xG and xA numbers are mind boggling vs his actual goals and assists. If there is any player to completely refute those concepts, he's an early exhibit.

I wonder what it would take to pry him out of there and have him play CF for us. I think he would fit rather well honestly.

My point would be it’s a little foolhearty to make a judgement concretely on a player at 23. That’s our market players with head room for improvement, not ones you can pick out with an XG or XA tool, that’s just silly.

XG and XA are flawed stats, they indicate probability, but looking at them in isolation is flawed as they don’t take account of context. Depay is a good player mind, I’d question his mentality myself.

Traore did well in Holland and represented Ajax in a European final amongst the gems we know were there, outscoring Neres, Kluivert, Ziyech and a good few others lads cream themselves on here about.

He’s 3 years younger then Ziyech.

It’s good company to be successful in, but in general I think it’s ridiculous making a judgement on a 23 year old. At that age you backing your scouting judgement on potential and headroom to improve. May as well sign an established 28/29 year old if you want the finished article.

My point would be it’s a little foolhearty to make a judgement concretely on a player at 23. That’s our market players with head room for improvement, not ones you can pick out with an XG or XA tool, that’s just silly.

XG and XA are flawed stats, they indicate probability, but looking at them in isolation is flawed. Depay is a good player kind, I’d question his mentality myself.

The lad did well in Holland and represented Ajax in a European final amongst the gems we know were there, outscoring Neres, Kluivert, Ziyech and a good few others lads cream themselves on here about.

He’s 3 years younger then Ziyech.

It’s good company to be successful in, but in general I think it’s ridiculous making a judgement on a 23 year old. At that age you backing your scouting judgement on potential and headroom to improve. May as well sign an established 28/29 year old if you want the finished article.
To be fair, I wasn't making a judgement on the stats, I was simply citing what they said. However, he's 23, will be 24 in September. He's not THAT young. If he was getting better, I would understand, but there's quite a bit of evidence to suggest he's not.

Neres is also a year and a half younger than Traore, so that needs to be considered.

I like the player, I think he fits the tactics, I think his right foot is underrated, I think he can actually serve a ball a bit but that's not the way Lyon plays, unless Dembele is in there. But Traore isn't as talented as say Malcom. Malcom has the chance to be special, Traore would be a terrific squad player and depending on how he trained, a spot starter. But that's also why Malcom went for 42M last year and Traore didn't.

If we can land Malcom for 25/30M vs. Traore for 20/25M, to me, that's a no-brainer. Malcom all the way.

To be fair, I wasn't making a judgement on the stats, I was simply citing what they said. However, he's 23, will be 24 in September. He's not THAT young. If he was getting better, I would understand, but there's quite a bit of evidence to suggest he's not.

Neres is also a year and a half younger than Traore, so that needs to be considered.

I like the player, I think he fits the tactics, I think his right foot is underrated, I think he can actually serve a ball a bit but that's not the way Lyon plays, unless Dembele is in there. But Traore isn't as talented as say Malcom. Malcom has the chance to be special, Traore would be a terrific squad player and depending on how he trained, a spot starter. But that's also why Malcom went for 42M last year and Traore didn't.

If we can land Malcom for 25/30M vs. Traore for 20/25M, to me, that's a no-brainer. Malcom all the way.

Both are utter pony.

All good mate, I use XG, XA, XCS a fair bit in some of the Fantasy stuff I do, it’s a indicator stat but far from the one stat to rule them all. It doesn’t include context, variables, changes of system, position, injuries etc. If Aguero or Kane moved to Huddersfield tomorrow there XG and XA drops significantly, doesn’t mean either aren’t world class players.

23 is very young in my opinion, just look at the lads who won the double this year some we would be hoping to progress to the first team and develop and this lad has just come to that age, done the business in a couple of foreign leagues and represented Ajax in a European final as the star young player in a squad brimming with them. Loads of room also to improve Salah left Chelsea at around the same age and look at him now.

I haven’t watched either that significantly bar approx 10 games each, certainly not enough to debate who the best would be in ten years time. Both have had a similar trajectory, big moves and probably a step back to take a step forward.

I’ve decided based on our signings last year not to stress really, we signed very good players delighted with them all, so I have a lot of trust in Silva and Brands so not going to spend the summer stressing, we are in competent hands I’ll back the player they deem worthy. But I’d back them to improve that player to.

I do think we have to be open minded though, take last year, Digne was probably the canniest buy, but probably the one with the least fanfare and expectation. He would have low XG and XA numbers too!!!

Last edited:
All good mate, I use XG, XA, XCS a fair bit in some of the Fantasy stuff I do, it’s a indicator stat but far from the one stat to rule them all. It doesn’t include context, variables, changes of system, position, injuries etc. If Aguero or Kane moved to Huddersfield tomorrow there XG and XA drops significantly, doesn’t mean either aren’t world class players.

23 is very young in my opinion, just look at the lads who won the double this year some we would be hoping to progress to the first team and develop and this lad has just come to that age, done the business in a couple of foreign leagues and represented Ajax in a European final as the star young player in a squad brimming with them. Loads of room also to improve Salah left Chelsea at around the same age and look at him now.

I haven’t watched either that significantly bar approx 10 games each, certainly not enough to debate who the best would be in ten years time. Both have had a similar trajectory, big moves and probably a step back to take a step forward.

I’ve decided based on our signings last year not to stress really, we signed very good players delighted with them all, so I have a lot of trust in Silva and Brands so not going to spend the summer stressing, we are in competent hands I’ll back the player they deem worthy. But back themselves to improve that player to.

I do think we have to be open minded though, take last year, Digne was probably the canniest buy, but probably the one with the least fanfare and expectation. He would have low XG and XA numbers too!!!
I am with you. Stats are useful in many ways, but especially with younger players, you have to watch them to understand context and have to also understand what tactics you would be placing them into. Beyond that, there are so many personality aspects that we'll never have any insight into.

That being said, how many great players weren't great at 23? There's a bunch of CFs and CBs, but there aren't too many in other positions I don't think. How many appeared to be regressing? Again, you are right, context is so important.

Digne to me was almost a sure thing. So well rounded, fantastic at Roma, a complete phenom before.

I am with you. Stats are useful in many ways, but especially with younger players, you have to watch them to understand context and have to also understand what tactics you would be placing them into. Beyond that, there are so many personality aspects that we'll never have any insight into.

That being said, how many great players weren't great at 23? There's a bunch of CFs and CBs, but there aren't too many in other positions I don't think. How many appeared to be regressing? Again, you are right, context is so important.

Digne to me was almost a sure thing. So well rounded, fantastic at Roma, a complete phenom before.

There are loads really, I mentioned Salah, KDB, Pogba argueably are in there to. Depay as well. What I am hinting at is the CL clubs are in an arms race to sign young players. Often these days and with the life cycle of managers, the DOF signs these players and the manager who is tasked with instant success, don’t have the time to put in a Hudson Odai or Sancho allowing the player to get frustrated, moves, takes a step back before going onto take a step forward and hitting gold, it’s a growing trend, perhaps even a back lash. Strategically it’s quite obvious the Bundesleage is trying to cultivate and corner this very market.

This could mean and probably does mean, there is a Salah or KDB, dare I say Lukaku who just needs that foundation to play, to realize their gifts and progress and develop. Traore, Malcom and a Depay are on that journey, Thomas Lemar jumps out too. There are likely countless others.

It really is a ripe area and one we should cultivate, look at Digne and Gomes, they were essentially no marks elsewhere and they were senior players. I’m utterly convinced there are generations of players like a Salah, Lukaku, KDB that made a move to a big club, didn’t get an opportunity, was sold on and who will turn out to be gold.

I honestly believe no one knew just what a player Digne was, I’m not sure even anyone in football did or else he wouldn’t be here.

Last edited:

There are loads really, I mentioned Salah, KDB, Pogba argueably are in there to. Depay as well. What I am hinting at is the CL clubs are in an arms race to sign young players. Often these days and with the life cycle of managers, the DOF signs these players and the manager who is tasked with instant success, don’t have the time to put in a Hudson Odai or Sancho allowing the player to get frustrated, moves, takes a step back before going onto take a step forward and hitting gold, it’s a growing trend, perhaps even a back lash. Strategically it’s quite obvious the Bundesleage is trying to cultivate and corner this very market.

This could mean and probably does mean, there is a Salah or KDB, dare I say Lukaku who just needs that foundation to play, to realize their gifts and progress and develop. Traore, Malcom and a Depay are on that journey, Thomas Lemar jumps out too. There are likely countless others.

It really is a ripe area and one we should cultivate, look at Digne and Gomes, they were essentially no marks elsewhere and they were senior players. I’m utterly convinced there are generations of players like a Salah, Lukaku, KDB that made a move to a big club, didn’t get an opportunity, was sold on and who will turn out to be gold.

I honestly believe no one knew just what a player Digne was, I’m not sure even anyone in football did or else he wouldn’t be here.
Digne was a complete prodigy tho. He was massively hyped at one point.

I thought Salah was playing for Roma at age 22 and doing well, no? DeBruyne was playing really well much earlier at Brennan. But so was Traore I guess. But again, I like the player.

WHAT haha all he can do is defend; he's a proper Hibbert. Needs attacking football in an easier league.

No mate , he has been targeted many a time and been exposed badly when he’s played . His crossing is better than Coleman’s it’s his rash decision making , positioning and committing himself to tackles he can’t win that’s the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.