Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Everton's Transfer Window

• Good

Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive started to come round to @Zatara’s way of thinking. £30m for Gana. £20m odd to Rabiot and his agent, the rest to help cover the difference in his wages. Instant upgrade.

I just don’t know what impact this sort of deal would have with the rest of the squad and with our transfers and the transfer market in general.

Ive started to come round to @Zatara’s way of thinking. £30m for Gana. £20m odd to Rabiot and his agent, the rest to help cover the difference in his wages. Instant upgrade.

I just don’t know what impact this sort of deal would have with the rest of the squad and with our transfers and the transfer market in general.
I am unsure that would be enough for him... and yes I agree on the impact it would have on the rest of our transfers and wages

30mil for Gana is a poor deal for us, he was and still is one of our best players; who has a good few seasons left of performing to the highest level. To replace him would cost double that and that would be on a player that we would then be gambling on to hope he fit into the team. Why sell a player that consistently performs to the highest level just because he is 30?

People act like turning 30 makes him crocked. The fact that it’s Manchester United and PSG that are after him tells you everything you need to know. If there was a readily available better replacement, then United and PSG would just go for them instead.

We will struggle if we needlessly sell Gueye this summer, and I will be particularly miffed if we bend over and hand our best player over to Manchester United once again, especially with them becoming an awful midtable outfit. It will be so annoying if we struggle once again next season, and people highlight the sale of Gueye as being a key contributor, only for people to respond “Yeah, but he was 30 years old. We absolutely had to sell”. We don’t, and we shouldn’t.

It also gives you an indication of the boards priority if he is sold as well. Selling your best player just to get a few extra million when the league is awash with money. There has been no change at board level at all if we sell Gueye this summer.

Given it is Tottenham or us he would go there if they can afford him.
They seem more keen on him than we are and he is going to cost a fair bit as it's not long since he moved to Betis from PSG. I wonder if some of it is that a number of the players we have been linked with so far this summer are former PSG youth team and it's just an easy connection to make or is it part of a clear transfer strategy to bring in good young players who have played together before.

People act like turning 30 makes him crocked. The fact that it’s Manchester United and PSG that are after him tells you everything you need to know. If there was a readily available better replacement, then United and PSG would just go for them instead.

We will struggle if we needlessly sell Gueye this summer, and I will be particularly miffed if we bend over and hand our best player over to Manchester United once again, especially with them becoming an awful midtable outfit. It will be so annoying if we struggle once again next season, and people highlight the sale of Gueye as being a key contributor, only for people to respond “Yeah, but he was 30 years old. We absolutely had to sell”. We don’t, and we shouldn’t.

It also gives you an indication of the boards priority if he is sold as well. Selling your best player just to get a few extra million when the league is awash with money. There has been no change at board level at all if we sell Gueye this summer.
esp selling him BEFORE weve signed our replacement. weve all seen how that ends time after time

I agree with you, we need to stop selling to the top 6 teams if we ever want to hope of competing with them and trying to surpass them. Honestly when we sold Stones and Lukaku away to the Manchester's I was furious. We gave them two of our best players to the top teams, they kept getting better as we struggled. If we ever want to compete and try to claw our way into a top four position we can't keep selling our best guys to them.

I am unsure that would be enough for him... and yes I agree on the impact it would have on the rest of our transfers and wages

I’ve said before that I think the whole transfer market will implode in the not too distant future.

Opposing clubs and agents will encourage players to see out their contracts and put themselves on the free market. Why pay Everton £100m for Richarlison when in a few years they can give the player £25m. Juventus got Ramsey for £8m this summer, we got Bernard for £10m apparently. I can see contracts being ran down becoming the norm.

30mil for Gana is a poor deal for us, he was and still is one of our best players; who has a good few seasons left of performing to the highest level. To replace him would cost double that and that would be on a player that we would then be gambling on to hope he fit into the team. Why sell a player that consistently performs to the highest level just because he is 30?

It won't cost double that to replace him. That's just a lazy rhetoric that is continually spouted.

He's a prime example that players can be found when you have the right people looking in the right places. £7m was a 'waste of money' when we picked him up from relegated Aston Villa. However that fee has proven to be a bargain. As have many, many other lower priced signings.

I’ve said before that I think the whole transfer market will implode in the not too distant future.

Opposing clubs and agents will encourage players to see out their contracts and put themselves on the free market. Why pay Everton £100m for Richarlison when in a few years they can give the player £25m. Juventus got Ramsey for £8m this summer, we got Bernard for £10m apparently. I can see contracts being ran down becoming the norm.
Interesting thought, I can definitely see this happening. No more of the 200+ Million for a young player like Mbappe when they can get them for much cheaper on the free.

Good point. There’s so much money in the premiership that teams should have to pay at least double a payers worth for a team to sell their best players. £40m?

Just disagree with this. Gana isn't a bad player, but he is limited. He's world class at winning the ball back, but he's at best average with the ball. There's an argument to say that if we could get someone who's 75% as good as Gana at winning the ball back, but good with the ball, we might be better for it.

There's also the aspect that I think we need to start appreciating that our finances aren't infinite - if we can make a big profit on a 30 year old player, we should do it and invest that in a younger player who will be here longer. Otherwise it's dead money.

And lastly, possibly more of a stretch, I think generally we need to start getting less attached to individual players. If we trust that we have the right DoF and the right recruitment strategy in place, players will come and go and we will have to trust that when we sell someone, we do it because we are confident we can replace them.

I like Gana a lot, but to say that selling him would mean there's been no change at board level is nonsensical to me - if anything it would indicate that we are finally trying to be clever about buying and selling players rather than letting short term-ism dominate our thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back