Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pardon my naive question - when someone refers to an embargo, what exactly happens? The media know about the story but don't report it?

It's weird, but basically it's a traditional (mainly British press) thing.

So often press conferences either pre or post-match, or a media event, or a game (mixed zone where the players/managers are interviewed by several reporters at once), there will be a section that is 'embargoed'.

Sometimes the embargo is set by the club/organisation, and sometimes by the reporters who decide between themselves, representing their respective papers/sites/TV stations, as and when a piece of news will go out.

This is mainly for the morning papers, and now with online being the main factor for papers, that info/story will usually come out at 22:30 the night before - hence, the '22:30 embargoes'. It means that quotes can be held back and used for other stories without having to conduct another interview.

It's also a very archaic way of doing things, but breaking an embargo is considered really serious and in some instances has led to reporters/organisations being taken to court (yeh, really).

At the end of the day, it's all about getting as much content as possible out of the limited access the press have.

There was a really good article a few months back by an American journo who basically was baffled by the concept but also intrigued. For the life of me, I can't remember where it's from, now!

So often press conferences either pre or post-match, or a media event, or a game (mixed zone where the players/managers are interviewed by several reporters at once), there will be a section that is 'embargoed'.

Sometimes the embargo is set by the club/organisation, and sometimes by the reporters who decide between themselves, representing their respective papers/sites/TV stations, as and when a piece of news will go out.

This is mainly for the morning papers, and now with online being the main factor for papers, that info/story will usually come out at 22:30 the night before - hence, the '22:30 embargoes'. It means that quotes can be held back and used for other stories without having to conduct another interview.

It's also a very archaic way of doing things, but breaking an embargo is considered really serious and in some instances has led to reporters/organisations being taken to court (yeh, really).

At the end of the day, it's all about getting as much content as possible out of the limited access the press have.

There was a really good article a few months back by an American journo who basically was baffled by the concept but also intrigued. For the life of me, I can't remember where it's from, now!
What a concise ppst
Thanks

Here

Here's potentially that article or at least similar
Its an insightful read for any American like myself, who is so used to how the American media gets to bombard our athletes after games and such.

Still think the Zaha rumors are absurd.

Im holding on to The Echo saying we had no interest.

Ive spent the last few days watching vids, hes very Bolasie for me, but so much more effective. He would entertain, but he seems a tad inconsistent and his end product is very hit and miss.

In short I can see the attraction, but I would weep if we lashed 80m on him.

The Viking cost us 45m, granted a few years back, I love him, but we overpaid, 80m for this fella would be a crime.

I reckon Brands has the same business model as Levy at Spurs. Will only pay what he thinks is right and happy to wait until that price is on the table, if not, he'll walk away which is fair.

To be fair to levy he finds a price he likes and then adds or subtracts 30% depending if he’s selling or buying and then gets that price instead. I honestly can’t think of a club that get better value than spurs. Then take into account that all their players are on 70% of what they would be getting somewhere else and you can’t help but be impressed

See Jordan Ayew has joined Palace on a perm deal, this means two things

1. Not in for Naisse
2. Zaha set to leave

Or am I miles off?
Miles and Miles.
is Niasse the sweetener in the Zaha deal??
That would be epic.
Is one word for it certainly.
I'd say you're spot on. Well I would if it wasn't for the fact that I forgot Ayew was there last l season.

Seems that Sportsmole follow GOT....except they are using Cenk instead of Naisse

Everton offer £60m plus Cenk Tosun for Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha?
By Darren Plant, Senior Reporter | 31m

Status
Not open for further replies.