Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant believe some people dont believe Maguire would be an asset in our defence.

He may would do, but we can't afford those sky high, top 6 wages on our revenue, doesn't ffp and wage and sustainability say anything to you. Plus he's definitely not the shining star he was and next to Tarkowski we would be very slow at the back. We can't afford him. I think we need another centre back because Keane and Godfey aren't good enough either.

I don't think the Maguire move will happen unless the boy is willing to take a massive pay cut for the love of playing the game. Would have him here if we could make it work in a financially sensible way, though (which we can't, so we won't).

I think Maguire is a victim of the way social media has gone tbh.

He's one of the best players aerially in the division, he's very good with the ball at his feet, he's essentially a good defender. Worth remembering that Liverpool wanted him at one point before he went to United (by Klopp's own admission).

He isn't quick though and playing in a high line like the one United play exposes his weaknesses. If you play him in a deeper line and don't expose him in the channels too much (i.e. not having your full backs playing like wing backs and making sure your wide players track back), you minimise the chances of him being exposed. For a manager like Dyche I could see Maguire being excellent because we'd probably play to his strengths.

Thing is though, Maguire has become a meme because he has a big, block-shaped head and Ten Hag's system has really brought out his flaws. He hasn't become a bad player, he's a good player playing in a system that's all wrong for him.

I'd have him like a shot if it weren't for the massive finances which go along with him - he'd need to cut what he earns in half before it became a deal worth considering.

I honestly don’t get why we don’t go all out for Lukaku. It would seem the whole Inter/Juventus transfer merry go round is becoming a problem for Chelsea as it’s swop with Vhalovic and also pay Juventus 30m.

I’m if I’m Everton I’m defo making an enquiry here. He arguably played his best football here, he is desperate to leave Chelsea, we were about to spend 30m on an unknown striker, why don’t we approach Chelsea with a loan and obligation to buy next year. Or give them an offer with loads of add on’s. Imagine Danjuma, Lukaku, Sulumana. I get Lukaku could say not a chance but why not at least have a go.
Mbappe wants out too. Imagine those two with Myko lumping in crosses and Gana misplacing through balls.....

Dunno. We'll maybe find out more after the Lisbon game. Suspect he may be given a short runout there. My best guess, though, would be Danjuma starts up front against Fulham. Hope not
I think he is fit just not being rushed back
He will start at Fulham I have said all summer and I stick by that (unless breaks down v Lisbon)

That's not correct
If you sit deep and hit teams on the counter you can get away with slow defenders like Maguire. What you need are fast players in transition , like midfield and particularly forwards
So the fact that Maguire is about as slow as Keane to think about where to pass a ball won't make any difference? It's not so bad to be physically slow but you need defenders with good football brains...that's not Maguire.

Last edited:
F
Dunno. We'll maybe find out more after the Lisbon game. Suspect he may be given a short runout there. My best guess, though, would be Danjuma starts up front against Fulham. Hope not

I think he is fit just not being rushed back
He will start at Fulham I have said all summer and I stick by that (unless breaks down v Lisbon)
Fingers crossed. I have said the opposite all summer but I hope you're right

I think Maguire is a victim of the way social media has gone tbh.

He's one of the best players aerially in the division, he's very good with the ball at his feet, he's essentially a good defender. Worth remembering that Liverpool wanted him at one point before he went to United (by Klopp's own admission).

He isn't quick though and playing in a high line like the one United play exposes his weaknesses. If you play him in a deeper line and don't expose him in the channels too much (i.e. not having your full backs playing like wing backs and making sure your wide players track back), you minimise the chances of him being exposed. For a manager like Dyche I could see Maguire being excellent because we'd probably play to his strengths.

Thing is though, Maguire has become a meme because he has a big, block-shaped head and Ten Hag's system has really brought out his flaws. He hasn't become a bad player, he's a good player playing in a system that's all wrong for him.

I'd have him like a shot if it weren't for the massive finances which go along with him - he'd need to cut what he earns in half before it became a deal worth considering.
Klopp wanted Gbamin as their new centre back superstar to take over from Virgils Knee. We have a world beater on the books already but just refuse to play him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back