Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
And getting a feel for their motivations. This has always been our failing. Not bad on paper but really playing at 60% once they sign the contract at us.
This doesn't happen that often we just convince ourselves it does so we don't have to reckon with how bad the club is at identifying talent

There is an argument for basing a player profile off statistics and fitting that into a team based off them. For example I need player A who can do this which will result in Player B doing that etc. Even that never seems to take into account opponents and a whole raft of different scenarios but generic attributes etc I can see.

Assuming someone will be good just because they score or assist or "win more aerial duals" somewhere else is risky.
The team is the sum of the parts. A manager moulds a team. A team requires different skills to compliment each other which is a greater skill than cobbling a team based on stats alone.

So to recap if as expected Gray, Maupay, Holgate and Simms leave and there is no future for Gomes & Gbamin:

#we need a goalie depending on the futures of Virgina and Lonergan

#we need a left back and I would say another centre back if 3 would ultimately leave

#we need a replacement for Davies. Depending on the futures of Dele and Warrington

#we need a stand in for DCL (Weghorst type), an attacker who play across the forward line (both Piroe and Rodrigo both recently played on the right or down the middle) and an out and out winger (Gnono, Harrison, Danjuma or Summerville ?)

Work to do Blues

At the end of last season I thought about this. I think this could be the season we go down. There’s so much to do to get us up to becoming a threat, we’re weaker defensively and the small squad depth we had is only getting weaker. Obviously we don’t know but the early reports of targets not wanting to come to us doesn’t bode well. If it’s true it’s not even like we’ve been linked with quality players who don’t want to come to us

Idk if they would have done that with Klaassen because Donny van de Beek was literally the same player and someone went and spent big on him too. Sometimes players look good and aren't. It has to be a wholistic approach. Every tool has use.

I'm too young so I'm genuinely asking: were there really no bad transfers in the 80s and 90s?

Van de Beek clearly wasn’t scouted properly either, he’s been terrible since he came into the Premier League and can’t adapt to the pace of it at all.

Of course there were signings that didn’t work out. But I can’t think of a team in the history of this league that’s spent money as badly as us for as long a period of time. It’s genuinely a miracle how we’re still in the league. Put it this way, over the course of Moyes’ time at the club in the 00’s we probably made about 3 genuinely terrible signings that either didn’t contribute anything or we didn’t claw any money back on. We signed loads of youth players that didn’t amount to anything but that’s not what I’m talking about.

The big money howler transfers seem to have become commonplace since around the early 10’s, Spurs with the Bale money is the first example I can really think of of a team just scattergunning a huge wad of cash around on players they thought looked good on paper.

Van de Beek clearly wasn’t scouted properly either, he’s been terrible since he came into the Premier League and can’t adapt to the pace of it at all.

Of course there were signings that didn’t work out. But I can’t think of a team in the history of this league that’s spent money as badly as us for as long a period of time. It’s genuinely a miracle how we’re still in the league. Put it this way, over the course of Moyes’ time at the club in the 00’s we probably made about 3 genuinely terrible signings that either didn’t contribute anything or we didn’t claw any money back on. We signed loads of youth players that didn’t amount to anything but that’s not what I’m talking about.

The big money howler transfers seem to have become commonplace since around the early 10’s, Spurs with the Bale money is the first example I can really think of of a team just scattergunning a huge wad of cash around on players they thought looked good on paper.
Wait a minute 'scout' already exists?!

Didn't the RS have a bunch of horrors in the early 2000s?

I think it's also worth remembering aside from a few teams there wasn't the same amount of money to burn back in the day.

Didn't the RS have a bunch of horrors in the early 2000s?

I think it's also worth remembering aside from a few teams there wasn't the same amount of money to burn back in the day.

Liverpool did have a period of buying a few flops for big money, Robbie Keane and Aquilani etc. Bad signings did happen, but not on the scale we’ve seen at Everton since Moshiri has come in. It feels to me like he has absolutely no clue what is required in any given department of the club, don’t we only employ about 4 scouts or something? Clearly we think we can get by buying players based on numbers without watching having to pay an employee to watch them, which is the point I’m trying to make.

I saw loads of new pages in this thread and was excited that we might have some solid links to someone. But no. Loads of dark blue boxes and people talking about the value of stats so I'm assuming that Big Ig has decided to frot himself rotten about xQ, xR, xS or whatever and work himself into a lather about nobody telling him what a prescient genius he is?

It's hard enough being a bluenose at the moment without the contribution of some of our "characters".

Liverpool did have a period of buying a few flops for big money, Robbie Keane and Aquilani etc. Bad signings did happen, but not on the scale we’ve seen at Everton since Moshiri has come in. It feels to me like he has absolutely no clue what is required in any given department of the club, don’t we only employ about 4 scouts or something? Clearly we think we can get by buying players based on numbers without watching having to pay watch them, which is the point I’m trying to make.
Personally I don't think we base it on numbers. The scouting is bad too. The whole system is a mess. There's just no distinct pattern to me that says we look at data and by players based on anything specific. Doucoure for example is a player you just can't ever spend 25m on if you're doing any kind of analytical work beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back