Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of last season I thought about this. I think this could be the season we go down. There’s so much to do to get us up to becoming a threat, we’re weaker defensively and the small squad depth we had is only getting weaker. Obviously we don’t know but the early reports of targets not wanting to come to us doesn’t bode well. If it’s true it’s not even like we’ve been linked with quality players who don’t want to come to us
Remember apart from maybe Mina none of our best 11 have left. And the problem has very much been the quality of our bench. Also assuming the players leave that I mention (as Dyche doesn't rate them), we HAVE to sign players. Otherwise we have less than 20 players lol

Van de Beek clearly wasn’t scouted properly either, he’s been terrible since he came into the Premier League and can’t adapt to the pace of it at all.

Of course there were signings that didn’t work out. But I can’t think of a team in the history of this league that’s spent money as badly as us for as long a period of time. It’s genuinely a miracle how we’re still in the league. Put it this way, over the course of Moyes’ time at the club in the 00’s we probably made about 3 genuinely terrible signings that either didn’t contribute anything or we didn’t claw any money back on. We signed loads of youth players that didn’t amount to anything but that’s not what I’m talking about.

The big money howler transfers seem to have become commonplace since around the early 10’s, Spurs with the Bale money is the first example I can really think of of a team just scattergunning a huge wad of cash around on players they thought looked good on paper.
Moyes had way more than just 3 terrible signings. Here is the worst.. there's plenty of others he signed who never even kicked a ball for us.
Richard Wright
Rodrigo
Silva
Spencer
Davies
Koldrup
Jutkiewicz
Mustafi
Gueye
Junior

Probably mentioned pages back but Forest signing Iheanacho for 8m stings a bit for me.

Relatively proven premier league striker still in his mid 20s and has profile to play upfront on his own.

If Forest stay calm and don't sack Cooper after about 5 games they should have a pretty comfortable mid table season as they have decent attackers in final third now with him, Johnson, MGW and Awoniyi.

Probably mentioned pages back but Forest signing Iheanacho for 8m stings a bit for me.

Relatively proven premier league striker still in his mid 20s and has profile to play upfront on his own.

If Forest stay calm and don't sack Cooper after about 5 games they should have a pretty comfortable mid table season as they have decent attackers in final third now with him, Johnson, MGW and Awoniyi.
Was on huge wages at Leicester though, way more than what we could have paid. Forest must be needing to sell a few players soon surely?

Was on huge wages at Leicester though, way more than what we could have paid. Forest must be needing to sell a few players soon surely?

Interestingly Brennan Johnson keeps getting linked with a move away, that would be a big call for Forest to cash in when him and Gibbs White is critical to their counter attack and he did get 8 league goals so someone who should be pushing into 10-15 category.

They've signed Chris Wood aswell which dosen't look a great signing with his age and lack of mobility but guess he'll just be a sub striker.

It's getting more and more difficult to pick out clubs you'd be confident of finishing above next season. Fulham are losing some key first team players like Willian so they'll drop a few places and Wolves are selling anything that moves and is under 30 currently so they'll be right down there again but looks like next season is primarily hoping the three promoted teams all struggle to get 38-40 points which is a gamble based on how the promoted teams did last season.

Van de Beek clearly wasn’t scouted properly either, he’s been terrible since he came into the Premier League and can’t adapt to the pace of it at all.

Of course there were signings that didn’t work out. But I can’t think of a team in the history of this league that’s spent money as badly as us for as long a period of time. It’s genuinely a miracle how we’re still in the league. Put it this way, over the course of Moyes’ time at the club in the 00’s we probably made about 3 genuinely terrible signings that either didn’t contribute anything or we didn’t claw any money back on. We signed loads of youth players that didn’t amount to anything but that’s not what I’m talking about.

The big money howler transfers seem to have become commonplace since around the early 10’s, Spurs with the Bale money is the first example I can really think of of a team just scattergunning a huge wad of cash around on players they thought looked good on paper.
Idk if they would have done that with Klaassen because Donny van de Beek was literally the same player and someone went and spent big on him too. Sometimes players look good and aren't. It has to be a wholistic approach. Every tool has use.

I'm too young so I'm genuinely asking: were there really no bad transfers in the 80s and 90s?
Ther have always been big money flops. We broke the transfer record in 88 on Tony cottee. In fact, we have rarely spent big money and been successful with it. Kanchelskis, Yakubu and lukaku are the only ones I can think of.

Ther have always been big money flops. We broke the transfer record in 88 on Tony cottee. In fact, we have rarely spent big money and been successful with it. Kanchelskis, Yakubu and lukaku are the only ones I can think of.
Depends how far you go back. Alan Ball and Bob Latchford were big money signings too and turned out ok

Tony Cottee wasn’t a flop at all. Fellaini is another one we bought for big money who was a success. We rarely ever spent “big” under Moyes, but what little we did spend we mostly did very well out of it.

Worst Moyes signings that cost a significant amount were Kroldrup, Bilyaletdinov and Beattie.

I’d add Pickford to that list as well. We paid big money for Duncan Ferguson in 1994, which I think was money well spent.

Amo was big money too, and has to be considered a flop despite his epic semifinal appearance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back