Summer transfer window 2023

That might be the most disillusionment in 1 day I've ever experienced following this team.

Selling players is fine, but the decision not to reinvest speaks volumes.

If the ownership of the club is not even committed to improving the side, then there is no hope. And if there is no hope, then its not even football anymore.

Not sure where we go next.
keep the faith!
The harsh reality is recruitment in recent years has been abysmal and it was always going to take a few tough transfer windows to even attempt to point the ship in the right direction.

Can’t just keep pumping money into players when we aren’t in a position to.

This window has been massively successful in getting rid of a lot of dead wood on big wages. While also managing to strengthen the team somehow - it’s a decent outcome based on where we are financially. Avoiding Adams, overpaying for Gnotto etc. all wise choices too.

We’ll be ok this season, and look back at this window as being a success from a business point of view… I think. Lol

Very disappointing end to what was turning out to be a decent window for us. Beto will probably play the biggest part in keeping us up this season.

It is sad that as a club though the highlights of the past 2 or 3 windows has been the good job that has been done to clear out the deadwood of the squad, we’ve genuinely done very well to sell or just get rid of a lot of these useless players. The problem is we bought them in the first place.

Getting rid of Davies, Mina, Townsend, Holgate, Gbamin, Maupay and Iwobi, probably as well shipping Gray and Gomes to Saudi in the next week is a great clear out of players that aren’t good enough. Getting a potential £15m for Simms and Cannon is also great business for two players that really weren’t gonna make it here.

I genuinely do think we’ll get through the season and survive, it’ll be depressing but I think we have enough.

My main hope is that with the profit made this window, whatever it was, will help spur Moshiri out of the club. If we can get in a better financial position on the books in terms of FFP and all that I’ll happily take Moshiri pocketing the money we gathered since January to sell the club at a cheaper price. That’s the most optimistic view I can take on it at the moment.
Good post this.

Take the window on the whole it's been very good business, could it have been better ? Of course it could but there's been some big issues sorted out.

There's a real chance we score & create some goals now and getting rid of a few wasters is very good.

I think we'll be fine playing wise , it's down to the managers tactics not the players that still concerns me.

We have said that for literal eons. We sold Gordon for 40m and then "oh, January is difficult!". We sold Kean this summer and it's "oh, the summer is difficult".
But we’re not spending any money are we? So it is difficult because WE HAVE NO MONEY. I’m not defending the board or the owner I’m criticising them. It could not be any clearer that we have nothing to spend you’d have to be a simpleton not to see it this is 7 windows in a row we’ve not spent money it’s not the scouts or thelwell it’s the owner and chairman that’s the problem obviously.

Absolute disgrace. A laughing stock at this stage if I was dyche even though I dont think his the man for the job I would leave in the morning .
Pure miracle if these stay up this season. 3 out none in on a thin thread squad.
As if Dyche -after being unemployed for half a year- is voluntarily leaving his job with two years left of his £5m per year contract because we didn't do any deadline day business. Nobody in their right mind would do that, and limited transfer dealings is hardly new territory for him. He wont concern himself with what the club didn't do.

Good post this.

Take the window on the whole it's been very good business, could it have been better ? Of course it could but there's been some big issues sorted out.

There's a real chance we score & create some goals now and getting rid of a few wasters is very good.

I think we'll be fine playing wise , it's down to the managers tactics not the players that still concerns me.
Fully fit we’ve got a decently mid table probably 13 players, the problem is the rest of the squad are dreadful. If Tarkowski or Branthwaite get injured we’re in trouble alright as it means Keane back in the side but that to me is the only real danger area.

We need better fullbacks but that was never going to be fixed so we just have to deal with it regardless. I think we’ll be ok but like obviously in the sense of safe from relegation, maybe only just. I think depending on how tight the bottom of the league is it’ll be looking at 14th-17th but finishing probably less than 9 points above relegation.

keep the faith!
The harsh reality is recruitment in recent years has been abysmal and it was always going to take a few tough transfer windows to even attempt to point the ship in the right direction.

Can’t just keep pumping money into players when we aren’t in a position to.

This window has been massively successful in getting rid of a lot of dead wood on big wages. While also managing to strengthen the team somehow - it’s a decent outcome based on where we are financially. Avoiding Adams, overpaying for Gnotto etc. all wise choices too.

We’ll be ok this season, and look back at this window as being a success from a business point of view… I think. Lol
I dont believe the squad is stronger. And I dont agree we will look back on this window as a success. Even if we do manage to stay up, I think we have only a dozen outfield players under contract beyond this season. The squad is in dire need of improvements and investment and the owner did not even reinvest the money from sales today.

I'm very disillusioned and think things are going to get worse before they get better. The leadership of the club is no longer committed to improving the squad- that's my takeaway from deadline day. Its not acceptable.

DCL + Beto + Chermiti + Danjuma is surely a stronger and better set of attackers than DCL + Maupay + Simms, as for the rest you could argue both sides.

Dyche only played Mina 4 times, Coady he barely gave a look in to, Davies was a late-game sub here and there, Townsend and Begovic didn't feature, Gbamin wasn't wanted, Holgate and Simms had a few run outs between them, Cannon and Warrington and Mills were not in his plans and Maupay actually weakened the attack every time he was given a run out. There's only really Iwobi out of that list who is typically a starter, and even then what does he actually bring other than running around a lot because it's not many goals or assists.

You could make a case for both sides but I think for a team that is playing once a week, no European football and no doubt soon to be out the league cup, the squad is about exactly what you'd expect it to look like and I think the club would call it a "good window" over all.
Every other team has improved, we have sold and bought no replacements in. It's a total disgrace. How a club the size of everton get away with that is beyond me. How much of a net spend in the last 3 seasons has there been. How much longer can we scrape the bottom if the barrel. I'm usually the optimist buy can't see the great EVERTON staying up this season unless Dyche or whoever follows him pulls a masterstroke. Disgusted

Very disappointing end to what was turning out to be a decent window for us. Beto will probably play the biggest part in keeping us up this season.

It is sad that as a club though the highlights of the past 2 or 3 windows has been the good job that has been done to clear out the deadwood of the squad, we’ve genuinely done very well to sell or just get rid of a lot of these useless players. The problem is we bought them in the first place.

Getting rid of Davies, Mina, Townsend, Holgate, Gbamin, Maupay and Iwobi, probably as well shipping Gray and Gomes to Saudi in the next week is a great clear out of players that aren’t good enough. Getting a potential £15m for Simms and Cannon is also great business for two players that really weren’t gonna make it here.

I genuinely do think we’ll get through the season and survive, it’ll be depressing but I think we have enough.

My main hope is that with the profit made this window, whatever it was, will help spur Moshiri out of the club. If we can get in a better financial position on the books in terms of FFP and all that I’ll happily take Moshiri pocketing the money we gathered since January to sell the club at a cheaper price. That’s the most optimistic view I can take on it at the moment.

Good post mate, great analysis. ;)

Fully fit we’ve got a decently mid table probably 13 players, the problem is the rest of the squad are dreadful. If Tarkowski or Branthwaite get injured we’re in trouble alright as it means Keane back in the side but that to me is the only real danger area.

We need better fullbacks but that was never going to be fixed so we just have to deal with it regardless. I think we’ll be ok but like obviously in the sense of safe from relegation, maybe only just. I think depending on how tight the bottom of the league is it’ll be looking at 14th-17th but finishing

probably less than 9 points above relegation.
I love the optimism but it's a sh1t sh0w. Top 13, not a chance unfortunately hopefully top 17

Every other team has improved, we have sold and bought no replacements in. It's a total disgrace. How a club the size of everton get away with that is beyond me. How much of a net spend in the last 3 seasons has there been. How much longer can we scrape the bottom if the barrel. I'm usually the optimist buy can't see the great EVERTON staying up this season unless Dyche or whoever follows him pulls a masterstroke. Disgusted
From the club's point of view, it's very simple: the only aim is to stay in the Prem. 17th is success, anything more is a bonus. From that perspective the philosophy is simply "what is the minimum amount of investment needed to achieve this?". If Dyche matches his PPG from last season, its 44 points and safety for another year. That's all that matters to the club right now, and the squad we have "should" be good enough to achieve that if we keep everyone fit.

As if Dyche -after being unemployed for half a year- is voluntarily leaving his job with two years left of his £5m per year contract because we didn't do any deadline day business. Nobody in their right mind would do that, and limited transfer dealings is hardly new territory for him. He wont concern himself with what the club didn't do.
That's neither here or there, obviously he won't leave but if it was a normal working environment without mega bucks he would be gone, an absolute terrible run business that has to be gone near toxic to be involved with. Not a clue, rotten from the top down at this stage

I dont believe the squad is stronger. And I dont agree we will look back on this window as a success. Even if we do manage to stay up, I think we have only a dozen outfield players under contract beyond this season. The squad is in dire need of improvements and investment and the owner did not even reinvest the money from sales today.

I'm very disillusioned and think things are going to get worse before they get better. The leadership of the club is no longer committed to improving the squad- that's my takeaway from deadline day. Its not acceptable.
People can talk about down payments, cash up front, staggered payments, different years, whatever they want, but these are the cold hard facts.

All figures are estimations and are not accurate, this im aware.

Gordon 45m
Kean 27m
ISS 4m
Niels 5.5m
Iwobi 22m
Cannon 7m
Simms 7m
Stones Clause 2.5m

120m Incoming

Beto 26m
Chermo 12m
Danjuma 3m

41m Outgoing

I guess thats what a fire sale looks like.

Wonder if we’ll be looking at any of these on short term deals, probably wouldn’t be the most terrible thing. I would assume basically any over 30s will be heading to the Middle East but there’s probably something we could get for the squad, Tuanzebe for example is probably an improvement on Keane and Godfrey.

I’m well aware that I’ve probably never been more grasping at straws in regards to us signing a player but for as much as the club has apparently said we don’t want bodies for the sake of it I simply can’t accept a season with 2 keepers on the bench and not even 9 subs named.