Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree, the Tories told us they had to do these savage cuts to get the deficit cancelled, so people bought into that, the reality is after the cuts and 5 years in power, they've made hardly any in roads of reducing the deficit and have doubled the national debt.

How they get away with spinning it that they are doing a good job is baffling, truly baffling.

They've definitely failed to meet their targets, no doubt about that, but they've failed because they have cut slower than they promised. That's why Labour aren't criticising it.

Osborne has cut the deficit slower than Labour pledged to do in 2010.

When TTIP becomes law the NHS will be further privatised to the point were people will need health insurance. The Tories have opposed one section of the health service, the Ambulance service, from being included in the TTIP talks, but not the rest of the NHS.

I hear this argument a lot but I've never seen the evidence that suggests that this is the plan - care to share?

I posted this earlier in the thread but in case it was missed

http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2015/march/tradoc_153266.pdf

#5 deals specifically with what @hullefc said. Now it could be that they're lying and all of the content they're producing around the TTIP negotiations is all a big hoax, in which case I doff my cap to their Bond villain ways.

Latest poll in Scotland shows SNP at 52% and Labour at 24%

The estimate for Westminster seats in Scotland shows SNP at 56 and Labour at 2. That's almost certainly an over cautious estimate in SNP's favour although it is looking increasingly likely that they will return 40+ seats. Coupled with Lib Dem's decline, this will leave them in the likely position of "kingmakers" come any potential coalition.

I posted this earlier in the thread but in case it was missed

http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2015/march/tradoc_153266.pdf

#5 deals specifically with what @hullefc said. Now it could be that they're lying and all of the content they're producing around the TTIP negotiations is all a big hoax, in which case I doff my cap to their Bond villain ways.

'All EU trade deals leave governments free to run public services as they wish'. And the Tories have shown their utter contempt for public services. Any public service that is put out to tender, an element of being privatised, means any part of the whole is open to being put out to tender, otherwise, a company can resort to taking a government to court.

What is TTIP? And six reasons why the answer should scare ...

'TTIP’s biggest threat to society is its inherent assault on democracy. One of the main aims of TTIP is the introduction of Investor-State Dispute Settlements (ISDS), which allow companies to sue governments if those governments’ policies cause a loss of profits'.

'All EU trade deals leave governments free to run public services as they wish'. And the Tories have shown their utter contempt for public services. Any public service that is put out to tender, an element of being privatised, means any part of the whole is open to being put out to tender, otherwise, a company can resort to taking a government to court.

'TTIP’s biggest threat to society is its inherent assault on democracy. One of the main aims of TTIP is the introduction of Investor-State Dispute Settlements (ISDS), which allow companies to sue governments if those governments’ policies cause a loss of profits'.

That's myth #4, and I'd rather believe documents coming from the negotiating team than I do an article in the Independent, unless you're accusing the EU not only of being incompetent but also of lying on a huge scale?

That's myth #4, and I'd rather believe documents coming from the negotiating team than I do an article in the Independent, unless you're accusing the EU not only of being incompetent but also of lying on a huge scale?

Not a huge stretch, is it, in fairness?

As soon as you take out a mortgage i.e borrow money because you cannot buy it with cash, then you have bought something you 'cannot 'afford''. To quote your good self 'stupid and greedy consumers'. Anyone who borrows can be classed as 'stupid and greedy'. If one wants to take the moral high ground with borrowing, whether it be blaming the government or individuals, then everyone who does not buy with cash is 'stupid and greedy' and should wait to purchase something with cash i.e save up and buy it.

Bloody hell, talk about putting words in my mouth, again. There is good debt and bad debt, this is a basic concept and building safety nets into any financial package to alleviate any changes in market conditions should be a prerequisite condition of entering into any financial agreement.

I would, as would Simon Stevens, who has said that he doesn't really care who provides healthcare so long as it's free at the point of care, offers excellent service to the patient and good value to the tax payer.

My initial reaction to public money going to private companies is to oppose it. When it comes to the NHS I'm quite pragmatic, if a private company can provide a better service (and I'm sure in some cases they do) than I have no issue, but I don't like public money being diverted directly to private businesses.

My initial reaction to public money going to private companies is to oppose it. When it comes to the NHS I'm quite pragmatic, if a private company can provide a better service (and I'm sure in some cases they do) than I have no issue, but I don't like public money being diverted directly to private businesses.

Like in what instances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back