Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
only problem with that is the housing associations use there housing and land stock as collateral for loans to build new houses, if you let them sell off the housing stock they have less collateral so build less, how does that help with the lack of housing.

Exactly.

Just been reading about the proposed 5 year freeze on rail fares, on the surface it sounds great but economically it doesn't stack up. Price freezes you can get away with for 2 years tops but not for 5 years.

Ultimately it will mean those working in the rail industry will face pay freezes, cutbacks and probably job losses. It will be interesting to see how it impacts the upcoming Northern/ First new franchises, I can't see a incoming company agreeing to a 5 year freeze on prices whilst also committing to providing new trains. The industry is already heavily subsidised, this policy will see the costs sky rocket further.
already got the mcnulty plan in place for that, less staff , shorter opening times ect, share holders will see a nice bit of wedge every year though.
its a freeze on not above inflation, so nothing at present if it goes up so will the fares, and those will get fiddled so some disapear ect

already got the mcnulty plan in place for that, less staff , shorter opening times ect, share holders will see a nice bit of wedge every year though.
its a freeze on not above inflation, so nothing at present if it goes up so will the fares, and those will get fiddled so some disapear ect

True, inflation is bound to pick up so potentially it is a slightly misleading claim.

Yes, the article pointed out that the McNulty plan is built in to the new franchises (Driver only trains etc). Potentially a massive headache if Labour do get in, puts them at loggerheads with the RMT right away. (The biggest trade union in the country)

Only for a few years. Energy firms profit margins are much greater and the industry is not heavily subsidised in the way in which rail travel is. Vast difference.

True.

The rail subsidies that it. Price caps are the political weapons of the 1970's though. Didnt work then, wouldnt work now.

They're a ticking time bomb for more dramatic price rises further down the line.

See, the thing that gets my goat, is that there are talented and intelligent politicians from all parties, who ultimately, want the same result. With the exception of fringe loons. On all sides.

Like, I am by upbringing, and all that, conservative, with a small "c". But I have despaired at some of the stuff DC has come out with, and him ducking out of Thursdays debate is pitiful.

I loathed Brown, but will concede he was a decent Chancellor. I supported Blair, initially at least, on the the Iraq war. Always had a regard for Darling.

I do not trust EM an inch, nor Balls. In my world, if the outcome is as expected, I would rather have an X Factor type of election with the best from bigger parties being told to form a cabinet, and get on with it, rather than the inevitable horse trading with smaller parties getting an over inflated say in policy than their support should warrant.

Will never happen. But works pretty well in the mod team!

True, inflation is bound to pick up so potentially it is a slightly misleading claim.

Yes, the article pointed out that the McNulty plan is built in to the new franchises (Driver only trains etc). Potentially a massive headache if Labour do get in, puts them at loggerheads with the RMT right away. (The biggest trade union in the country)
if labour restucture the francise, most have a built in review for the goverment or local authority, they can alter or pull the plug, Merseyrail have a long francise but every 5 years it comes up for review. they could stear clear of trouble with the RMT, ie stop all the shareholders overseas(mostly state owned) taking a huge chunk of the money we all pay for the running of the rail to fund there home rail networks in Germany, Holland , France ect and spend it on are own system.

I appreciate I speak as a homeowner, but my parents grew up in council houses.

I can't be the only person who thinks we need more social housing, not more right to buy schemes.

See, the thing that gets my goat, is that there are talented and intelligent politicians from all parties, who ultimately, want the same result. With the exception of fringe loons. On all sides.

Like, I am by upbringing, and all that, conservative, with a small "c". But I have despaired at some of the stuff DC has come out with, and him ducking out of Thursdays debate is pitiful.

I loathed Brown, but will concede he was a decent Chancellor. I supported Blair, initially at least, on the the Iraq war. Always had a regard for Darling.

I do not trust EM an inch, nor Balls. In my world, if the outcome is as expected, I would rather have an X Factor type of election with the best from bigger parties being told to form a cabinet, and get on with it, rather than the inevitable horse trading with smaller parties getting an over inflated say in policy than their support should warrant.

Will never happen. But works pretty well in the mod team!

Unfortunately those people usually end up sat on the back bench where they cannot do anything, so those that only care about themselves can make the decisions.

They're a ticking time bomb for more dramatic price rises further down the line.
they will just leave the standard fares at those levels , bring in new restrictions and do away with some other fares just alter them a bit and give them a new name.
Under BR, we had standard, cheap day, higher and lower savers and first class, that coverd most journeys.
Go online and type Liverpool to Birmingham and see how many come up, its not for the customers choice, most of the cheap fares they advertise only cover a set amount of seats then get higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back