Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Likewise, I'm sure that my Mrs would welcome you to come and see the some of the work that she does with Banardos

So still no photograph to back up your claim of children going hungry.........we all know that we have levels of poverty in this country, but merely making the language a bit more emotive, such as 'child poverty' or 'children going hungry', really doesn't help.........

So still no photograph to back up your claim of children going hungry.........we all know that we have levels of poverty in this country, but merely making the language a bit more emotive, such as 'child poverty' or 'children going hungry', really doesn't help.........

Is there a chance you might be mixing up gross malnutrition with the hunger that comes from missing a meal or three? Can't imagine anyone would be better informed by a photo of a child in the latter case.

What does a photo of a hungry child look like? Very much like a photo of any other child. If you're expecting images reminiscent of the Ethiopian famine then you're going to be very disappointed.

Where?....where are the stories in the media of all of these kids going hungry ?......where are the images of destitute children in a state of malnutrition ?.........Gordon Brown started all this nonsense with his child poverty indices......I grew up in real poverty, not this imagined stuff, and yet we never went hungry.......just pull out the pictures of today's children going hungry.........

http://www.cpag.org.uk/child-poverty-facts-and-figures

http://policy-practice.oxfam.org.uk...ducing-the-use-of-food-banks-in-the-uk-335731

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/aug/30/child-poverty-link-malnutrition-rickets

There are dozens of other resources Pete, all over the internet.

Is there a chance you might be mixing up gross malnutrition with the hunger that comes from missing a meal or three? Can't imagine anyone would be better informed by a photo of a child in the latter case.

I know mate. I just can't stand this over use of emotive language to try and paint a picture of children in the UK 'going hungry', when they are not........

Goodness, so one in four children are living in apparent poverty? Looking at the footnote of that first link, it uses 'families living below average household income' as the measure for poverty. That can't be right can it? So if you earn less than average you're living in poverty?

If we go by that metric, my brother is living in poverty, and I'm sure he'd be the first to tell you that isn't the case whatsoever.

I grew up in real poverty, not this imagined stuff, and yet we never went hungry.

You're quite defensive and competitive about your poverty aren't you?

This imaginary poverty, as you all it, is very much real and has vast effects on children in this country.

I wont bother linking you to a specific article because it really only takes a quick Google to access thousands of studies showing how widespread and detrimental child poverty is.

Not as bad as your poverty of course.

Goodness, so one in four children are living in apparent poverty? Looking at the footnote of that first link, it uses 'families living below average household income' as the measure for poverty. That can't be right can it? So if you earn less than average you're living in poverty?

This was the trick that Gordon Brown introduced........therefore if everyone earns an average of £10M a year, those on £9M are in poverty........

This was the trick that Gordon Brown introduced........therefore if everyone earns an average of £10M a year, those on £9M are in poverty........

I've no doubt many of those 3.5 million kids are having a tough time of it, but equally there will be many in that 3.5 million that aren't even close to poverty. I'm not sure using such poor statistics helps matters at all.

I mean the average wage in central London is nearly £35,000. That's a whole lot of people living in apparent poverty (my missus included)

You're quite defensive and competitive about your poverty aren't you?

This imaginary poverty, as you all it, is very much real and has vast effects on children in this country.

I wont bother linking you to a specific article because it really only takes a quite Google to access thousands of studies showing how widespread and detrimental child poverty is.

Not as bad as your poverty of course.

Of course not. That's the point. Every year that goes by this country gets richer. Today is a little better than the 1950's, and in 2050 it will be better still, so to those people, 'poverty' is relative. Not a competition, just fact......

err no , itheir is relative poverty and absolute poverty

relative poverty is a genuine concept due to social exclusion etc etc

nothing to do with labour/gordon brown

I've no doubt many of those 3.5 million kids are having a tough time of it, but equally there will be many in that 3.5 million that aren't even close to poverty. I'm not sure using such poor statistics helps matters at all.

I mean the average wage in central London is nearly £35,000. That's a whole lot of people living in apparent poverty (my missus included)

Exactly. If I wanted pictures of poverty I'm sure the Internet would provide millions, but none of them would be of modern day Britain...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back