Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair play to you sir. It's a real shame that the kids who were thrown by the wayside because they didn't pass an exam at the age of eleven never got the same opportunity though hey?

But that was my point. The kids that didn't pass were still mates with those that did and then raised their aspirations. I cannot recall any of the lads not doing well, either via university or via apprenticeships or starting their own businesses. There was no despondency, no lack of self respect, everyone just got on in life. It was because some of us saw what life could be like outside of our council estate that we all progressed..........

But that was my point. The kids that didn't pass were still mates with those that did and then raised their aspirations. I cannot recall any of the lads not doing well, either via university or via apprenticeships or starting their own businesses. There was no despondency, no lack of self respect, everyone just got on in life. It was because some of us saw what life could be like outside of our council estate that we all progressed..........
Genuinely interested, do you see the fact that you grew up in council housing as something you are in any way appreciative of?

I think so too, I'm just winding Esk up.........
I know.

I can't believe that ukip wasn't involved in this debate. Probably because they would destroy the other debaters.

The Green party is a joke on this issue. lol

Last edited:

Lots of reasons. Generations before them not going to uni leading them to believe they can't/shouldn't? I did a mentoring programme at a charity called IntoUniversity, where they work with under-privileged kids (first in their family to go into further education) to keep they on track, help them to avoid dropping out before they even start. My role was to assist with forms, practical advice and support, but we didn't discuss personal matters - the precise reasons why these kids drop out was never really discussed, but the fact remains that he was a poor kid but he was still going to uni.

Of course some poor kids go to university - I'm a working class lad who had the determination and school support to go to a good uni - but there is no denying that there are barriers in place, not least poverty. Nobody on here can seriously claim, for example, that the huge tuition fees we have today have not prevented some poorer students from even bothering. And that is a serious failure in talent development and a serious limiting of life chances.

School debate and election tomorrow - and I am representing SNP (It was that or UKIP). Any ideas on angles I can take? Why would Scottish independence benefit the English audience? Trident and the like are easy to argue against.

Looking forward to Question time tonight. Really hope Cameron gets grilled on the leaked Benefit cut proposals. If Alexander has just lifted the lid on their plans, there is going to be a lot of pressure on Cameron to justify them. He's not been too impressive at interview/questioning so far this campaign. Think Alexander's timing was deliberately made with tonight in mind.

News reports are suggesting that the LDs simply don't want to be in coalition with the Tories. I'm not talking Clegg, rather the grass roots supporters.
Being in coalition has nearly wiped the LibDem's out, it's been an absolute disaster for the party, the Tories have had them off good and proper.

URM sorry but which idiot gave them the right for a referendum without devo max in it was it not David Cameron - the same person who is now upset that as they might work one up him, by backing Labour in the next parliament!
A complete joke of a PM imo - Flashman of Eaton strikes again!

I... I just don't...

That poll I mentioned last night has just been published :

CON moves to 5% lead amongst those certain to vote with Ipsos-MORI
CON 35 +2
LAB 30 -5
LD 8 +1
UKIP 10=
GRN 8 =

he right about that reporter, what relevance does brands house hold to any views he brings up, that's an extremely weak argument

The reporter was saying what the majority of the world was thinking: "Brand, how can you talk about distributing wealth when are you living in a three million+ house and earning truckloads? Are you just trying to be controversial to sell copies of your new book?"

Brand had no response. Brand's wealth has everything to do with his views. You simply can't go off protesting about people living in extreme poverty while there are people wiping their backsides with twenties if you're one of those people.

The reporter was saying what the majority of the world was thinking: "Brand, how can you talk about distributing wealth when are you living in a three million+ house and earning truckloads? Are you just trying to be controversial to sell copies of your new book?"

Brand had no response. Brand's wealth has everything to do with his views. You simply can't go off protesting about people living in extreme poverty while there are people wiping their backsides with twenties if you're one of those people.
I really dont see what it has to do with anything,Im no fan of Brands,but the value of his house or the money in his bank account has nothing to do with his opinions on any issues

I see your point but I disagree. Brand prior to gaining his wealth was always a political activist, to suggest just because someone is well off they can not fight for equality is just not true. The easy option would be for him to sit back and count his money.

Tony Benn is another example of a wealthy man campaigning for a fairer country. He came from a very priviledged background, gave up his peerage to take his seat in the commons and devoted his life to a cause he believed in.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back