Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite possibly. I'm simply referring to his involvement with the DWP.

I think (and I've got no reason to suppose I'm right) that history will judge his reforms as a misguided attempt to reform matters which penalised the poor and had the reverse effect of that which was intended. I doubt history will label him as a malicious hooligan - more a simple man overwhelmed.

Then he ought to resign (Resigned long ago imo) before he wrecks the whole shebbang beyond repair - but that's one of the conservative goals. They despise the welfare state - yet they've all sucked at the tit at one time or another, or in one way or another.

The money they've 'saved' through the bedroom tax he's spunked on failed universal credit IT. The cretin.

But if it was open to all how is it that fewer from poorer backgrounds go through the educational pathway to successful careers?

Perhaps the government needs to do more to encourage people to go into university. Maybe through good career advisers in the poorer background schools. Sometimes these kids literally feel as if they can't go to Uni and that they are stuck with going into lower paid jobs, so encouraging them might help with this.

But if it was open to all how is it that fewer from poorer backgrounds go through the educational pathway to successful careers?
Lots of reasons. Generations before them not going to uni leading them to believe they can't/shouldn't? I did a mentoring programme at a charity called IntoUniversity, where they work with under-privileged kids (first in their family to go into further education) to keep they on track, help them to avoid dropping out before they even start. My role was to assist with forms, practical advice and support, but we didn't discuss personal matters - the precise reasons why these kids drop out was never really discussed, but the fact remains that he was a poor kid but he was still going to uni.

Lots of reasons. Generations before them not going to uni leading them to believe they can't/shouldn't? I did a mentoring programme at a charity called IntoUniversity, where they work with under-privileged kids (first in their family to go into further education) to keep they on track, help them to avoid dropping out before they even start. My role was to assist with forms, practical advice and support, but we didn't discuss personal matters - the precise reasons why these kids drop out was never really discussed, but the fact remains that he was a poor kid but he was still going to uni.
Sounds like you proved jack all there then mate

Pete, these studies compare the outcome of children whose parents were educated when Grammar schools were part of the education system so how is your point relevant?

Having come from a disadvantaged background together with many of my friends, we had the opportunity via the 11plus to get into the top schools in Liverpool that would otherwise have not been available. It had the effect of raising expectations as well as giving a first class education. This was also brought back into the communities we grew up in and raised aspirations of those who hadn't passed the 11plus. I regard the abolishment of the 11plus and Grammar Schools as the greatest educational vandalism this country has ever made. The fact it was pursued by Labour dogma on the issue, against the very people they said they represented, made it all the worse........

Lots of reasons. Generations before them not going to uni leading them to believe they can't/shouldn't?

So by virtue of your own words it cannot be true that the pathway is open to all. With respect your comments are not backed up by the extensive research into the subject.

I'd love to agree that it is open to all but the evidence is otherwise.

Sounds like you proved jack all there then mate
?

It was not my place, as part of the mentoring programme, to discuss personal life. But the fact he was going to uni proves it is available to all, as the programme is specifically for under privileged kids.

So by virtue of your own words it cannot be true that the pathway is open to all. With respect your comments are not backed up by the extensive research into the subject.

I'd love to agree that it is open to all but the evidence is otherwise.
The pathway is open to all. Whether they all stay on the pathway is a different matter. Surely you can see that? No-one is saying to anyone 'you're poor, you are not allowed to go to uni'. They all CAN. Whether they DO is a different story.

The pathway is open to all. Whether they all stay on the pathway is a different matter. Surely you can see that? No-one is saying to anyone 'you're poor, you are not allowed to go to uni'. They all CAN. Whether they DO is a different story.

I CAN borrow £1000 from wonga, get meself on a course that MIGHT land me a better-paid job.

But like an aspiring student, I have to weigh up whether I can afford to, or how it benefits me long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back