The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we not go back to defining austerity? We get that your austerity was worse than this fake austerity we have now.

Thank you, you have a least learnt something..........but what Portillo actually said was that we are continuing to spend even more than we earn, so the 'austerity' line is actually untrue...........

I know mate, it's getting late for us old folks..........

Dividend yields averaged approximately 3% in the time Brown was Chancellor. Lets say the average pension fund was 50% invested in equities. The maximum effect the tax change had amounts to no more than 37.5bps (0.375 %) per annum. Hardly destroyed the pension industry or pensions did it? Especially when pension fund TERs run at anywhere from 100 to over 200bps (1 to 2%) p.a..

Meanwhile it generated £5bn a year to be spent on schools and hospitals amongst other things.

Pete, defined benefit schemes closed because companies and individuals could no longer fund the hugely costly benefits they promised. The costs were huge because we moved into a low interest rate environment causing Gilt yields to fall (universally seen as a positive) and much higher life expectancy than previously expected by actuaries.

Alternatively, of course, companies could have asked shareholders to stump up the cash to fix the gaping hole on their balance sheets caused by unfunded pension promises, thereby reducing equity prices and capital for future investment. I think not!

Think you will find the cost of defined benefit schemes increased massively after the 1988 Income and Corporation Tax Act and the accounting standard SSAP 24 which forced Companies to properly account for the costs of providing benefits and placed statuatory maximums on pension fund surpluses.

There was a golden period to retire around that time, almost all of at huge expense to future retirees.

Thank you, you have a least learnt something..........but what Portillo actually said was that we are continuing to spend even more than we earn, so the 'austerity' line is actually untrue...........
The austerity the nation is experiencing is having less money in their pockets at the end of each month. We're the ones having to make cut backs.

For the first time in my voting life I have tried to come to this election totally neutral and decide on what I hear and read. The choices seem to be different shades of grey.:coffee:

The most frustrating thing about UKIP is that I'm sure most people would welcome a new party coming along with a range of policies that people can agree with, then they just ruin it all with the continual immigration drivel. Even people who would agree immigration might be an issue are getting completely turned
Where do you all stand on Trident?

I try not to stand on tridents. Might pierce me foot on a spiiiike.

From 50k to over a million using foodbanks in the space of this Tory government is austerity for all to see, what Portillo actually highlighted is despite all the cuts implemented by the Tories we are still spending more than we earn, doubling the national debt to 1.4 trillion, increasing the debt more in 5 years than Labour did in 13.

The Tories doing a good job for the british economy is an absolute sham and lie.

The Tories doing a good job for the british economy is an absolute sham and lie

Its a bloody good con trick though that they have so many people convinced that they're managing the finances ok.

It isn't the economy that Labour needs to get to grips with, its arguing the point that they can & have. I pointed out in a previous point that Labour choose to look forward rather than back, as defending a record can come across as though they are protesting too much. However, on this point I think they need to change the strategy.

In the run up to the financial crash, Labour were reducing the deficit whilst investing lots into infrastructure such as hospitals & schools. (I will accept that efficiencies could've been made). They need to get the message across though that the economy was in good shape & that everyone was benefiting. Funny how no one was really complaining about the welfare bill when we were well off by the way. It just demonstrates how utterly selfish and greedy people are. No complaints when the money is pouring in, but every man for himself when crisis hits, with the poor and vulnerable being the easiest of targets.

Last edited:
I think Cameron had some tough ones too, he just pretended he didn't hear them. The food bank question which he didn't answer springs to mind.

He barely answered a question at all until, bizarrely, the NHS one, which had every appearance of being staged to me.

Surprised the concensus is Cameron won - he had a 'mare to me, but I was looking for substance over style. All I saw was a man lie and evade questions over and over again, especially over Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back