The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, no, I think you're overplaying that a bit (actually, a lot...), the Guardian have spent the past 5 years up Labour's arse, whereas the Independent have been hardly been the coalitions biggest fan - I'd have been staggered if the Guardian didn't support Labour.
The Guardian backed the Libs and LP in 2005; LD in 2010...so the trajectory was away from Labour.

It's a surprise they formally endorsed Labour this time. It was expected they'd stay out of the fray.

Not really a major revelation here, but I find it note worthy nonetheless: #ToriesOutNow is trending UK wide on Twitter. Considering two thirds of UK Twitter's users are 34 and under, it's pretty telling of what the thoughts of the younger generation of the UK are.

I live in Labours safest seat, no party has even posted a leaflet. They know it's safe or unwinnable and consequently don't give a toss.

I live in one of the safest seats Labour have. Due to lack of funds compared to the Tories there has been a strategy in place to twin safe seats up with marginals. Eg My constituency is twinned with Warrington South, so we split campaigning 50/50 between our area and Warrington. Not ideal I know but given how scarce resources are for leaflets and billboards are its all we can do.

I fully understand you feeling neglected and I assure you that's not the case but in order to make a difference we've got to win the key seats. Surprised you've had no contact at all though with local elections going on, there's plenty of councillors in each ward up for reelection.

I live in one of the safest seats Labour have. Due to lack of funds compared to the Tories there has been a strategy in place to twin safe seats up with marginals. Eg My constituency is twinned with Warrington South, so we split campaigning 50/50 between our area and Warrington. Not ideal I know but given how scarce resources are for leaflets and billboards are its all we can do.

I fully understand you feeling neglected and I assure you that's not the case but in order to make a difference we've got to win the key seats. Surprised you've had no contact at all though with local elections going on, there's plenty of councillors in each ward up for reelection.
In my humble opinion, and I an ex Labour member, there is so little real difference now once a party is in power. They are so similar it's disheartening.

My heart tells me to vote Labour like I always have done (except in 2010 when I just could not vote for Brown) but my head keeps intervening and reminds me that Labour's economic policy is just waffle, with no content and little credibility. I do wish it was different but I can't trust them not to make another chuff up of things.

Not sure who that leaves as an alternative though:dodgy:

It was a global crisis, originating in the USA! It would have happened to a Tory government too (and it all originated from libertarian deregulation of the banking sector).

Not really a major revelation here, but I find it note worthy nonetheless: #ToriesOutNow is trending UK wide on Twitter. Considering two thirds of UK Twitter's users are 34 and under, it's pretty telling of what the thoughts of the younger generation of the UK are.

No different to how its always been among young voters. As for the Twitter comments, how many of these have registered to vote, or intend to make the effort to vote? The bookies are calling the turnout at about 67%, and it is Labour who will be hit hardest by those not bothering. The political apathy in this country of those under 30 is a real worry.

Voting intentions of 18-24's is typically around: 25% Con, 38% Lab, 10% LD.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking twitter trends mean anything. Half the time it is full of one direction tripe.

No different to how its always been among young voters. As for the Twitter comments, how many of these have registered to vote, or intend to make the effort to vote? The bookies are calling the turnout at about 67%, and it is Labour who will be hit hardest by those not bothering. The political apathy in this country of those under 30 is a real worry.

96 was a labour landslide, in 98 there was a european election (with 20% turnout) and the tories won a majority, comfortably.

By and large, the voters who always vote are tory and the voters who sometimes stay away are labour.

In my humble opinion, and I an ex Labour member, there is so little real difference now once a party is in power. They are so similar it's disheartening.

Disagree with you on this. Under Blair and Brown without doubt this was the case but not under Miliband, for the first time in a generation there is a clear line in the sand between the big two.

96 was a labour landslide, in 98 there was a european election (with 20% turnout) and the tories won a majority, comfortably.

By and large, the voters who always vote are tory and the voters who sometimes stay away are labour.

97 but I take your point. Labour have always been heavily reliant on there being high turnouts (as there was in 97). In very very general terms, older voters are more likely to vote no matter what and tend to become more conservative with age, and younger voters who may or may not choose/bother to vote tend to be more liberal. Very simplistic but a 67% turnout will do Labour no favours.

Disagree with you on this. Under Blair and Brown without doubt this was the case but not under Miliband, for the first time in a generation there is a clear line in the sand between the big two.
I wish you well mate, really. I'm a bit old school and until essential services like the utility companies are in a manifesto to be re- nationalised I'm keeping out.

But Cameron is a fairly liberal Tory and has spent 5 years trying to cut the ground away from under Labour's feet. A reversal of Blair of course.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back