The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
....wonder if a stalemate will result in a push for Proportional Representation.
I think the 2 main parties will be resistant still. From a personal perspective, I would be cautious of a system which would result in the likes of UKIP having a stronger voice at Westminster. In a week where legitimacy seems to be the major player in arguments about democracy, I am concerned that we once again play into the hands of those with views that I feel have absolutely no place in our society. I've said it before, the more representation UKIP have, the more that the general public will view their opinions as acceptable. In my mind, this would not be good for our country.

I had been looking forward to the whole election campaign but it has been utterly sterile and insipid, every comment is scripted and rehearsed, no one allowed to talk off the top of their heads, all loose cannons banned. UKIP have barely managed to rouse themselves from their slumbers and Labour just as we expected have based their whole campaign on a single issue, to masque having so little to say on economic policy. The Tories have just gone blah blah blah. Thank god for the spirit and passion injected by wee hen Nicola.
Only Milliband/Balls have appeared for Labour, only Clegg for the Lib Dems, only Cameron and sometimes Osborne for the Tories. I've seen Danny Alexander a couple of times, Andy Burnham just once, Yvette Cooper just once, Theresa May just once and so on. No variety, no personality. Cameron clearly wants to run the whole campaign single-handed and won't allow a rival leadership candidate any time in the spotlight. The only other Tories to have been allowed any time are William Hague (retiring) and John Mayor (long since retired).

I had been looking forward to the whole election campaign but it has been utterly sterile and insipid, every comment is scripted and rehearsed, no one allowed to talk off the top of their heads, all loose cannons banned. UKIP have barely managed to rouse themselves from their slumbers and Labour just as we expected have based their whole campaign on a single issue, to masque having so little to say on economic policy. The Tories have just gone blah blah blah. Thank god for the spirit and passion injected by wee hen Nicola.
Only Milliband/Balls have appeared for Labour, only Clegg for the Lib Dems, only Cameron and sometimes Osborne for the Tories. I've seen Danny Alexander a couple of times, Andy Burnham just once, Yvette Cooper just once, Theresa May just once and so on. No variety, no personality. Cameron clearly wants to run the whole campaign single-handed and won't allow a rival leadership candidate any time in the spotlight. The only other Tories to have been allowed any time are William Hague (retiring) and John Mayor (long since retired).

I'd agree with all the above.

The most exciting speech was Blair entering the fray on Europe. Nothing else of note at all.

The Tories have to reach 290 seats and the LDs need to have a very good night on Thursday for the status quo to remain intact (and I'd throw in that Labour have to perform as catastrophically as the polls suggest in Scotland for that to occur).

So what we're looking at in reality - and with almost no chance of changing at this late stage - is a CON/LD coalition propped up by DUP consent: a political party from the thuggish world of N.I. politics with all the past and present associations that go with it.

Congratulations Mr Cameron. 5 years after failing to win an election when all you had to do was shoot some fish in a barrel but you missed, you bring us to the point where our country will be governed by connivance with the terrorist politics of N.I.

What a statesman. His legacy is assured, for all the wrong reasons.

Brand is NOTHING but a self publicist
He has done enormous damage in the past few months by urging his impressionable teenage fan club NOT to vote.
Now that THE DEADLINE FOR REGISTERING TO VOTE IS PASSED, he suddenly says 'vote Labour'

Too late now for those who listened to his inane ramblings and did not register

The Tories have to reach 290 seats and the LDs need to have a very good night on Thursday for the status quo to remain intact (and I'd throw in that Labour have to perform as catastrophically as the polls suggest in Scotland for that to occur).

So what we're looking at in reality - and with almost no chance of changing at this late stage - is a CON/LD coalition propped up by DUP consent: a political party from the thuggish world of N.I. politics with all the past and present associations that go with it.

Congratulations Mr Cameron. 5 years after failing to win an election when all you had to do was shoot some fish in a barrel but you missed, you bring us to the point where our country will be governed by connivance with the terrorist politics of N.I.

What a statesman. His legacy is assured, for all the wrong reasons.

Be surprised if the Tories get to 290. Hope / think they'll be nearer to 280 than 290. Depends on the Lib Dem vote holding up in their English seats though.

Be surprised if the Tories get to 290. Hope / think they'll be nearer to 280 than 290. Depends on the Lib Dem vote holding up in their English seats though.

I dont think they'll get to that figure...to lose net 15 seats after a savage austerity campaign (which they promise will get even sharper), not much chance of that.

I still believe they'll get a bit of momentum in the last two days of full campaigning and maybe the polls/forecasts will show that.

Definite hung parliamant. It's just a matter now of what patchwork quilt of parties get together to form a government.

The centre/right right alliance will not muster enough seats - con/LD 300 - 305 (max) UKIP/DUP can not make up the parliamentary deficit.

The only person who can command the confidence of the House is Ed Miliband.

Up here in the Stockton South seat I live in a lot of money has been spent by labour and the tories. Every day propaganda leaflets through the door, bill boards full of Alex Salmond robbing our cash apparently if Labour get in a coalition.

Streets are full of Tory and Labour posts, all out media war. Currently a Tory Majority of 268 votes, its a must win for Labour.

The centre/right right alliance will not muster enough seats - con/LD 300 - 305 (max) UKIP/DUP can not make up the parliamentary deficit.

The only person who can command the confidence of the House is Ed Miliband.

Cameron as sitting PM will get first dibs on trying to construct a working government and I can't see why the Lib Dems would desert him now if there was a chance of another formal pact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back