Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
the lad votes Labour Bill, the modern labour party is hardly a marxist organization these days, so listing some radicals in the UK doesn't mean the policies or ethos @Seanjd follows are unworkable

I'd say given my limited experience of right-wing press in the US, the are probably more extreme in your own country, just an outside observation, right wing or not in the UK we have some very powerful people with significant media control who act out of total self interest, ie they will be richer more powerful men under the tories, and influence people as a result

The press in the USA is so left wing that is generally acknowledged to be the mouthpiece of the Democratic party. The joke in our country is that they're "Democratic operatives with bylines."

That's why they're not considered right wing in our country. Radio is right wing (Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity) but they've only become successful because the mainstream media needed an opposing voice that wasn't being provided by any of the major networks or newspapers in this country. They filled that void. FOX has since become successful because it's viewed as the "right wing" alternative to the ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, and MSNBC.

The press in the USA is so left wing that is generally acknowledged to be the mouthpiece of the Democratic party. The joke in our country is that they're "Democratic operatives with bylines."

That's why they're not considered right wing in our country. Radio is right wing (Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity) but they've only become successful because the mainstream media needed an opposing voice that wasn't being provided by any of the major networks or newspapers in this country. They filled that void. FOX has since become successful because it's viewed as the "right wing" alternative to the ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, and MSNBC.

There are clearly different understandings of what is meant by left and right wing when it comes to Britain and the US, so none of this is really relevant. Our right wing, generally, is your left.

Would the SNP be able to enact another referendum through Parliament if the Tories are in charge? After all if it did happen then you'd imagine that it would put them in a tough decision for the next GE? It would just end up with Labour v Con which wouldn't be in their interest.

There are clearly different understandings of what is meant by left and right wing when it comes to Britain and the US, so none of this is really relevant. Our right wing, generally, is your left.

And there you go. I had a misunderstanding of what's right and left in your country.

Here: Right = Conservative and Left = Liberal.

It's all about differing perspectives. What you consider left wing we'd probably say was right.

And there you go. I had a misunderstanding of what's right and left in your country.

Here: Right = Conservative and Left = Liberal.

What I mean is your political landscape lies further to the right than ours. Although that is changing as we speak. Our right wing wouldn't seem so right wing in the US.

Perversely this election result may lead to the break up of the UK and it's isolation from Europe as the right wing get their way.

It's funny how things can work out.

I just feel so powerless now.

Large swathes of Northern England are facing the return of the Thartcher terror.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back